PDA

View Full Version : Collision Avoidance System

ScottyM45
12th Nov 2011, 00:13
Hello All,

Firstly, I am designing a wing collision avoidance system for my final year project at university. I have some help from a small aerospace design firm, however it is limited as it is such a small company they are always very busy. The system design for this stage for my project is going to be based on the config of a 737-700/-800, there is a single aircraft I have quite a lot of data for, however documents (IPC, AMM, SRM etc) can only do so much for me.

I have considered many systems and architectures with odd locations and many have been deemed unsuitable. I am currently looking at putting a device into the wing tip. Now here is my problem, I am struggling to find data, images and general space availability inside the wing/wing tip of a 737-700/-800, the layout of the lighting and equipment etc.

My search has lead me here, I was wondering if you ladies and gentlemen would be able to assist me in acquiring some more data on such a topic, in the form of images, documents, experience and knowledge etc.

Many Thanks to you all and any help is kindly appreciated,

Scott Moffat,
Royal Aeronautical Society Student Representative
Aerospace Systems Engineering Student (MEng)

grounded27
12th Nov 2011, 00:28
By wing collision I immagine you mean tip, to reduce accidents on the ground? On the aircraft you have been assigend there is not much inside the tip, lighting only. There is plenty of space to remove the backup warning device out of your favorite auto and retrofit it in a B738. Sensors facing FWD, outboard and AFT should not be a problem as well as routeing wires along the wing.

ScottyM45
12th Nov 2011, 00:41
Yes, what I meant was wing tip collision avoidance, to avoid wing tips colliding with other aircraft, building or objects.

It is pleasing to know that there may be the possibility of placing a system in there. As for motorcar systems, we are talking much larger ranges. Looking more towards laser ranging.

With any of these systems it may be necessary to replace some of the material in the wing, so that the signals can propagate through. Obviously, taking into account allowable damage in the SRM.

However I still need data/pictures/layout of the internal wing structure on a B737-700/800.

Many Thanks,
Scott

grounded27
12th Nov 2011, 03:35
Are ultrasonic prox. not simple enough to calibrate to say a 25' max range? Seems practical to me.

Kuchan
12th Nov 2011, 10:11
B737 NG SRM, winglet mod: MDL-AP37-8-0611 and physical visit to hanger would give you some idea of the space inside the winglet.

B737 is small aircraft. The pilots can easily look out for wing tip clearance.

The momentum of a moving aircraft is not going to be stop as wish especially in a wet night when visibility is bad.

A wide body aircraft, B777, A330, A340, A380 would be a better choice. Even so, there are always ground marshall and his assistance to look out for clearance on ground where maneuver is tight.

Fitting a collision system requires a lot of bureaucratic approvals and may interfere with wing tip flux unit for navigation system.

Big modern aircraft like B777 has the optional already approved cameras fitted at both stab. for a clear view of both wings.

Wing tip collision system may be a good idea for a school project but is it practical and commercial viable.

ScottyM45
12th Nov 2011, 10:39
The thing is some aircraft are recorded taxiing at quite high speeds, as for the certifying body it must include some of the worst case situations. Taking into account these speeds, wet weather and aircraft weight the sensing/stopping distance increases as the pilot needs to be warned earlier.
However slower speeds can allow for a shorter distance and will be taken into account in the design of the system.

As for the choice of aircraft, I understand that a B777, A340/80 would be a more logical choice for the design of the system, however it may be possible to have the system finished off after the project at university, manufactured and certified to be tested on a B737 with a willing operator. Also the concept of the system will allow me to install it on various different types of aircraft, obviously installation and space requirements will be different.

A physical visit to a hangar would be incredibly useful, however I do not have the contacts to do so, plus they have to be willing to let me see inside the winglet access panel and I doubt I will have much luck with. Hence I have been brought here to see if I can get any documentation/photos etc.

737 have been involved in many wing tip collisions, such as two ryanair 737's collided into each other damaging both wings in 2010, even though the risk is greater with large aircraft it still happens across the whole aviation sector.

Many Thanks!
Scott

glum
15th Nov 2011, 10:49
Perhaps you should look into collaborating with other students looking into see-and-avoid systems for UAV's?

Or something as simple as a CCTV system with a camera in the wing tip...

ScottyM45
15th Nov 2011, 11:49
Glum,

I have thought of using a camera system as well as an automated warning system, which the warning system will alert pilots of a possible collision and then the image from the camera is displayed, however if I was in a cockpit and I was being told there was a collision threat I would then proceed to look out the window rather than the monitors.

Using only a camera system would remove the automated waring system, unless I use advanced video recognition software, however I do not have the skill level for this type of system design.

Anybody know how far apart the zeus rail are in the cockpit panels?

Many Thanks,
Scott

Kuchan
15th Nov 2011, 13:48
B777 has the cameras on both Stab.(optional) for the complete view of both wings and beyond. A camera on nose to see the tug area and a camera in the belly to see ahead of the aircraft which is what you are viewing on your small TV screen when flying.

ScottyM45
15th Nov 2011, 15:58
Many thank for bringing this to my attention Kuchan.

I may have found what I need for the wing tip structure, in the SRM chapter 57.
I have also found the boeing drawings for the strip receptacle for the panels (BACS22A) and the filler panels (BACP10U).

Many Thanks,

Scott