PDA

View Full Version : Hero pilot Richard de Crespigny takes sides with Qantas in IR war

Ultergra
10th Nov 2011, 21:45
The Australian:

HERO pilot Richard de Crespigny has broken ranks with his Qantas colleagues by calling for an end to "legacy practices" and declaring the airline's future lies in Asia.
The captain, who coolly landed a packed A-380 "super-jumbo" following an engine explosion after taking off from Singapore last year, has revealed that he has not joined in the pilots' industrial action against the airline, even though he belongs to the long-haul pilots' union.

Going Boeing
10th Nov 2011, 21:47
I thought that he was astute enough to not allow management to manipulate him like a pawn.

ejectx3
10th Nov 2011, 21:56
Everyone is entitled to side with whom they choose but to publicly undermine the efforts of Aipa to keep qantas jobs Australian for the younger pilots , after enjoying "legacy" conditions for his career stinks in my opinion.

What purpose does this serve other than to hurt aipa's cause? What possible positive is there in this !?

Capt Kremin
10th Nov 2011, 22:01
I cannot truly express my thoughts at this act without getting banned forever from this forum.

All I can say RPTCDC is - Enjoy drinking alone for the rest of your career.

I assume the full force of the Qantas rules on talking to the press, such as what were applied to Joe Eakins last year, will be applied in his case?

mohikan
10th Nov 2011, 22:13
Kremin. Couldn't agree with you more.

What hypocrisy. The only reason senior QF pilots have what they have now is because the guys in 1966 had the cojones to stand up to managements rubbish.

Push comes to shove for some of these guys after being on the 'A-Scale' for all of their lives, and what do you know they start drinking the company cool-aid.

I bet if you said to RDC "Hey for Qantas to survive you need to take a $200K pay cut and move to Singapore" his attitude would change quick smart.

Disgusted beyond belief.......

V-Jet
10th Nov 2011, 22:33
As I wrote before on another thread earlier:
Anyone read Discrepancy's magnificent tome in the Australian today? After being very, very fortunate with some outstanding support on 'that' flight, personally I would be more inclined to circumspection in my press outings....

The guy is under the misconception he is in for a management position. That has to be the only answer. Maybe RedQ uniforms have more gold stripes??

Knowing a little of what went on that day, Matt and Dave have every right to feel deeply misjudged (if that is the right word) by history, the idiotic 'chairmans award' and the self aggrandising 'I wanna be on Oprah' hero.

A bit like a military guy who writes his own medal commendation.

Read between the lines folks, it is intended.

ejectx3
10th Nov 2011, 22:34
I wonder what the f/o thinks of capt D. Supporting the end of his career in qantas?

schlong hauler
10th Nov 2011, 22:48
I wonder what descrepency's F/O thinks?

V-Jet
10th Nov 2011, 22:56
I wonder what descrepency's F/O thinks?

Its not just him, its anyone who has a 'professional' understanding of what went on.

Sadly incompetence is often promoted out of a system. A skill Qantas has exceptional ability at.

ohallen
10th Nov 2011, 23:01
Given Rat message on staff making public comments it will indeed be interesting to see how this is handled by Joyce and Co ........absolutely nothing will happen because they have just been delivered the PR win to turn the tables back when they were being shafted on all fronts.

Makes you wonder why someone would do this.

This will turn out to be a watershed moment in the dispute that few will forget.

ejectx3
10th Nov 2011, 23:12
Why would you come out and publicise your opinions like this? With a photo taken from the harbourside balcony that AIPA support has helped you attain through hard won wages and conditions over the years?It could only serve to alienate you from 99% of your work mates. There is only one reason to come out like this and effectively cut the rope that you have climbed just as you safely reach the top, to look back and see all those junior to you fall into the chasm...

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

theheadmaster
10th Nov 2011, 23:17
Makes you wonder why someone would do this.

If you knew the person, you would know the answer :yuk:

Capt Kremin
10th Nov 2011, 23:19
He had better be careful. There are a few of us around from a former life with some special "Dick" anecdotes that would make interesting comparisons to the "Super-pilot" tag he seems to be intent on creating.

Not for this forum of course....;)

pm me!

The The
10th Nov 2011, 23:20
I'm guessing his book is due out soon! Gotta keep the publicity up, no matter what.

TineeTim
10th Nov 2011, 23:34
Why is everyone so quick to put the boot in to this guy? Anyone who has ever been, even obliquely, involved with the media knows that often what you say bares little resemblance to what appears in print. Maybe that happened here? Some of the posts above seem to be made by people who were just waiting to pounce. It's not a good look.

mohikan
10th Nov 2011, 23:41
If you are going to open your gob in the media you are going to be selectively quoted. Ergo you don't speak at all

I, like others are interested if Qantas will enforce their own policy on media comment. I am betting they won't because it was Qantas PR that arranged the interview.

And for maximum effect, to ensure the public continues to believe all pilots are silver tails, the interview is held at RDC's multimillion dollar harbour side mansion. Again QF PR at their finest.

Capt Kremin
10th Nov 2011, 23:44
Why is everyone so quick to put the boot in to this guy?

Maybe it is because we know him?

Maybe it is because that unless Qantas sacks him like Joe Eakins, then these comments were made with the full blessing of Joyce.

But mainly, maybe it is because we know him?

His views were known within QF before this. Fine. Going public like this however, on issues that will never affect him in his current position, is a gross betrayal.

so,

Maybe it is because we know him?

CaptCloudbuster
10th Nov 2011, 23:46
A mate told me he saw a Chairmans Lounge Membership pin on Hero Dicks lapel recently.

Can anyone else confirm this "honor" was bestowed?

ejectx3
10th Nov 2011, 23:47
Going public like this however, on issues that will never affect him in his current position, is a gross betrayal.

Couldn't have put it better myself. Again WHY?

troppo
10th Nov 2011, 23:51
Let me google that for you (http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=paradigm+shift)
Let me google that for you (http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=legacy+vs+cut+price+airlines)
Let me google that for you (http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=legacy+airlines+labour+costs)

Airline Labor Unions Killing their golden goose. Frederick Dubinsky responsible for the bankruptcy of United Airlines, High Union costs destroy airline Jobs (http://www.airlinesafety.com/Unions/LaborCostsStupid.htm)
ALPA is irrelevant; ALPA destroys jobs; ALPA drives Legacy Airlines into Bankruptcy; ALPA works against the best interests of its members (http://www.airlinesafety.com/Unions/ALPAIrrelevant.htm)

Plenty of good reading to bring some balance to the argument.
The Australian workforce mentality is that 'you are owed a job'...the unions need to be broken and are parasites. Historically they played a role but unions cannot be at the cost of financial viability.

