PDA

View Full Version : LAPTOP INTERNET

SPIT
8th Nov 2011, 16:45
Hi
My wife has just got a Toshiba 750l Laptop to use for the WWW and SKYPE and NOT being familiar with laptops she wishes to get onto my internet (which she uses now). After loading my modem details will she then have to install the internet site I use or should the site (and email) automaticaly now be on her laptop with the modem settings. :confused::confused:

hellsbrink
8th Nov 2011, 16:48
If you are using your "modem" settings I reckon she should get online straight away (on your internet connection, obviously, and not someone else's) but you will have to download Skype to use it.

M.Mouse
8th Nov 2011, 16:59
SPIT, your terminology is a bit unclear.

Are you saying you have a computer which uses a dial-up modem via a telephone line to log on to the internet via your web browsing program?

If not are you using an ADSL modem, the type that has a single USB plug which plugs into your computer?

If either of the above then yes duplicating the settings will give access to the internet. That access can then be used by ANY web browsing software on the laptop e.g. Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, etc. to access any web site. If she wishes to access YOUR web based e-mail account she will need to go to YOUR provider's website and log in with the appropriate username and password.

If you both have computers and wish to use them at the same time for using the internet and you have an ADSL modem then you would be better to replace that modem with an ADSL wireless modem/router. That will handle the connection and allow both computers access to the internet individually or both at the same time. The advantage also is that yoru wife's laptop should be able to connect using a wireless connection.

I hope the above makes sense but keep asking if unclear and advice will be forthcoming!

seacue
8th Nov 2011, 18:31
The ADSL modems which I have seen ... even the ones with only a single Ethernet port - will handle quite a number of simultaneous logical connections. The number of at least 32 is in my head.

The practical effect of this is that you do NOT need a router, an Ethernet (packet store and forward) "switch" is plenty adequate in most situations.

You can both be using your wired Ethernet computers simultaneously when connected to the ADSL modem through a "switch".

In an office where I volunteer, the two computers share a single-port ADSL modem using an Ethernet switch. I am able to use the printer on Machine A from Machine B.

Another place I volunteer we ran out of ports on our router (max 4), so I used an Ethernet switch to expand one of the router's ports to serve 4 Ethernet devices.

I avoid wireless / WiFi whenever possible because it requires administration, configuration, assignment of a name used by clients, and assignment of a password - if you want any security. A wired (Ethernet) connection has NONE of these challenges.

seacue

mixture
8th Nov 2011, 19:51
The ADSL modems which I have seen ... even the ones with only a single Ethernet port - will handle quite a number of simultaneous logical connections. The number of at least 32 is in my head.

The practical effect of this is that you do NOT need a router, an Ethernet (packet store and forward) "switch" is plenty adequate in most situations.

Let's address a couple of things here....

First, the number of 32 is not correct.

Not wishing to get into technical detail, your ADSL router has two IP addresses, one public, one private.

On the private side, the number of available IP addresses available on your internal network is dependant on the subnet mask you configure.

By default, ADSL routers tend to come out of the box configured with a 255.255.255.0 (/24) subnet mask from the 192.168/16 RFC1918 range. This gives you 253 usable addresses on your network (the IP address of your router is already taken into account in this figure).

Should you wish to, you may reconfigure your router to use the 10/8 RFC1918 range (255.0.0.0) , this will give you 16,777,213 usable addresses (the IP address of your router is already taken into account). Although in practical purposes, your average cheap ADSL router will probably have a few issues if you start to scale to that level... but then I'd hope you would be able to afford something rather better than an ADSL line with that many devices on your home network ! :E

The second point is the term "modem" ....

A modem is a single user device, plugged into your computer via a USB cable.

A router is a multi-user device that presents an ethernet port on the user side. A router incorporates an embedded modem. It also has Wifi and other circuitry inside to enable it to provide connectivity services to your network independent of reliance on any computer.

Therefore, stating "you do NOT need a router" is incorrect. If you want to share your internet connection amongst multiple users (either via Ethernet or WiFi), then you DO need a router.

using an Ethernet switch

Yes, switches are great. Just make sure you don't create routing loops ! Easy to create, equally easy to avoid, but a nightmare to troubleshoot and identify.

Also, other than risking routing loops, there are many good reasons not to daisy chain switches unless you know what you're doing. So try to future proof a bit when buying... for example, rather than a 4 port switch, buy an 8 port one etc.

I avoid wireless / WiFi whenever possible because it requires administration, configuration, assignment of a name used by clients, and assignment of a password - if you want any security. A wired (Ethernet) connection has NONE of these challenges.

I agree with this. If you can avoid the hassles of WiFi, particularly keeping on top of the security aspect, then turn it off ! As an added benefit, performance over Ethernet cable will always be better than Wifi.

seacue
8th Nov 2011, 20:41
Therefore, stating "you do NOT need a router" is incorrect. If you want to share your internet connection amongst multiple users (either via Ethernet or WiFi), then you DO need a router.

I will go back to my ADSL modem and switch combination and explain to it that it can't possibly work. Even though it has been in use for a number of years.

Perhaps my stupidity paid off.

A router is a multi-user device that presents an ethernet port on the user side. A router incorporates an embedded modem. Not the one in a place I volunteer. Ethernet comes out of the wall into the router. The institution somehow provides the Ethernet port on the wall. A fixed IP address is assigned. The router provides 4 Ethernet user ports and WiFi.

mixture
8th Nov 2011, 21:44
seacue,

If you're so confident that your ADSL modem with an ethernet port is a modem and not a router, I dare you to come back here and post the manufacturer and model number. I bet it's a router with embedded modem. :E

The institution somehow provides the Ethernet port on the wall. A fixed IP address is assigned. The router provides 4 Ethernet user ports and WiFi.

Now I am confused.

In your original description, it sounded like you were volunteering in a micro-company with a standard ADSL connection coming out of the wall.

Now you say that your 4 person team is part of some larger establishment ?

In which case, you deserve a slap on the wrist for plugging an ethernet switch into an ethernet wall socket at your own accord without consulting site techies.

Plugging in a cheap unmanaged switch into a managed network has been known to cause routing loops and spanning tree topology issues (i.e. no physical damage, but technical chaos !). But it sounds like you've lived to tell the tale because the admins configured their side with some precautionary settings anticipating experimental users.

Or does the organisation just use structured cabling and provide you with a phone socket on the wall through a balun ?

M.Mouse
8th Nov 2011, 22:14
And there was me trying to keep it simple so that Mr SPIT could a) understand what I was talking about and b) end up with a single box handling his connection(s).

Which is why I didn't start pontificating about adding ethernet switches! I also agree with mixture about their use.

Regarding wireless I also agree that wired is faster and less of a problem on many levels but it does work, is useful and with basic security enabled how likely is it that the average person is going get hacked and lose anything of value?

Capetonian
8th Nov 2011, 22:26
Reading the OP, I think all that's being asked is : "How do I connect my wife's new laptop to our router?"

As most routers supplied for domestic use now seem to have wifi, isn't it just a case of enabling the wifi with or without appropriate security?

seacue
8th Nov 2011, 22:52
Mr Moxture.

I think our "discussion" is wandering away from being useful to the OP.

I volunteer TWO places.

In one, the modem is furnished by Verizon (phone company) and has one Ethernet port. I don't remember the manufacturer / model - but it isn't one that is common in the stores. Maybe Westell. I've connected a switch to that.

In the other location, there is an Ethernet port on the wall which goes to a Linksys router with 4 Ethernet ports and WiFi on the user side. I inherited this in working condition.

I think we owe it to the OP to drop the discussion at this point.

seacue
l