PDA

View Full Version : Congrats to Virgin Australia cabin crew

MACH082
12th Nov 2011, 08:32
My Grandma taking the once in a lifetime cruise after her husband died, flew her return sector on VA.

The seat back video didn't work and the fella in front of her had his seat pushed back crushing her. She is also an extremely nervouse flyer and ths was her first since the 707 to Singapore in the 60s.

What did the crew do? Rather than say choke on it, you get what you pay for, or it's all about choice would you like a muffin, that'll be $30 :O They whacked her in business and gave her the highlight of her trip. She's raving about the airline to all her friends at the local clubs too.

Credit when credits due, thanks guys. This is why Virgin is going from strength to strength and others continue to suffer.

my oleo is extended
12th Nov 2011, 08:59
Well done MACHO82, that is sort of passenger service that a passenger should receive....you certainly won't get that these days on QANSTAR or Jetstar.

If Borghetti is astute as we all believe he is he won't have to spend money advertising the Virgin business, just simply provide good service and sit back and enjoy the incoming business and leisure traveller that are sick of the QANSTAR Groups pathetic service and standards.
Also, has Virgin considered matching QF's lounge membership by offering the following - Present your Qantas Club membership card or frequent flyer card to Virgin and they will match it (as close or similar as is possible), for free, maybe for a limited time such as the next 3 months etc? Might be a way to strike while the iron is hot and pick off some of QF's customer base which have had a gutful of Joyce and his two-bit outfit...

bankrunner
12th Nov 2011, 09:07
Actually, yes. Virgin had a status matching promo, it only closed the other week.

Got my gold Virgin card to match QF, cheers for that JB :ok:

my oleo is extended
12th Nov 2011, 09:14
Well there you go! I had heard that some disrupted QANSTAR pax had been offered a membership trade so to speak.
I reckon they should then bring the status matching back for 3 months, stick it to the little Irish toad.

Turkeyslapper
12th Nov 2011, 10:09
I have been a QANTAS club member for 15 years and have considered myself to be loyal QF supporter however....I recently flew with VA in premium economy with my family from Australia to Abu Dhabi where I live.

Whilst not wanting to start a VA vs QANTAS slanging match, from my one and only VA experience I have to say that I found it to be a far superior product to what I am used to on QANTAS. I will stick with QF domestically for now however internationally, VA gets my vote! Also good to see an Aussie airline servicing the middle east!! :ok:

Cheers

Turkey

teresa green
12th Nov 2011, 10:47
Well I must say I have to give JQ a bit of a thanks the other day myself. Down in NTL to see the family, and booked staff travel to go back to OOL on the flight last monday leaving at 1040. We boarded and then at the Skippers request, disembarked, his explanation that neither he or the gingerbeers were happy with the port donk. The JQ staff and crew were excellent, handing out food vouchers, and helping and assisting those that required it. The upshot was they required a part, and I can only guess they needed it to come from elsewhere, for there we sat for seven hours, until dept at 1640. Meanwhile the JQ staff tried to get people on other aircraft, not easy as services to NTL are fairly restricted, but top marks to them, they kept the PAX informed all the time, met each and every request to the best of their ability. There were the whingers of course, but most took it with humor, and said rather be down here then up there with a problem, and got happily smashed, for the start of their holiday. Well handled JQ.

turbantime
12th Nov 2011, 10:57
The reason behind this is simple, JB has empowered the captains and cabin supervisors to make decisions on their flights as they see fit. Under the previous management the CS would have to hope like hell none of the other crew members or ground crew didn't dob them in and if the CS themselves filled out some paperwork for it they'd be pulled in for tea n bikkies to explain their actions.

Another simple action which doesn't cost anything and is now paying dividends for the airline.

surfside6
12th Nov 2011, 12:42
Qantas Cabin Crew are over managed.Basically to need to ask permission to fart.Prior to privatisation if you could justify a decision on the basis of commercial or medical need you were congratulated as has been the case with this thread.
The Maccas chick working behind the counter has more empowerment than a Qantas Onboard Manager.The promotion procedure at Qantas is skewed toward the indecisive and compliant

Captain Gidday
12th Nov 2011, 13:19
^^^^^^ Yep, what he said.
Very few cabin crew in QF these days, in any rank, will use any form of initiative. Two strikes, Gulag 'summer camp' to reprogram recalcitrants, dobbing from disgruntled Gen Ys. It's a minefield. Better to play safe, stick to the rulebook, stay within the box.
Just like Continental used to be run, years ago, and failed. And then along came new CEO Gordon Bethune at Continental who, first thing, burnt all the rule books and empowered the staff.
Airline took off like a rocket, as did its share price.
He wrote a book about the turnaround in Continental - "From Worst To First". Obviously, JB is using it as his playbook and template. Well done.
Never was translated into Irish or the language of Wagga Wagga, sadly.

beaver_rotate
12th Nov 2011, 13:23
SKYBED to Perth with QF a few weeks back, both our beds failed in the horizontal sleeping posi, IFE stopped working, no reading light, proceeded to eat our meals in the dark whilst lying completely flat (with infant on lap). "Sorry nothing we can do". I thought this will be interesting on landing.... top of descent, off to the crew rest we all go... I guess we got what we paid for ($140 :oh::oh:)

Race Bannon
12th Nov 2011, 23:25
The travelling public apparently want cheap airfares but when the maintenance of aircraft falls down they complain.You want everything to work?.You want an empowered workforce who can make decisions without career ending reprisals?~dont fly a LCC.
A prediction....Virgin will be the Australian flag carrier within 5 years.The rise and rise of Virgin will be fascinating to watch.When the formula is there for all to see why do so many Airlines continue to get it wrong?

ozbiggles
13th Nov 2011, 09:49
For the Qantas CC and anyone else who votes for it, it is what happens when you get a A and B scale.
Any manager who can fire a A scaler (i.e. someone with time up but more $ to employ) gets a bonus for saving the company money over time.