Mr Leslie Chow
10th Nov 2011, 23:51
Tim as Mohikan said this was done with intent.

I would agree with you if it had been 'on the fly' but this obviously has been planned, hopefully it dies out with not much media pick up.

I think the right things have already been written. Interesting to see where this goes to say the least.

Sheesh

adsyj
10th Nov 2011, 23:57
I'm speechless. God let me get out of Qantas soon.

ejectx3
10th Nov 2011, 23:59
The QF PR team hard at work...

Comments from the article...

Derek Merrin of Mount Tamborine Posted at 2:21 AM Today Good old common sense at last
Comment 1 of 13

steve browning of Perth Posted at 2:39 AM Today About time we heard from a dinkum aussie qantas worker!!!! Stuff all the Unions they are nothing but bloodsuckers and either Aust Unions become a hell of a lot more modern in their approach to industrial relations or they will one by one cease to have a reason to exist.
Comment 2 of 13

Craig of Sydney Posted at 2:56 AM Today Its actually fantastic to see someone with some common sense. Maybe he should be running the union, not the other turkey! His comments are all valid, Asia is booming, we all know that...we need to get on the bus !
Comment 3 of 13

Monty of Brisbane Posted at 6:26 AM Today Thanks Captain de Crespigny for supporting Qantas management in this dispute. Everything you said makes perfect sense if Qantas is to survive another 91 years. That you side with management shows how archaic this union process has become. It seems to me that these unions, and they're not alone, are struggling to win this dispute, more so for their own survival, than for seeking job security for their members. Unions are becoming more irrelevant with each passing century, and the union powerbrokers know it.
Comment 4 of 13

Helen Posted at 6:53 AM Today Congratulations to Captain de Crespigny for having the courage to say what many others in his profession probably think but are frightened to reveal.
Comment 5 of 13

anthony of Brisbane Posted at 7:35 AM Today What about our baggage handlers? Are they up there with the best in the world? On current pay rates, our suitcase handlers must be the best around. $85k to load & unload suitcases would attest to that.
Comment 6 of 13

Piano of Brisbane Posted at 7:36 AM Today I recon a lot of other Qantas pilots will end up coming to similar conclusion. The business has to grow and evolve and that will not happen if the unions are calling the shots. How about individual contracts for pilots with the union out of the frame.
Comment 7 of 13

Allan of Brisbane Posted at 7:48 AM Today At last we have some sensible comment from someone with credibility. It seems that Captain de Crespigny can see the writing on the wall and I wonder why the self-proclaimed worlds best Qantas pilots cannot understand the simple rudimentaries of what the good Captain is saying. Or is it that they really don't have faith in their worth to Qantas and fear they may be dumped along the way? Get over yourselves; you are not indespensible and you have to compete like everyone else.
Comment 8 of 13

Glenn of Townsville Posted at 8:10 AM Today A good man, de Crespigny. He's head and shoulders above the whiners who think Qantas owes them a living no matter what.
Comment 9 of 13

Tony alder of Bribane Posted at 8:14 AM Today Congratulations to Capt Crespigny. A brave man in saying what he felt was sensible and obvious to the outside world of International flying. I have been a pilot for 40 years and flown Internationally for some 25 of those years and agree totally that if Qantas pilots don't realize they live in a very competitive world, particularly within Asia they will eventually be naturally forced into unemployment. The aviation industry is one of the most difficult professions to be in and one can't rest on a "public service " type mentality in assuming that The world owes them the opportunity and security for a life time regardless of economic conditions. The Airline pilot is a professional, Qantas pilots need to set the example.
Comment 10 of 13

Keith of Brisbane Posted at 8:58 AM Today At least someone with sence works at Qantas, just need a few more.
Comment 11 of 13

Dirk Alber Posted at 9:01 AM Today I own a medium sized business and fully understand Qantas' position (in terms of potential future outsourcing of jobs) in order to be more competitive. The airline must do this to survive the competitve airline world ..and in the long run it will save more jobs from being lost. However...the timing of announcing a $2million dollar pay increase for Joyce was lousy to say the least and gives the Unions more ammunition. Can you imagine if Joyce had taken a pay cut!! and 'spruked' to shareholders and Unions that he's doing his bit for securing the long term future of the airline !!!
Comment 12 of 13

Jenny Morris of Perth Posted at 10:02 AM Today At last, a cool headed assessment of the reality that Qantas and other Australian businesses are facing.
Comment 13 of 13

On Guard
11th Nov 2011, 00:00
Totally agree. I read this this morning and was appalled. Fine if he has those views (some of his points I agree with) but have some integrity and keep them private. To go to media like this at the end of you career is not worthy of respect. I don't know the guy and don't work for QF but I have no respect for him whatsoever.

Compare him to Sully. He held up his colleagues beside him, he also spoke out for the pilots even though he never had to work again.

Shame on you.

Capt Kremin
11th Nov 2011, 00:05
Talked to some junior guys on the A380 this morning. Feelings are running high with our Dick. Could be some interesting times ahead for him.

Nuffi said.

teresa green
11th Nov 2011, 00:16
Want a management job mate? There are more subtle ways of doing it, exercising your right to your own opinion, fine around the kitchen table, but to a journo and your mug on the front page of the OZ , well, like a few in 89, you will possibly find quite a few flight decks like a fridge, and enjoy room service meals more often up the track. Hope the job is worth it, most find it is not.

The The
11th Nov 2011, 00:20
Plenty of good reading to bring some balance to the argument.
The Australian workforce mentality is that 'you are owed a job'...the unions need to be broken and are parasites. Historically they played a role but unions cannot be at the cost of financial viability.

Both JetBlue and Southwest pay considerably more than United, have a look here.

US Airline Pilot Salaries (http://www.pea.com/blog/posts/us-airline-pilot-salaries.html)

And southwest is heavily unionised (87%)

Southwest success (http://www.counterpunch.org/2010/04/01/the-secret-of-southwest-airlines/)

The second article explains why southwest is so successful:

In a 2008 in-house article, Joe Harris, a labor lawyer for Southwest, explained that the company’s harmonious employee relations were no accident. “At Southwest, our employees come first; our customers come second; and our stockholders come third,” he said. “The rationale is pretty simple. If we treat our employees right, they’re going to treat our customers right. If our customers are treated right, they will come back and our stockholders will benefit.”

It is about the most opposite to Qantas thinking as you could possibly find - just ask Dixon!

