PDA

View Full Version : Aer Lingus Cabin baggage restrictions

anotherglassofwine
8th Nov 2011, 14:01
Hi folks,
It's been a while since I flew with Aer Lingus shorthaul, and was wondering could someone enlighten me with regards to their cabin baggage restrictions?

Are they as strict as Ryanair now? i.e. do they check every bag and get you to fit it in the frame?

Reason am I asking is - myself and Mrs AGOW are flying to London tomorrow morning and I've just realised my faithful Samsonite has finally died (hinge is bust), the replacement that I have at home in my cupboard is approx 55cm x 40cm x 24cm whereas Aer Lingus website states that the max is 55cm x 40cm x 20cm.
Am I best to just check in the bag or do you suppose Aer Lingus would allow some wiggle room?
I know from Ryanair that there is no way I would get the bag on.
Thanks,
AGOW

EISNN
8th Nov 2011, 19:05
they'd normally allow some wiggle room so long as you only bring that one bag and maybe your lap top bag or similar sized bag. But make sure to be at the top of the boarding queue otherwise they'll take it from you at the gate. That said they don't charge yet for taking bags at the gate.

Hartington
8th Nov 2011, 21:17
In the end you only need to run into the person who got out of bed the wrong side and you will have a problem.

JWP2010
12th Nov 2011, 20:00
In the end you only need to run into the person who got out of bed the wrong side and you will have a problem.

And that's what drives me mad. Boarding a LHR flight out of DUB recently, I watched most other passengers boarding with two and more pieces of baggage. I was one of the last to board - boarding by row number means a more pleasant boarding experience (ha!) - and when I got on the aircraft I was told that my regulation size cabin baggage would have to go in the hold. I pointed out the two people ahead of me who happened to have three bags with them, and my bag stayed with me. Though the legs were a bit cramped by the time we got to LHR.
Point I am making is that it really is down to the individual at the gate. (And that goes for FR too).

PAXboy
13th Nov 2011, 03:07
JWP2010Point I am making is that it really is down to the individual at the gate.Yep. That's the way it is and will remain so for as long as govt/carrier mgmt/airport mgmt/ won't give clear, unambiguous instructions.

The other problem, as often documented in this forum, is that you have to find a way to persuade every carrier in the world to stick to THEIR regulations too. Since countless pax judge a carrier by how much free weight they can get away with in the cabin - and book accordingly - you can see that the problem is going to be around for a while ... :hmm: :*

anotherglassofwine
15th Nov 2011, 13:04
Folks,
Thanks for the advice on this.
In the end I brought my larger bag with my Camera bag and there were no problems. The crew at the gate didn't look twice.
In fact a gentleman in front of me brought on his guitar in a soft case without a glance!

Having said that, the aircraft was probably only about 3/4 full..

As an aside, finally heard the A320 'dog barking' noise that I have seen mentioned on several posts on pprune. Must agree, dog barking is a very apt description! :ok:

PAXboy
15th Nov 2011, 18:13
I can never remember, is the barking dog on the A320, or some of us in here ...? :p