PDA

View Full Version : FI interview

taff_lightning
9th Nov 2011, 10:02
Hi guys

I have an interview tomorrow for a flight instructors position at a good sized and reasonably commercial flying club.

Now I've been to a few interviews for this sort of role and have always wondered what is the appropriate attire. Is it best to don a suit or should I turn up in my instructor clobber ie pilot shirt, black tie. Or is smart casual the way:ok:

So I'd like to throw the question to you and hopefully get some feedback from the guys who've done this a lot. Especially if you've been on the interviewers side. What would you expect, is there a standard? Or am I over thinking this whole thing and it's what you say in the interview that counts, these things do tend to be a fairly informal affair.

Answers on the back of a postcard please...

Whopity
9th Nov 2011, 16:19
It is always important that you set a good impression. What you wear is perhaps not as important as how you wear it. I would rather see someone who is smart and clean than someone in a Prince Charles suit that looks as if its come out of the laundry basket with creases and stains all over it. I had a great Aunt who once said you can tell most about a person by looking at their shoes! At the bottom end of the ladder its all about making an impression. I am staggered by the number of people I see these days who have no idea how to determine their shirt size, if the shirt doesn't fit, a tie will always look like an after thought. Flying instructor clobber is working attire, would you go for an engineering interview wearing a boiler suit?

I recall an RAF colleague going to Gloucester for a career interview as was the custom, the invitation letter simply said: "Civilian clothes should be worn". This guy turned up in a gaily coloured tank-top, not quite what the interviewer had expected.

RTN11
10th Nov 2011, 10:37
Every FI interview I have attended I have worn my FI clothes, including black NATO V neck jumper and tie, never had a problem. For me, it helped me feel the part and project the image I want. I left the gold bars at home though!

If you feel more confident/comfortable in a suit, then go for that. Ultimately the actual content of the interview is what matters, but first impression is important.

taff_lightning
10th Nov 2011, 16:53
Thanks for the feedback guys. I opted for the suit in the end and have been asked back for a couple of day standardisation. So I think that all sounds pretty promising.

Thanks again

billiboing
28th Nov 2011, 18:43
Personally Im more interested in your flying instructing abilities, but Ive been surprised at the lack of research most FIs do before coming to an interview. Do study the local airfields chart and noise abatement policy etc before turning up.

Beware- us club owners do pull a few tricks as well. I had a guy turn up one saturday and I asked him to go and do a Check A on a Cessna 150. He went out and spent 15 minutes checking the aircraft and came back declaring it airworthy.

I asked him if he was sure. He said yep. I asked him how he was going to fly it considering it had no mags or HT leads. ( they had been removed for a 500 hour inspection!)

I have also asked another to give a briefing to a student and they have been unable to do so.

So above all- BE PREPARED. We are likely to ask to see things like licences and logbooks- you would be surprised how many dont bring them!

Needless to say neither of the above got the job!. Am lucky to have some damn good guys with many many years of experience!.

Cows getting bigger
28th Nov 2011, 19:24
Did you get the job?

taff_lightning
1st Dec 2011, 21:25
I'm now three weeks into a months trial and it all seems to be going well. I have couple of students that I'm looking after and checked out on all their aircraft.

Thanks again guys

RTN11
1st Dec 2011, 21:38
Is that on an employment basis, or are they asking you to go self employed?

taff_lightning
1st Dec 2011, 22:26
Self employed. That was what I was expecting and what want at this stage. Why do you ask?

RTN11
2nd Dec 2011, 17:28
Just wondering what people are generally getting. I've been self employed for a while now, just wondering if many schools offer anything else.

Both employed and self employed have their pros and cons, it just depends what you can get.

taff_lightning
2nd Dec 2011, 19:32
I am yet to come across a school/club offering a salaried post for line instruction. Not that I've been to them all but I've spoken to a fair few resently.

If I'm honest I'd be a little suspect of a company offering anything else.

RTN11
2nd Dec 2011, 19:38
True, but even if they're only paying you per hour flown rather than salary, you can still be an employee rather than self employed. There are a few school around offering that, but self employed does have it's benefits.

If you're a good instructor, you'll still get plenty of flying by encouraging students to come back.

taff_lightning
2nd Dec 2011, 20:52
You're right I was confusing the two. Now I think about it I think I was given the option of being self employed or employed.

RTN11
2nd Dec 2011, 20:59
Either way, you're getting paid to do something that probably a week or so ago you were paying £180 an hour for.

There's nothing like sending your first first solo, probably even better than your own first solo was.