Sorry for the thread drift

Tankengine
11th Nov 2011, 00:42
Look into Dick's family companies - I think you will find that flying a 380 is just a little fun money.:hmm:

His ancestors probably only just missed madame guillotine!:E

Hardly an "average" pilot background.

Long Bay Mauler
11th Nov 2011, 00:49
Mmmmm...Sounds a bit like, "I'm right Jack"

The average punter would see him saying "I have a habourside house, $500,000 salary, and I am a Hero pilot", no wonder there is no real support for the cause.

mrdeux
11th Nov 2011, 01:06
A mate told me he saw a Chairmans Lounge Membership pin on Hero Dicks lapel recently.

Can anyone else confirm this "honor" was bestowed?

The pin is the Chairman's Award, not anything to do with the Chairman's lounge. I think you'll find that there are eight such pins in circulation amongst the long haul pilots.

iawa
11th Nov 2011, 01:12
Regardless of what union one represents, pilots, LAME or who ever, my first
priority would be to protect the Qantas brand and the people that have contributed to that reputation - ie world's best in safety, service, and product quality.
QF mgmts short term focus is destroying that reputation.
Qantas can no longer claim any right to highest standards in quality. All new fleet components are repaired by MROs whose repairers are in opposition to the equipment manufacturers OEM. Spares are drawn from a shared common airline pool and the Qantas quality acceptance standards are now diluted to accept whatever component is offered without the like for like and traceability of past. Qantas repaired units, many only a couple of years old, can be replaced with pool exchanges 20 years old and greater. Qantas spares receipt staff are already openly complaining about the MRO pool quality of spares and changed policy standards.
A380 have been outsourced to a 3rd party German MRO - Spareliners
A330 have been outsourced to a 3rd party MRO consortium headed by Air France
B737-800 have been outsourced to a third party UK based MRO - SRT
Years of relationship building with OEM suppliers has been forfeited with OEMs openly walking away due Qantas disregard and for dumping of their services and support. Qantas is putting all their reliance in the MRO and that is a disaster as $ Millions in OEM support with reliability mgmt , modification support, quality material support and cost of ownership support are all forfeited. OEMs are saying dont complain about the reliability of our product, we dont repair it and yr operation is polluted with other operator components - so we take no responsibility for yr product concerns. Qantas will make a short term saving on selling the inventory to the MRO on one fleet type of approx $ 22 M but will lose $ 50 Million over the 10 year program on lost OEM benefits. Even the values on Inventory sale benefits are overstated as MROs reject Qantas package cost.
Have a look at what remains of the Sydney and Melbourne component workshops that have effectively been closed down with workshop and professional engineers made redundant. Eleven engineers with over 300 years of service left without official farewell last Friday and their experience cannot be replaced locally.
So when the CEO says Qantas first priority is safety, then policies such as these above illustrate why we should worry about Qantas future and the Australian support content.

Oakape
11th Nov 2011, 01:24
From the article -
Anyone who touches a Qantas aeroplane has an internationally recognised and audited licence so their qualification is of the highest standard
I'm sorry, but that is just naive.

Me Myself
11th Nov 2011, 01:25
Speaking of balls........Kremlin.....you're on the spot mate.
You are doing nothing more than implying without naming. Why don't you go all the way and tell us all the juicy details of Cpt de Crespigny's carreer.
The man was ballsy or stupid enough or both to go front page and maybe not realizing what his life at Qantas would become. Or maybe he just couldn't care less with 500 000 a year, a beach house, a book to come and speaking engagement on " how to manage a crisis " at 10 000 a speach.
All what's required of you is to spill the beans hiden behind your so eloquently chosen alias. I'm sure you can manage this, can't you ? Or I suggest you shut up.
I'm waiting.

skol
11th Nov 2011, 01:51
You'll probably find the Mrs. is actually in command there.

Keg
11th Nov 2011, 02:23
Lol @ skol. I had the same thought when I read the comments this morning.

The other thing is that if guys and gals now choose to dine elsewhere or not to be available for drinks with Captain DeCrespigny, he'll be the victim. If they choose to dine with him and voice their opinions- which unfortunately won't be put on the front page of the Oz- then he'll again be the victim. Either way, he'll look good put of this when his response should have been 'no comment'.

I did have to laugh at the bit where he said we need to forego legacy conditions. Funny given he has the least to lose. It was also thoughtful of him to indicate that a move to SE Asia for me and my family is a wonderful opportunity. Perhaps hr should take that opportunity and I can take his A380 command given he thinks it's a good thing. He'll also be assisting by no longer working for 'legacy' conditions.

:ugh: :rolleyes:

ruprecht
11th Nov 2011, 02:27
Well said, Keg.

Shark Patrol
11th Nov 2011, 02:29
I'm thinking more that Far Q might want a well-known Australian pilot to be the Chief Pilot of the new amaaaaaazing business in Asia. Either that or PW is thinking of pulling the pin.

(Thinks to self) How much better it would have been to hear our (currently) most notable pilot say how Qantas careers are going down the toilet under the current management with no prospect of an end to the madness in sight.

blueloo
11th Nov 2011, 02:47
Such a Sad way for him to end his career.

To lose the respect of one's peers. What a bizarre way to go out.

(I presume he must be retiring.....after all how could you stay on after making such comments.)

SeldomFixit
11th Nov 2011, 03:07
I remember cringing when Mrs R. De C came out with her thank God He was there comments - from now on she will need to learn to cringe being seen beside a man who lost all respect from peers - there is no darker hole to inhabit:(

ampclamp
11th Nov 2011, 03:20
Just one man's opinion used in the spin war against you.
It will not effect the outcome one iota.

It is sad to hear it from someone who has benefited from the system he now has decided to dump on.

Capt Kremin
11th Nov 2011, 03:34
Me Myself, you forget that by cashing in on the QF32 incident in a way that no other pilot on that aircraft, or the QF30, or the QF72 has resorted to, this person has made himself into a public figure.

The speeches, the book and the apparently unsolicited comments in the Australian reinforce that. By making himself into a public figure the rules of privacy become very blurred. What was one or two revealing incidents that no-one really remembers in the distant past can now be placed squarely in the domain of current public interest.

If this guy is going to pass himself off as a super-pilot, and use the notoriety for personal gain including comments on how the company should be run in major newspapers during an industrial dispute between his peers and Qantas, then he sets himself up for public examination as to the veracity of his claims.

But as I said, not for this forum. All in good time. While we are at it, how about you fire your spellchecker?

Short_Circuit
11th Nov 2011, 03:43
Possibly suffering Post-traumatic stress disorder, and needs help. :confused:

thrustpig
11th Nov 2011, 03:48
I dont remember Chesley Sullenberger using his 5 mins of fame like this ?

