PDA

View Full Version : De Havilland history

diddy1234
2nd Apr 2008, 10:11
Maybe this has been asked before I have not been able to find on this forum, but I was wondering what the De Havilland Hatfield site was used for in its last few years of BAE prior to closing.

I know that after BAE left the site it was used for filming of Saving Private Ryan but I was wondering what the site was used for prior to this.

As a youngster I remember the BAE 146 flying and out of Hatfield.
I know that production of the BAE 146 moved to Cheshire after the first few were made but the Hatfield site was not closed down at that point.

LynxDriver
2nd Apr 2008, 18:33
Hi,

I live in Welwyn Garden City and used to drive past the old site every day. I recall shortly before it closed a lot of biz jet movements. I'm not sure but I think the operation was London Business Aviation or something along those lines.

It breaks my heart to see what has become of the place now. My Wife goes to the University Of Hertfordshire who have a campus which sits on the Western end of where the runway was.

diddy1234
2nd Apr 2008, 23:18
found some info here (with a good picture)

http://www.shockcone.co.uk/hatfield/

but I also found a whole load of info here :-

http://www.aviationphotoarchive.com/ZuluKiloBB2/viewforum.php?f=44

claus nybroe
9th Nov 2011, 09:48
I'd welcome recommendations on book(s) of De Havilland history. Human as well as technical aspects. Many photos.

I've been Googling the subject, but miss opinion of fellow pilots/historians.

Thank you

Claus Nybroe
Denmark

spook
9th Nov 2011, 13:50
You could try - History of de Havilland by Cecil Martin Sharp. First published in 1960, revised and extended in 1982 (ISBN 0 906393 20 5). I found this a very good read.

Planemike
9th Nov 2011, 15:18
Claus...........

Was going to recommend the above. Try also "Sky Fever" Sir Geoffrey de Havilland's autobiography.

de Havilland Aircraft since 1909. A.J.Jackson Putnam.

de Havilland A Pictorial Tribute Gordon Bain PRC

de Havilland the Golden Years 1919 - 1939 Flight

Hope they help.

Planemike

4Greens
9th Nov 2011, 19:08
Go to the RAeS website and then look at the National Airspace Library at Farnborough. Its got the lot. Go visit

claus nybroe
10th Nov 2011, 06:40
Thank you very much Gentlemen, look forward to reading !

Planemike
12th Nov 2011, 13:07
Claus..........

Another source you may find helpful:

DH Dynasty from FLYPAST Dec 2010 ( An article of about 30 or so pages ).

Planemike

Vampiredave
16th Nov 2011, 08:00
There is a comprehensive history of the de Havilland Aircraft Co, its products and people in an article featured in 'The Aeroplane', dated 28 September 1945, entitled ''De Havilland Jubilee'. It is a six-page article and was produced to mark the 25th anniversary of the company.

AndoniP
16th Nov 2011, 08:14
Hi Claus,

Aside from the books...

If it's at all possible for you to come to London for a day or two, I can highly recommend the Mosquito air museum near London Colney, home of De Havilland.

Mosquito Aircraft Museum - de Havilland Aircraft Heritage Centre (http://www.dehavillandmuseum.co.uk/)

It has a nice range of aircraft, Mosquito prototype, engines, original Comet cockpit simulator, and plenty of people to talk to.

Andoni

Fantome
18th Nov 2011, 09:07
Been thinking about DH - what a seminal figure he was - an inspiration to all who knew him . Also more broadly about this website and the strange diversity of opinion, manners and knowledge .

One conclusion is that this is a place reminiscent of a dysfunctional family. While many who come by are quite bright and add lustre to the cluster, some are abrasive, if not outright offensive, nasty. The figjams, the narks, the know-alls, the irrational, those labouring under huge overburdens of hubris, with loads more of it out the back, the petty and the still wet behind the ears, these latter usually conscientious, and who in time, by heeding the counsel of wiser heads, learning to savour the delights of an open mind, themselves may progress, becoming part of that universal fraternity where minds are ever open to new and broader perspectives. They may in time acquire the useful knack of looking afresh at old verities, of clearing cluttered mental slates so as to on a new day say "Ah . . . . now I think I see how best to approach this problem . . .or that tortuous argument", or think, "That is such a beautiful notion, sight, piece of work, or personality . . . . why couldn't I see that before?"

There are probably many coming in and out of here either infrequently or otherwise rarely finding the time or inclination to go back and look at the wealth of inspiring stuff contributed over the years. If so, they are missing out on a large body of wise opinion or dissertation of a factual nature or just wonderfully expressed firsthand accounts. The late Les Mikey often comes to mind and to reread his illuminating and at times moving posts can be like a shot in the arm. Les called himself in a self-deprecating way, at least that's my opinion, 'Duke Elegant'. It is probably unfair and unrepresentative to single out other, living, notable identities, but it is hard not to instance 'Flying Lawyer'. To go back and read his extensive contributions to informed, rational and balanced debate is a refreshing exercise. That he is also an airman passionate and eloquent about many aspects of flight, fliers and notable aeroplanes is a bonus.

Those who would out of hand damn 'the law', it's practitioners and all it has come to represent today, know little of those in the profession who are steadfast upholders of fairmindedness and compassion. It's hard to say whether they are rarities or not, but they are certainly altruistic, never cynical about justice, ever acutely aware of those unfit to administer or counsel at any level. More broadly, let the wiseacres scoff, for they are blind to the fact that the inherently moral, ethical unswervingly principled do exist in all walks of life. It may be that they possess strongly secular frames of mind, at the same time rejecting any insinuation that they are at all irreligious. They know the universal significance and the part, the vital part, that love and loving play in a full and balanced life. Their humour, more often than not, is acute, understated and delightfully idiosyncratic. There is nothing about them that could be called trite, banal, laboured or crass. They also often show the hallmarks of childlike innocence, while not blind to suffering, corruption, evil and ugliness. The inexplicable, the puzzling, may be all around and yet not precipitate unbearable agony, grief or bewilderment. Detachment without indifference is eventually acquired.

'Flight International' had an outstanding editor in JM (Mike) Ramsden. He epitomised the gifted commentator on matters aeronautical and beyond that the poms have thrown up from time to time over decades past. It is sometimes recommended that we should each of us, every day, have pause to think about those who stand out like beacons in whatever area of endeavour we are involved. For Mike Ramsden the man who inspired him above all others was Sir Geoffrey de Havilland. Mike, when a young apprentice with the firm, on several occasions had seen firsthand what an exceptional man his boss was. One day, by some quirk of fate it fell to him to go to DH's office bearing shocking news of a tragedy affecting DH, his family and the business. Mike was deeply and indelibly moved by the humane and innately sympathetic response he witnessed that day. Upon the passing of DH, Mike wrote that another revered doyen of the British aircraft industry made the comment "He was that rarest of individuals - a man perfect in every conceivable way, wise beyond words, incapable of a mean or unkind thought or deed."