PDA

View Full Version : Jetstar

GetOffMyBack
10th Nov 2011, 11:44
Advertised today:

14 Commands, 42 F/O positions in Darwin....

What is going on up there??

outside limits
10th Nov 2011, 11:52
Joyce told Buchanan that the A330 are staying instead of returning to Qf which will free up some domestic A320s to fly fron DRW into asia. The A330 will be doing some east coast domestic

DirectAnywhere
10th Nov 2011, 12:39
Firstly, most JQ pilots cant't wait to get out of the place. As soon as an eastcoast base comes up they bid for it.

I'm pretty sure it also has something to do with the MOU.

I can't be bothered looking it up as I should be in bed but the MOU states somewhere that if no QF pilot bids for a slot the ghost seniority number associated with that slot expires. So, JQ continue to offer the base that no QF pilot wants, no-one bids for it and they remove a commensurate number of ghost seniority numbers. Very tidy for all involved.

G'night.

fender
10th Nov 2011, 20:13
Direct,
That might seem a good conspiracy theory but the truth of the matter is the Q numbers probably should have disappeared many moons ago but have remained even after minimal takers.
But, as the pressure of the industry takes its toll on many pilots who don't know where their career is going with Q, they may decided it isn't a case of, "better the devil you know", any more and finally make the decision to move to the dark side.

Beg Tibs
13th Nov 2011, 11:09
can anyone post any details of what the rosters are like for the JQ Darwin drivers ?

Cheers

SteaminDivet
14th Nov 2011, 01:19
Beg,
From what I have been told by a DRW based F/O, 5-6 days straight, mostly BOC 1-2 days off, then repeat. STBY days constitute a certain call in. Not real nice... If you get the day shifts, mostly early starts doing either BNE, MEL or SYD returns.... all back to back.

MACH082
14th Nov 2011, 01:46
That's incorrect.

It's mainly Bali returns, singas return, manilla return, ho chi min overnight, cairns and the odd Adelaide melbourne rest return or Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane return.

About 65 hours a month.

Generally a combination of back of the clock or day ops.

Beg Tibs
14th Nov 2011, 21:52
Mach82

Would you know how many of the trips are back of the clock ? Days off per roster ?

Thanks

Waggon rut
14th Nov 2011, 23:47
When I was there, 100 hours a month and fully knackered! Days off spent by the pool and drinking at night, nothing else to do so coped quite well. Much better than working out of SYD for sure.

maggot
15th Nov 2011, 03:04
out of interest, how much are the guys up there actually taking home? feel free to PM me. I don't think I'm in for it but interested.

MACH082
15th Nov 2011, 03:24
8-10 days off a month. Rosters are varied. No patterns just random combinations of day and night ops, domestic and international. Some long duties, some short.

maggotdriver
15th Nov 2011, 04:00
Any days grouped together or is it more of a case of 6 on 2 off? Any chance of someone posting a roster CP or FO? Thanks.

jarden
15th Nov 2011, 05:30
Are Jetstar planning on expanding its DRW base with new routes? They could serve BKK, KUL, JKT all within range for the A320 not sure about TPE. The other days the flight to MNL does not operate the A320 stays all night on a remote stand so that could be earmarked for new flying.

waren9
15th Nov 2011, 05:46
Are Jetstar planning on expanding its DRW base with new routes?

I was on the understanding that JQ only stopped in DRW because they dont have enough 330's. DRW is effectively a 320 tech stop for gas. That and the NT govt have paid them a sweetener to be there. Someone else might have more.

Lookleft
15th Nov 2011, 10:15
The only reason Darwin is a base is that BB has taken on the Asian cultural trait of "loss of face". He was told that Darwin wouldn't work as a base but he is persisting with it regardless.

neville_nobody
15th Nov 2011, 12:09
Given the length of the sectors out of Darwin I don't see how you guys can only be getting 8-10 days off a month. Most of those flights are on the vicinity of 8-10 stick hours a day. So even if you get 10 days off you can only average 5 hours a day for the 18 days at work. DRW-SIN/SYD/MNL/MEL returns would have to be at least 9 hours stick, so you would have to be getting more time off somewhere.