Mud Skipper
11th Nov 2011, 04:08
NP, you must be one amazing person if you're able to justify calling 94% of QF pilots fools, people you have never even had the chance to meet.
Wow I wish we meet one day, I'm sure I'll be blown away with your greatness.:D

rh200
11th Nov 2011, 04:19
Its interesting to watch tribalism in action.

griffin one
11th Nov 2011, 04:32
dick,dick,dick,dick,dick,dick,dick,dick,tool,tool,tool,tool, tool,tool,tool,tool.

gobbledock
11th Nov 2011, 04:40
Maybe 'Dick' has been rewarded with part ownership or membership of one of the many linked Consultancies to QF as a reward for being compliant, nice little income earners they are.
Maybe he has been offered a bundle of shares, a tasty retainer or a starring role in a new onboard safety briefing video, aka Travolta?
Or maybe he has been influenced by the witch/warlock strength influences of Wirth and the 'wee man'?
Maybe he has simply lost the plot, like Management have, and he is 'off with the fairies in cloud cuckoo land'?

piston broke again
11th Nov 2011, 04:54
And do we know how much he made from this article? I'm guessing that will be the kids pocket money for the weekend.

fl610
11th Nov 2011, 04:54
In the words of Krusty the Clown - "They backed up a truckload of money - what could I do"? :uhoh:

busdriver007
11th Nov 2011, 04:59
NewPiper,
What is your problem? Suffering from Aussie "Tall Poppy Syndrome". Lee Yuan Yew spoke about Australia being the "White Trash of Asia" and with an attitude like yours that is exactly what it will become......A deal will be done sometime soon and it will trade efficiencies for job access, exactly what Dick is proposing...but on a vague promise doesn't cut it anymore....As for Dick he has sealed his fate and it will be a lonely life for him in the years to come....

Me Myself
11th Nov 2011, 05:02
kemlin
Spell checker ? Check !

Look, you are right, what I don't like is the kind of rumour or inuendo you are printing without going all the way.
Why not here of all places ??? Or are you afraid to end up in court ?

I'm afraid all you would have to print is just a few incidents where RdC didn't do too well......like a lot of others who didn't make it in the history books. No big deal really and like someone else said, it won't change a thing in your dispute with Qantas. I don't really think you can do much to hurt him.
He is the Pilot hero and that's the end of it and it will be very difficult to back pedal the story of the ideal flight deck were team work and super CRM were at work. That's what we got outside anyway.
I would be quite upset if the same happened in my outfit........ I know a truck load of potential RdC's who would love to become media stars and make tons of money.
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't this dispute start with a claim for a pay rise and some travel benefits, like access to first class ??? and you turned that into fight for australian jobs when the heat was turned on your toush ?

I saw some very happy looking Virgin crews this morning ! How ironic ! Back a few years ago they were walking around in leather jackets and now they just look like Qantas pilots in posh uniforms. This speaks volume don't you think ?

RdC is right.......about one thing and this applies to all of us who work for legacy airlines.
We are surrounded by the Singapore and the Emirates to name a few who have a cost base far lower than ours. How on earth do you propose to be competitive hanging to your porkie perk ?? If you have the solution, be so kind as to share it with me. To me, this dispute is a rehash of 1989.
This job is not like it was in 1966........and it will never be like 1966 ever again. Live with that and I don't like it anymore than you do.
You want money and consideration ? Be a banker ? They are the only one who can crash twice and still make money.

adsyj
11th Nov 2011, 05:03
I have had a gut full of you NewPiper, you don't work at Qantas P*** Off.

You are entitled to your opinion on Qantas but unless you are part of the pilot group who has been sold out by a colleague keep your trolling to any of the other Qantas threads where you can stir **** to your hearts desire.

Do us all a favour and go away.

OhSpareMe
11th Nov 2011, 05:09
Me Myself.....

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't this dispute start with a claim for a pay rise and some travel benefits, like access to first class ??? and you turned that into fight for australian jobs when the heat was turned on your toush ?

You can stand corrected mate. You are wrong.

Me Myself
11th Nov 2011, 05:11
Noted !

You mean the press is wrong ?? I can't believe it !

By the way, RdC 's balcony needs a good painting job and it's also cluttered with a lot of stuff.

V-Jet
11th Nov 2011, 05:13
Griffin:

dick,dick,dick,dick,dick,dick,dick,dick,tool,tool,tool,tool, tool,tool,tool,tool.

Here here.

Blue-Footed Boobie
11th Nov 2011, 05:16
Without a doubt all written by the same person. So bloody obvious almost laughable.
Qantas PR team hard at work indeed.

The QF PR team hard at work...

Comments from the article...

Derek Merrin of Mount Tamborine Posted at 2:21 AM Today

Good old common sense at last

Comment 1 of 13
steve browning of Perth Posted at 2:39 AM Today

About time we heard from a dinkum aussie qantas worker!!!! Stuff all the Unions they are nothing but bloodsuckers and either Aust Unions become a hell of a lot more modern in their approach to industrial relations or they will one by one cease to have a reason to exist.

Comment 2 of 13
Craig of Sydney Posted at 2:56 AM Today

Its actually fantastic to see someone with some common sense. Maybe he should be running the union, not the other turkey! His comments are all valid, Asia is booming, we all know that...we need to get on the bus !

Comment 3 of 13
Monty of Brisbane Posted at 6:26 AM Today

Thanks Captain de Crespigny for supporting Qantas management in this dispute. Everything you said makes perfect sense if Qantas is to survive another 91 years. That you side with management shows how archaic this union process has become. It seems to me that these unions, and they're not alone, are struggling to win this dispute, more so for their own survival, than for seeking job security for their members. Unions are becoming more irrelevant with each passing century, and the union powerbrokers know it.

Comment 4 of 13
Helen Posted at 6:53 AM Today

Congratulations to Captain de Crespigny for having the courage to say what many others in his profession probably think but are frightened to reveal.

Comment 5 of 13
anthony of Brisbane Posted at 7:35 AM Today

What about our baggage handlers? Are they up there with the best in the world? On current pay rates, our suitcase handlers must be the best around. $85k to load & unload suitcases would attest to that.

Comment 6 of 13
Piano of Brisbane Posted at 7:36 AM Today

I recon a lot of other Qantas pilots will end up coming to similar conclusion. The business has to grow and evolve and that will not happen if the unions are calling the shots. How about individual contracts for pilots with the union out of the frame.

