PDA

View Full Version : EC130 down in Hawaii, 5 dead

MikeNYC
11th Nov 2011, 01:18
4 tourists, pilot killed when tour helicopter crashes near school on Molokai island in Hawaii - The Washington Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/4-dead-in-molokai-helicopter-crash-in-hawaii-unclear-who-owns-aircraft/2011/11/10/gIQApeIl9M_story.html)

Operator believed to be Blue Hawaiian:

HONOLULU — A helicopter taking four tourists on an excursion over West Maui and the neighboring island of Molokai crashed into a mountainside near an elementary school Thursday, killing all of the tourists and the pilot, authorities said.

Maui County spokesman Rod Antone said firefighters recovered four bodies and believe they found a fifth at the crash site on the eastern part of Molokai, but they were having trouble retrieving it under the wreckage.

Blue Hawaiian Helicopters owner David Chevalier confirmed that five people were dead. He said the passengers were two men and two women from the mainland U.S. They were taking a 45-minute tour that departed from Kahului, on Maui.

He declined to release the pilot’s name because his wife had not yet been notified.

“We’re extremely grieved for our pilot as well as the passengers,” he said. “Something like this can’t be more devastating to us.”

The Maui Visitors Bureau was helping families of the victims, Antone said.

The EC-130 chopper that crashed was less than a year old and was being leased from Nevada Helicopter Leasing LLC, Chevalier said.

Kilohana Elementary School’s health aide saw the helicopter hit the hillside in the mountains above the campus, and there was a large boom, said Principal Richard Stevens.

“We just had a heavy downpour. We made the assumption it was thunder,” Stevens said. “You could see smoke coming up, even though it was very cloudy.”

The helicopter was engulfed in flames, said Federal Aviation Administration spokesman Ian Gregor.

From the school, the helicopter’s yellow tail could be seen pointing up from the ground.

Stevens went into all of the classrooms and instructed the 71 students to stay inside.

“We didn’t go on lockdown,” he said. “The kids were never in any immediate danger.”

The campus, about a quarter mile from the crash site, was being used as a staging area for emergency workers.

Molokai is a mostly rural island of about 7,000 people between Maui and Oahu, where world leaders have gathered this week for the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation summit in Honolulu.

Helicopter tour companies advertise trips to Molokai to see the island’s sea cliffs and Hawaii’s tallest waterfall. The remote Kalaupapa peninsula on Molokai is where Hawaii exiled leprosy patients between 1866 and 1969.

Tour helicopters have come under heavy scrutiny over their safety in recent years around the country, most recently after a deadly chopper crash in Manhattan last month. Some lawmakers called for a ban on tourist flights and pleasure trips by privately owned aircraft in Manhattan following that crash.

Blue Hawaiian conducts 160,000 tours each year on all of the Hawaiian islands, Chevalier said.

A Blue Hawaiian helicopter was previously involved in a July 2000 crash that killed seven people on Maui. Pilot Larry Kirsch, 55, and six passengers died when the twin-engine AS-355 crashed into a steep mountainside deep in Maui’s Iao Valley.

A National Transportation Safety Board report on that crash said the pilot was responsible. He failed to maintain enough altitude over the terrain amid low-lying clouds, and the helicopter slammed into the side of a ridge in the valley, the report said.

There have been other tour helicopter crashes in the islands over the years.

In March 2007, four people died when a Heli-USA Airways helicopter crashed at Princeville Airport on Kauai.

Three passengers drowned in 2005 after a helicopter crashed into the ocean off the coast of Kauai. The previous year, five people were killed when a helicopter crashed into a mountain on Kauai.

Rest in peace.

ReverseFlight
11th Nov 2011, 14:17
What a terrible tragedy for a helicopter company with an exemplary record. I am speaking as a chopper pilot who has previously flown to the Panda Ranch on Molokai and would describe the trip as a straight forward one.

I note references to a downpour but I doubt it was inadvertent entry into IMC because Blue Hawaiian's EC130s are equipped with terrain mapping screens which I believe are guided by GPS.

Thoughts and prayers for the victims and their families.

Gordy
11th Nov 2011, 15:13
Thoughts go out to all concerned.

Having flown in Hawaii for 7 years, I know that there are many factors that could have contributed to this tragedy.

Just a slight correction: helicopter company with an exemplary record

Not quite---this is their second fatal accident. However, Blue Hawaiian has done much to promote safety in the islands, and I think they are probably one of the better companies, (no, I did not fly for them).

It always would be a conundrum that many of the good companies had previous accidents and there was one that did have an "exemplary" record for most of its time in Hawaii and yet was generally regarded as the "bottom feeder" company with the worst mx etc. That company is no longer in business.

As for the "inadvertent IMC": The weather in Hawaii is the most changeable I have ever flown in. Almost every day you are flying in heavy downpours which can reduce visibility from 3 miles to half a mile in an instant. I have flown down valleys with a clear exit at the back end, and half way down watched the back end get covered in clouds, then turn around to see the front blocked in. The valley is only 5 miles long----those familiar with Hanalei valley will know what I am talking about.

Yes the aircraft probably had a "Terrain warning GPS", but, when the weather gets nasty, one would typically fly closer to the ridges to maintain ground reference regardless of equipment. My philosophy was "never lose sight of the ground", the decision to switch to instruments would be a tough one in this situation.