Mud Skipper
15th Nov 2011, 17:12
Neville,

You need to take into account sectors which are back of the clock, example a DRW MNL return takes up two days and don't consider the day of departure as a day off as you need to sleep when your family is crashing around the house and kids wonder why dad/mom is trying to sleep in bed.
Life of a night shift worker, have you never done it?

Beg Tibs
15th Nov 2011, 19:16
If anyone is currently up there or has been up there could you please PM me the gory details , including pay ?

Kind regards

maggot
18th Nov 2011, 00:15
If anyone is currently up there or has been up there could you please PM me the gory details , including pay ?

Kind regards

second that request if anyone would like to share, thx.

Wedcue
18th Nov 2011, 00:44
For those pilots part of this years intake, surely progression to an alternative base will be quick, 42 FO's coming in after them, that's got to be good news?!? Add to that more A320's, 787's..

I third the request for information please.

Feel free to PM, thankyou in advance.

theheadmaster
18th Nov 2011, 00:46
Lead Queue, 64 years old is probably a bid old for a onestar gig isn't it?

Oldmate
18th Nov 2011, 08:43
Spoken to some mates based in Darwin, who strongly advised against trying to commute from the east coast. Not enough consecutive days off to make it workable.

standard
18th Nov 2011, 12:58
Haven spoken to guys up there, commuting is fine if you are happy to have 1 night at home to "touch base" with the family.. While the plumber is working a night shift!

Max hours, long nights and days... Isn't for everyone?...

Oldmate
19th Nov 2011, 02:00
Does anyone know what happens if you leave a comfortable QF fo position for an mou command and then fail training?

cancel_speed
21st Nov 2011, 09:17
Can someone tell me if they are still making guys pay for their endo's? And i am guessing its the standard award wage during the training?

MACH082
21st Nov 2011, 09:31
Cancel speed,

It is what it is. Stop trying to wind up the troops. :p

Captain Biggles84
2nd May 2012, 12:29
Anyone know where DE F/O's are likely to get based on the net intakes?? Are they still trying to send everyone to DRW or is there East Coast or PH bases available??

Only considering, but def will not take DRW....

cheers

Lookleft
2nd May 2012, 22:58
Thats easily fixed. You just tell them at the interview that you will consider all bases that they offer but that they better think again if they offer you a Darwin base. And while they are considering your application just point out that they better not offer you a Flexi line contract becuase you will immediately withdraw your offer of labour.
Or.. you could just accept the offer they give you (as have many of the MOU and LWOP QF pilots) and start a career as an airline pilot if thats what you want.

j3pipercub
3rd May 2012, 00:50
I would have thought that starting your airline career and working for Jetstar were mutually exclusive?

Lookleft
3rd May 2012, 03:08
Is that because of the lack of progression, Captains having to consider going back to F/O and the reduction in fleet numbers, that sort of airline career oxymoron?

Bankstown
3rd May 2012, 06:55
Are Qantas pilots till transferring to Jetstar?

Keg
3rd May 2012, 08:35
Essentially yes. They're waiting for the publication of the Darwin commands. We expect to lose a number of F/Os to do command training.

On the plus side, there will be lots of people I know in Darwin to have beers with on DRW slips.... unless they're working so flat out they don't have time! Th e other option though is that I won't get DRW slips because I will have been demoted to F/O A380.

Nigel747
3rd May 2012, 09:18
.....I'm not so sure that such a move would in fact be a demotion.

mohikan
3rd May 2012, 10:01
Actually Keg if you do the numbers based on the planned retirements of B744's and all of the B767 fleet I don't think you would be senior enough to be an F/O on the A380

FFRATS
3rd May 2012, 10:14
Keg,
It would be a pay rise (A380FO) I'm sure and you would get to work to a roster at least. Not to many B767 contracts out there...besides others would kill for that option.
Everyone looses their command when they join QF, you could get the 'pleasure' twice!
Good luck
FFRATS