Comment 7 of 13
Allan of Brisbane Posted at 7:48 AM Today

At last we have some sensible comment from someone with credibility. It seems that Captain de Crespigny can see the writing on the wall and I wonder why the self-proclaimed worlds best Qantas pilots cannot understand the simple rudimentaries of what the good Captain is saying. Or is it that they really don't have faith in their worth to Qantas and fear they may be dumped along the way? Get over yourselves; you are not indespensible and you have to compete like everyone else.

Comment 8 of 13
Glenn of Townsville Posted at 8:10 AM Today

A good man, de Crespigny. He's head and shoulders above the whiners who think Qantas owes them a living no matter what.

Comment 9 of 13
Tony alder of Bribane Posted at 8:14 AM Today

Congratulations to Capt Crespigny. A brave man in saying what he felt was sensible and obvious to the outside world of International flying. I have been a pilot for 40 years and flown Internationally for some 25 of those years and agree totally that if Qantas pilots don't realize they live in a very competitive world, particularly within Asia they will eventually be naturally forced into unemployment. The aviation industry is one of the most difficult professions to be in and one can't rest on a "public service " type mentality in assuming that The world owes them the opportunity and security for a life time regardless of economic conditions. The Airline pilot is a professional, Qantas pilots need to set the example.

Comment 10 of 13
Keith of Brisbane Posted at 8:58 AM Today

At least someone with sence works at Qantas, just need a few more.

Comment 11 of 13
Dirk Alber Posted at 9:01 AM Today

I own a medium sized business and fully understand Qantas' position (in terms of potential future outsourcing of jobs) in order to be more competitive. The airline must do this to survive the competitve airline world ..and in the long run it will save more jobs from being lost. However...the timing of announcing a $2million dollar pay increase for Joyce was lousy to say the least and gives the Unions more ammunition. Can you imagine if Joyce had taken a pay cut!! and 'spruked' to shareholders and Unions that he's doing his bit for securing the long term future of the airline !!!

Comment 12 of 13
Jenny Morris of Perth Posted at 10:02 AM Today

At last, a cool headed assessment of the reality that Qantas and other Australian businesses are facing.

Comment 13 of 13

Think Again
11th Nov 2011, 05:21
NP,
When all is said and done, in less than 5 years time there will be a new management team at QF.
There will also be a job security provision when the Sales act gets amended.:ok:

teresa green
11th Nov 2011, 05:37
Interesting to hear what the gingerbeers have to say with his take on engineering. Nah, wouldnt have been his missus, because I showed my missus, and she said, I would be furious now that the whole of Australia can see my verandah needs painting, he must be like you. Sheesh, the female take is certainly different.:ugh:

Oakape
11th Nov 2011, 05:40
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't this dispute start with a claim for a pay rise and some travel benefits, like access to first class ???

We are surrounded by the Singapore and the Emirates to name a few who have a cost base far lower than ours. How on earth do you propose to be competitive hanging to your porkie perk ??

If you want to crap on about about lower cost bases vs pay rises & first class travel, consider this. EK gave their pilots a 8.18% pay rise this year & EK captains, along with their spouses & children over 16, can travel in first class on staff travel & on annual leave. Captains also travel in first class on duty travel. Not to mention the rather large bonus that was paid this year as well.

So tell me, how are pilot T & C's part of the lower cost base of both Emirates & Singapore Airlines?

DutchRoll
11th Nov 2011, 05:59
Comment 4 of 13
Helen Posted at 6:53 AM Today

Congratulations to Captain de Crespigny for having the courage to say what many others in his profession probably think but are frightened to reveal.

Ok, now I'm really confused over which airline I fly for. Because NONE of the guys I have flown with in the last year have said anything like that in private! And certainly none of them are afraid to voice an opinion in private, I can assure you. :confused:

In fact, if Alan Joyce were privy to some of the private conversations I've heard in recent times, he would actually be quite seriously concerned on several counts.

And Kremin's words are carefully chosen. There are more than a couple of people maintaining a dignified silence there. Personally I hope it stays that way. I think it would open a can of worms otherwise.

Me Myself
11th Nov 2011, 06:05
8 % of what ??? And for how many hours. You want it ?? Then go, you can have it. 90 + hours a month, one night in Houston or New York after a 14 hours flight...... To end up living in a crappy place where your wife goes crazy from boredom.....you're going to love it.
I've worked in Dubaï, I fly there all the time and anyone living in Oz has to be ttalky skull fractured to go and work there.
First class on duty....'no , only too normal....... and no, they get buisiness.......once a year when flying back home. The rest is stand by cattle class.
Bonus ???? Guess what ? The compagny made money !

aveng
11th Nov 2011, 06:07
Hope your first act after shutdown and brakes parked is to erase the voice recorder for your sake dutchroll! Private cockpit conversations could be damaging in these times.:ok:

prairiegirl
11th Nov 2011, 06:36
what is AIPA doing to counter the QF PR machine? what is being done to win hearts and minds while battling out in the legal arena?

DutchRoll
11th Nov 2011, 06:44
Hope your first act after shutdown and brakes parked is to erase the voice recorder for your sake dutchroll! Private cockpit conversations could be damaging in these times.

No CVRs in the corner of a pub. ;)

rh200
11th Nov 2011, 06:53
No CVRs in the corner of a pub.

What about the PI standing behind you:E

Oakape
11th Nov 2011, 06:57
8 % of what ??? And for how many hours. You want it ?? Then go, you can have it. 90 + hours a month, one night in Houston or New York after a 14 hours flight...... To end up living in a crappy place where your wife goes crazy from boredom.....you're going to love it.
I've worked in Dubaï, I fly there all the time and anyone living in Oz has to be ttalky skull fractured to go and work there.
First class on duty....'no , only too normal....... and no, they get buisiness.......once a year when flying back home. The rest is stand by cattle class.
Bonus ???? Guess what ? The compagny made money !

Calm down mate. No need to get all rabid! However, it was an interesting response to my question, even if you didn't address it. I'll remind you -

So tell me, how are pilot T & C's part of the lower cost base of both Emirates & Singapore Airlines?

Oh, and by the way, regarding -

you can stand corrected mate. You are wrong.

Tuner 2
11th Nov 2011, 07:01
"What about the PI standing behind you?"

Utter garbage. Even if that was true, what would be the point? QF management are under no illusions as to the majority opinion of their pilot employees. Whilst they are pretty good at wasting money on full page ads and other expensive PR, they don't need to waste money on private investigators.

TBM-Legend
11th Nov 2011, 07:04
Quick call Brian McCarthy for advice......