Most if not all of Blue's helicopters have built in camera and video recording equipment on board. If it survived, hopefully it will give the NTSB a good start to their investigation.

RIP.

tottigol
11th Nov 2011, 17:36
Quote from above:
"I note references to a downpour but I doubt it was inadvertent entry into IMC because Blue Hawaiian's EC130s are equipped with terrain mapping screens which I believe are guided by GPS."

How would that equipment prevent entry into IIMC?:rolleyes:

Tragedy strikes again, sorry to hear how a trip to paradise on Earth finished tragically.
My condolences to the families of those involved.

ReverseFlight
12th Nov 2011, 10:01
helicopter company with an exemplary record I have no connection with BH but they've had a longer and safer record than any of the other present or past companies operating in Hawaii, a credit to the hard work the Chevaliers have done over the years.
How would that equipment prevent entry into IIMC?I just said I doubt that happened, not that it would prevent it happening. There's no way you can stop people taking risks.

I have flown down valleys with a clear exit at the back end, and half way down watched the back end get covered in clouds, then turn around to see the front blocked in.One of BH's ex-mil pilots with over 30,000 hrs once told me he got himself into exactly that situation in Hanalei valley once - he was lucky to find a tree top as his only visual reference and hovered 20 minutes over it until the fog cleared - never to be repeated again.

Gordy, do I know you ?

Gordy
12th Nov 2011, 15:41
Reverseflight:

I have no connection with BH but they've had a longer and safer record than any of the other present or past companies operating in Hawaii, a credit to the hard work the Chevaliers have done over the years.

I have no connection with them either, and I also give credit to Dave for the hard work towards safety he has contributed. I worked with him as a member of the FAA appointed Hawaii Air Tour Safety Working Group, (HATSWiG), during my time in Hawaii.

They do not have a "longer and safer" record than all the other companies on the islands however. The one I flew for has been in business the same amount of time, if not longer and had zero fatal accidents and only one hard landing. There are two other companies that spring to mind that have had less accidents.

What is ironic, is that I flew for a "bottom feeder" company for a few months to get my "foot in the door". They had hidden switches to turn off the hobbs meters, broken compasses, aircraft pieced together with "unapproved and undocumented" parts, and were able to claim a "perfect safety record". (This company subsequently had a fatal accident and was shut down by the FAA, and bulletins circulated world wide about "unapproved parts").

How and with what factors do we define "safest"? If by safest we mean a companies attitude towards safety: then yes, I would probably go with your comment about Blue. From what I gather most, if not all of the "questionable" companies no longer operate in Hawaii. (And if you have flown there, you will know which ones I mean).

Attitude towards safety also includes the pilot. There have been numerous accidents in Hawaii where the pilot could have turned around. One comes to mind where the pilot thought he was better than he was because of his training. He killed himself plus 5.

Another one was where the pilots all received a monthly bonus if all the tours were conducted in less time that the "tour minutes" sold. He had a choice to turn around, but this would add 20 minutes to the monthly total. This time would need to be "shaved off" the remaining tours in the month. This company mindset in my opinion was criminal. This pilot flew through a rain shower, even though all the other tour helicopters turned around, and crashed into the ocean ultimately killing 2 passengers. He was charged with manslaughter---I do not know the outcome of the proceedings.

Pilots need to comprehend that taking off is optional---landing is mandatory. As one who was has been there, done that, the "subliminal pressure" from companies to complete flights is huge. Until you are faced with it, you have no comprehension.

Gordy, do I know you ?

Not sure.
Were you in the RAF? I flew on Nimrods from 84 thru 90
Did you fly in the San Francisco Bay area? I flew there from 90 thru 98.
Did you fly on Kauai? I flew there from 98 thru 05.
I spent one year back at HAI/Bristow as they are now, in 05/06 and now travel on fire contracts nationwide.

ReverseFlight
13th Nov 2011, 15:54
Gordy, do I know you ?I was in Hawaii on and off during the early noughties, so maybe our paths did cross.

BestoftheWest
13th Nov 2011, 16:17
Gordy - Were you in Kauai when the infamous punchup happened between two operators while their machines were running on the pad. :eek:

Gordy
13th Nov 2011, 16:47
I was in Hawaii on and off during the early noughties, so maybe our paths did cross.

Cool....too many people to keep track of these days...

infamous punchup happened between two operators while their machines were running on the pad.

Well it was more of one punched and the other fell to the ground.... followed by one being removed by ambulance and the other by police car, while other pilots shut down their aircraft. I used to do business with Bogart, sadly Bogart's company is no longer in business. Although a little on the "punchy" side, (he was a former boxer), I always got on with him and I had a lot of respect for the way he treated his staff.

I was there for the famous "swinging punch" that missed and then RZ ran, being chased by BK all around the heliport...... They made up later in the day. Then there was the big pad "swap", and some companies wrote in the grass with roundup... Those were the day... :E

Shell Management
24th Nov 2011, 19:38
No more news on this? Just another CFIT in made weather?

BestoftheWest
25th Nov 2011, 02:53
Heard through a contact at Blue and indications are weather wasnt involved. Draft report should be out in a week or two they said.