PDA

View Full Version : JAA ATPL - Looking to emigrate

Strong, silent type
9th Nov 2011, 15:30
Hello Folks,

I'm a 737 pilot, 7000+ hrs (5000+ on type) and looking to (perhaps) head to the US for a new life. The wife and I had pretty much had enough here in Europe and we're both in our early 30s. Canada is an option too (so I've posted this again in the Canadian Forum!) but I'd like to know from anyone who either knows the hoops to jump through or who has already made the move. Obviously I'd be looking to a 737 (classic or NG) operator but as we all know, we all have to start "somewhere". So is there anyone who can shine a little light on this issue for me, please?

Cheers!

MarkerInbound
9th Nov 2011, 19:23
As has been pointed out in many threads, you'll have to have the right to work in the US to hold a job here. Without that, everything else is irrelevant.

Gomrath
9th Nov 2011, 19:58
You may find that as a Brit; getting into Canada is somewhat easier than getting into the United States.
Good luck

FlyPurdue
10th Nov 2011, 13:56
Here in the states, time on type is not so much a deciding factor. If you can get the right to live and work in the US, you can apply at any carrier that is hiring right now. With your times, Atlas (747-4/8) Virgin America (A320), jetBlue (a320, e190), SWA (737, but the most lucrative job in the States), and a few other 'boutique' cargo carriers would be a good options. Also there are a few charter 737 operators too. But once again. If you get hired its all seniority on what equipment you can hold. It doesn'tt matter if you where a 737 fleet commander, you will fly the equipment you can hold!

Best wishes!

gentleman
16th Nov 2011, 02:02
and why do you want move to the USA?, if you have a job in europe, keep it!

SeattlePilot
27th Nov 2011, 15:25
Exactly.. The things don't work here as you are accustomed in Europe.. You have zero seniority.. Let's say that the right to work wasn't an issue (which is a big show stopper) , then all the airlines that are currently hiring are regionals.. Are you willing to work for 19/hr to start?
Had enough of the life in Europe? Really?

If you have a job , keep it.. If you don't there are a lot of movement in Turkey.. It's not exactly Europe but it is not desert either.. You qualify for Fly Dubai CA , go fly for them..