Fliegenmong
11th Nov 2011, 07:05
"Comment 9 of 13
T*** a**** of Bribane Posted at 8:14 AM Today"

Not Ex CX Tripler fleet? ..... now involved in the RFDS :oh::sad:

Ejector
11th Nov 2011, 07:40
How old is this gentleman, how close is he to retirement?

amos2
11th Nov 2011, 08:00
Well, the first qantas scab has surfaced...

others will no doubt follow...

then the flow will increase...

and then?...

1989 all over again!

Mr Pilot 2007
11th Nov 2011, 08:14
Aussie Tabloid Media calling him a hero. Did he put his life on the line to save others. I doubt it.

By all accounts he did a good job and landed the plane safely and justified his high salary.

What a thing for him to say to the media.

I trust his A380 command is safe and will continue to be based in Australia, on his legacy salary he has recieved for his XXX number of years hes worked for QF. While he thinks its time EVERYONE ELSE to take a huge pay cut and live in Asia for the remainder of their working careers.

Unbelievable attitude, who is this guy?, sounds like hes been scripted by joyce. Does he get an extra pay check for his comments.

Arnold E
11th Nov 2011, 08:22
sounds like hes been scripted by joyce. Does he get an extra pay check for his comments.
You would have to think so.

ALAEA Fed Sec
11th Nov 2011, 08:28
Interesting to hear what the gingerbeers have to say with his take on engineering

I'm not usually lost for words but the ones I have in mind should not be written in a public forum.

SOPS
11th Nov 2011, 08:32
Can someone post this article please?

duderanch
11th Nov 2011, 08:44
If you fully support the direction nob jockey then why not put your money where your mouth is and tell Allan you will be quite satisfied dropping your salary now to $60,000 p/a. to lower his cost base to save Qantas.
To not to would mean you have no integrity and are full of ****e !

TIMA9X
11th Nov 2011, 09:14
Can someone post this article please? Cookies must be enabled | The Australian (http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/industrial-relations/hero-pilot-richard-de-crespigny-takes-sides-with-qantas-in-ir-war/story-fn59noo3-1226191973387)

Wow, lucky it was on a pay News com site, no one on the net will pay for it, to read the whole story anyway......:) A birdie tells me the Australian's online hits have plummeted since the pay thing was introduced.

Feels like a possible Qantas generated, News.Ltd in house collaboration to plant the story.... in a word, "setup..."

bonvol
11th Nov 2011, 09:18
Comment 9 of 13
Tony alder of Bribane Posted at 8:14 AM Today

Congratulations to Capt Crespigny. A brave man in saying what he felt was sensible and obvious to the outside world of International flying. I have been a pilot for 40 years and flown Internationally for some 25 of those years and agree totally that if Qantas pilots don't realize they live in a very competitive world, particularly within Asia they will eventually be naturally forced into unemployment. The aviation industry is one of the most difficult professions to be in and one can't rest on a "public service " type mentality in assuming that The world owes them the opportunity and security for a life time regardless of economic conditions. The Airline pilot is a professional, Qantas pilots need to set the example.

Bit rich coming from a Cathay A scaler who has had the rails run in Aviation.

Comoman
11th Nov 2011, 09:58
Hero pilot Richard de Crespigny takes sides with Qantas in IR war

by: Natasha Bita, Consumer editor
November 11, 201112:00AM
28 comments (http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/industrial-relations/hero-pilot-richard-de-crespigny-takes-sides-with-qantas-in-ir-war/comments-fn59noo3-1226191973387)
http://resources3.news.com.au/images/2011/11/10/1226191/748715-111111qantas-pilot-richard-de-crespigny.jpg
Veteran Qantas pilot Richard de Crespigny, at his home in Sydney yesterday, says the airline's future lies in Asia and some jobs may have to go offshore. Picture: Alan Pryke Source: The Australian

HERO pilot Richard de Crespigny has broken ranks with his Qantas colleagues by calling for an end to "legacy practices" and declaring the airline's future lies in Asia.

The captain, who coolly landed a packed A-380 "super-jumbo" following an engine explosion after taking off from Singapore last year, has revealed that he has not joined in the pilots' industrial action against the airline, even though he belongs to the long-haul pilots' union.
As the pilot and engineering unions wage war with Qantas over job security, Captain de Crespigny told The Australian yesterday that "no pilot has job security", and he suggested that some maintenance work might need to be carried out overseas.
"I expect Qantas management to structure the business to enable a long-term competitive advantage," he said.
"If we have a higher cost base than our competitors, then we need to be more efficient. The opportunity to move some of the services into Asia where the market is booming, and have a hub and spoke (operation) out of Asia, makes sense. This growth will open up opportunities for pilots and engineers."
Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar. (http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/industrial-relations/hero-pilot-richard-de-crespigny-takes-sides-with-qantas-in-ir-war/story-fn59noo3-1226191973387#sidebar-end)

Recommended Coverage

http://resources3.news.com.au/images/2011/10/16/1226167/823659-qantas.jpg (http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/industrial-relations/alp-to-face-new-union-demands/story-fn59noo3-1226191975046)
ALP to face new union demands (http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/industrial-relations/alp-to-face-new-union-demands/story-fn59noo3-1226191975046)

UNIONS will seek to exploit the damaging Qantas dispute at the ALP national conference by pushing for increased access to arbitration.

End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar. (http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/industrial-relations/hero-pilot-richard-de-crespigny-takes-sides-with-qantas-in-ir-war/story-fn59noo3-1226191973387#sidebar-start)

Captain de Crespigny's comments clash with those of pilots union vice-president, Richard Woodward -- a fellow veteran Qantas captain -- who warned in August that "the road is paved with the tombstones of companies that have tried and failed, and we don't want Qantas to be one of them".
Captain de Crespigny said he believed 10 per cent of Qantas engineering was already done offshore, with Rolls-Royce carrying out the major servicing of engines in the A-380 fleet.
"I absolutely support Australian jobs but you can't necessarily expect 100 per cent of work to be conducted in Australia," he said.
"Some of the engineering practices we require are specialised and may need to be done overseas. Anyone who touches a Qantas aeroplane has an internationally recognised and audited licence so their qualification is of the highest standard."
A year ago, Captain de Crespigny saved 462 passengers and crew by safely landing a stricken Qantas A-380 aircraft after its engine blew up over an Indonesian island.
The pilots' union is citing the Qantas captain's "professionalism under pressure" in its current industrial campaign, which demands the airline always employs Qantas pilots.
The long-haul pilots' union yesterday launched a legal challenge to Fair Work Australia's termination of its protected industrial action, in which pilots have worn red ties and made in-flight announcements asking passengers to help "keep Qantas pilots in Qantas aircraft".
Captain de Crespigny said he was a member of the Australian and International Pilots Association, but did not take part in the industrial campaign.
"No pilot has job security," he said. "I never presume that I have job security. My job is to fly the plane so the passengers are safe.
"We must do the best we can to ensure the company benefits."
Captain de Crespigny refused to comment on last month's Qantas grounding or the dispute before Fair Work Australia, but said the airline had to "evolve" and "look at every cost".
"Qantas has been around for 90 years and we have to get rid of the old legacy practices," he said. "We don't use manual typewriters any more. We are flying the most modern aircraft in the world."
Captain de Crespigny said employees could not "take our business for granted".
"The rules have changed. Qantas operates overseas where the playing fields are not level in terms of politics, economics, industrial relations and exchange rates, so it's very difficult to maintain a sustainable competitive advantage.
"It's like a rugby game where both sides are playing using a different set of rules."
Captain de Crespigny said some Qantas pilots might wish to "transfer to Asia".
"I think there are good business reasons for using existing Qantas pilots who perhaps may wish to move to where the growth potential is," he said.
"There is no assumption that pay and conditions would change.
"The supply of pilots will not be sufficient in Asia to meet demand . . . there will be so much demand that I think salaries may go up . . . Qantas engineers and pilots are up there with the rest of the world and will be highly sought after."

fury
11th Nov 2011, 09:58
Up until now Capt De idiot has been allowed to get away with his little ego trip. Okay, he is a little crazy and hard to get along with, but he was the man of the moment and he has not hurt anyone, so who cares, Right?
Well after today, enough is enough!! He did not save the day in Singapore. The other pilots on the deck did. In particular the F/O. But did he get the recognition he deserved? No, hopefully now the truth will come out.
Use the substitution test on what happened. Would you have done what he has done and used the incident to your gain. Unless your name is Sullenberg then probably not. Even Sully says he does not deserve it. He did what he was paid to do.
The character of the man is demonstrated in a story that was told to me. Apparently he is briefing cabin crew that he is the pilot of the Singapre flight and that he would like the flight attendants to write poetry for him and the best piece presented to him gets a signed copy of his book!!! If you don't believe me ask the cabin crew.
He has also been a bottom dweller for all of his career in Qantas and these are not my words but others who know him and this little stunt fits the profile of someone who uses every means available to stay in the flight department good books. I say the word career, he had one, but he is prepared to let everyone below him go overseas to pursue their's. Well he can go to hell!!!

TIMA9X
11th Nov 2011, 10:07
Sky hero Captain Richard de Crespigny is a guardian angel

CAPTAIN Richard de Crespigny has a long list of distinctions.
He is widely feted as being Qantas' best pilot - one of the most experienced in the skies - and is a seasoned captain on the A380.
Now he can add hero to his list of achievements
All that good stuff he enjoyed in the press a year ago...

Now.... so sad to read today's story above. spare me the... setup:yuk:

it's a media blitz.

Sky hero Captain Richard de Crespigny is a guardian angel | thetelegraph.com.au (http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/sky-hero-captain-richard-de-crespigny-is-a-guardian-angel/story-e6freuy9-1225948584935)

Ken Borough
11th Nov 2011, 10:10
Geeeeez. I hope some of you sad sacks have a good solicitor and deep pockets.

my oleo is extended
11th Nov 2011, 10:12
Poetry??? What kind of a limp wristed nancy boy is he?
As for signatures, the only future signings will be done in blood !!
I hope he enjoys solitary confinement because that is what he just earned, he will have no support for the remainder of his QF career (except support from the pond scum at Mascot). Yep, a future filled with distrust from fellow pilots, rimmed food, no support from peers and a genuine '89 warmness' that will see out his remaining QF days.
Can't wait to see him pop up on Gillards front bench along with Combet, Shorten and all the other parasites who have sold their souls to the devil.
Nauseating to say the least.

my oleo is extended
11th Nov 2011, 10:18
Hey everybody, Ken the plane spotter is back!
I'm betting Ken has one of those autographed poems, and if he doesn't he will be lining up for one ! And what a surprise, Ken is banging on about solicitors once again !! Bring it on, I dare ya.
Ken, I bet you are desperately awaiting the day you hear your idol Richards voice crackle over your scanner as you watch him steer his beautiful dugong over Sydney harbor one warm morning?

RDC, a hero to be sure. Not in the eyes of your colleagues anyway, sad day indeed.

Keg
11th Nov 2011, 10:29
It'd be nice if the level of vitriol directed at Richard ratcheted down a quite a few notches. I don't condone his statements but some of the stuff here is WAY over the top. There is a better way to deal with this crap than what has been demonstrated thus far.

T28D
11th Nov 2011, 10:38
AH Freedom of speech, freedom of association.

You may not agree with Richard but you must respect his right to express a view amongst his peers. The Constitution guarantees this right of expression.

But just maybe you are all too polarised to respect the Constitution and have become slaves to rhetoric and character assasination.

flying lid
11th Nov 2011, 10:38
While building the new A-380,
some worry, "That plane's much too weighty."
But the gang at Airbus,
don't kick up a fuss,
"cause the new Trent's so powerful, matey!"

Arnold E
11th Nov 2011, 10:39
There is a better way to deal with this crap than what has been demonstrated thus far. As an observer, it doesn't seem over the top to me, like what?? just as well this is not the 60's or 70's, then you may have seen something to complain about. ( I didnt in those days)

Arnold E
11th Nov 2011, 10:43
The Constitution guarantees this right of expression.

Hmmmm, not sure that it does actually.

doubledub
11th Nov 2011, 10:54
Sorry T28D, the Australian Constitution does not confer the right to Freedom of Speech. We take it for granted that it is one of our 'rights', but such rights do not exist, at least not explicitly. Back to Constitutional Law classes for you... := ot

rh200
11th Nov 2011, 11:18
Utter garbage. Even if that was true, what would be the point? QF management are under no illusions as to the majority opinion of their pilot employees. Whilst they are pretty good at wasting money on full page ads and other expensive PR, they don't need to waste money on private investigators.

I thought I said it as a joke:( maybe I should have used a smily face instead of a grin

holdingpointA1
11th Nov 2011, 11:27
Is this a joke? Are grown men who have put so much effort into their career so set in their ways that they will happily carry on like high school girls and rubbish anyone who doesn't believe in the same thing as them? I'm at the start of my airline career and started flying with the hopes to finally get into the cockpit of the red rat, now i see those who I wanted to be like carry on like this, honestly publicly saying that someone who agrees with the company over AIPA on this issue that he will be signing his name in blood and we will alienate him etc, i thought we lived in a civil society??
I know he spoke out against the rally etc etc, but theres got to be a line, obviously theres two sides to the story. I know i'm about to get hammered over this post because im going to whinge about the current situation. But honestly both sides have legitimate claims for the future, but is constantly making obscene comments about you're employer really going to make a difference? Or will it just cause a divided community in the workplace not between union members and management, but pilots, engineers and ground staff themselves as some are against the management, some don't care and some agree? Now come from a ground crew back ground and on speaking a lot people on ground I know for a fact that A LOT are not in favour of the action of the IR. So either way is continuing with the public display from both sides even going to cause a positive outcome? or will it internally destroy QF period. Leaving offshoring and down sizing an easy source for current management (or their replacements) - either way Australian business will offshore certain tangible aspects to be competitive. Whether the australian staff stay or go will be up to them.

Now let the barrage of insults begin... A pint to the most creative.:D

unseen
11th Nov 2011, 12:37
Keg, you state:

It'd be nice if the level of vitriol directed at Richard ratcheted down a quite a few notches. I don't condone his statements but some of the stuff here is WAY over the top. There is a better way to deal with this crap than what has been demonstrated thus far.

I agree 100%, but what do you expect from this site?

You are obviously a QF captain, probably within a few years start date of the gent in question, probably know him at least in passing.

Dont waste your time trying to calm the mob - they are only interested in trashing anything and everything QF and bugger the truth.

Some things are better kept in house IMHO,

Besides, unless your life depends upon what goes on on this site, then almost no-one really cares what the usual gang of bottom dwellers carry on with here.

Regards

Unseen

Mr Pilot 2007
11th Nov 2011, 12:44
Im sure the Capt in question is a very honorable man, he realises the qf spin on international losing so much money (or was that transferring it to j*).

He will do his bit and gladly pay back 60% of all salary he has earnt at qf to help the airline in its hour of need and be the first Capt to transfer with his family to the new Asian base.

Good luck in Asia Capt.

I can recommend the mee goering ayam.

RATpin
11th Nov 2011, 12:46
So,how long before the "Effigy" burning BBQ's begin?

HotDog
11th Nov 2011, 13:23
Jealousy is a curse! You guys who were obviously not around in 1989, have no idea what you are creating now. Not to worry, lots of jobs available overseas when you finish destroying Qantas.

theheadmaster
11th Nov 2011, 13:32
Thanks Hot Dog. Perhaps you could point out to me (I am a little slow) what is being creating now and how it relates to 1989?

Going Boeing
11th Nov 2011, 17:33
Posted by LR 3
I had a conversation about the fact that QF are screwed as they are so fragmented with a current QF mate.
He agreed that all they will never back any SERIOUS industrial action to protect the careers of the younger guys.
They just don't give a damn about you as they have already had 20 plus years making big money and will be happy for you all to go off to Jetstar or Red bloody SIN.

I probably fall into the category of "crusty old senior captains" as I've been with Qantas longer than the gent in question but I totally disagree with LR 3's statement. All of the communication that I've had with my peers throughout the EBA negotiations has been total support and solidarity which is why I find it incredible that RDC has chosen to go public with his views. The vote for PIA was 94% and after Joyce's over-reaction in grounding the airline, I believe the level of support for AIPA would be close to 100%.

I am not far off retirement but I will fight the current management all the way to secure futures for those pilots who still have a long career ahead of them.

Capt Roo
11th Nov 2011, 18:06
Perhaps RCD stated the unsayable? Maybe the Emperor has no clothes?
Someone brought up Emirates a few pages back. Don't compare the salaries (they make much less though don't pay tax) compare the work conditions.

Those guys work incredibly hard. Much more productive than us and their rosters suck. Mandatory Reserve blocks twice a year regardless of seniority unless in training.

Don't go to the sandpit. Stay here and negotiate something that is realistic.

teresa green
11th Nov 2011, 18:40
Calm down Hot Dog, as a 89er I know how these blokes feel, they feel let down by one of their own, they know that divided they fall, and as you well know that is exactly what happened to us, and it is a shock to the system when it happens. Mate with mate or so you thought. The gentleman in question aired his views to a journo, that hurts, the gentleman in question does not agree with most of his fellow pilots, that hurts to, but there will be plenty more like him, you know that to, though most wisely keep their thoughts to themselves. For him like those in 89 that were perceived to go against their fellow pilots, life can be hard, you need a lot of strength, a lot of support and you end up dreading going to work, as the flight deck becomes a fridge (and it has nothing to do with A/C packs) and it is lonely up the track, and you often resort to just talking to C/C if they are not aware of your position. Believe me I have seen it all. And it never goes away, only last year I witnessed at a retired pilots reunion, four blokes having a beer, a shall we say non supporter walked up, the beers went on the table and four blokes went in four directions, leaving our hero on his own. Childish perhaps, but you had to be there to realise it was not to them. He has chosen a difficult path, he is also entitled to his opinion, degrading him as a pilot is not wise, even if you are filthy, and entitled to be so, he has set a path for himself, and I for one am glad I never had to travel that path, I saw the results for those that ventured on it, its a painful way to live and work, mainly because Australians believe in mateship, sticking together in times of war and stress, they don't take kindly to those that they perceive have let them down. It will be interesting to see how he travels that path.

DutchRoll
11th Nov 2011, 19:34
He did not save the day in Singapore. The other pilots on the deck did. In particular the F/O.

he is briefing cabin crew that he is the pilot of the Singapore flight and that he would like the flight attendants to write poetry for him and the best piece presented to him gets a signed copy of his book!

Yeah fury, many of us on the inside are well aware of these and other things too, but as I said earlier in this thread, I really think they should be left unsaid for the time being.

Don't forget that the public (and the media) don't have access to the deeper knowledge that some of us do, so many will base their beliefs on what they see on the surface. Everybody wanted a hero after QF32, and they got one. I think this sort of venting on pprune will ultimately be counter-productive.

The The
11th Nov 2011, 19:57
Those guys work incredibly hard. Much more productive than us and their rosters suck. Mandatory Reserve blocks twice a year regardless of seniority unless in training.

Outrageous!!!!! Imagine having to do reserve roster two times per year.

Leave that kind of thing to junior scum!!!!!

skol
11th Nov 2011, 20:16
I was involved in a bitter dispute many years ago and ran into one of the 'scabs' at a function. The pilot involved just stood there while his wife spoke for him.

She said 'and if the company tell **** to do something then by God he's going to do it."

You'll probably find weak-kneed types have domineering wives who need the money to live in expensive, prestigious areas and send the kids to the right schools.