PDA

View Full Version : Another Red Arrows mishap? (merged)

Pages : 1 [2]

NigelOnDraft
19th Nov 2011, 08:27
Longer Ron - we have asked for information as to why the seat failed to operate AFTER it left the aircraft - we've been told that the info is not cleared for release!! I am supposed to be flying an air test on an aircraft thats been sitting on the ground for 11 months tomorrow - I want to know whats going on but its very difficult to get the required reassurance.
I'm actually with Longer Ron on this one. If you actually fly airtests on Live Seats, then your tech knowledge, with the MPD can give you the answer to your initial question.

I flew a seat, albeit not Mk10, yesterday. MPD was received PM of the 17th, and actioned that evening. Although it required the MB Tech Leaflet, the essence of what is says is in the MPD. I am sure your organisation has access to that Tech Leaflet.

NoD

longer ron
19th Nov 2011, 09:22
Longer Ron - we have asked for information as to why the seat failed to operate AFTER it left the aircraft - we've been told that the info is not cleared for release!! I am supposed to be flying an air test on an aircraft thats been sitting on the ground for 11 months tomorrow - I want to know whats going on but its very difficult to get the required reassurance

The probable chute failure to deploy is ID'd as part of the UTI...I would have thought you would be very interested in why the seat fired in the first place.
Also depends on what type of a/c that you are flight testing...if it is a Hawk T1 then you definitely would want to know why the seat fired but that is not ID'd in the UTI as far as I am aware.

rgds LR

Tinribs
19th Nov 2011, 11:42
Was there not a slightly similar event in the seventies on a Harrier at a flying display somewhere in southern England when a seat activated as the pilot climbed out of the cockpit

We must not allocate actions to Sean but it might help others to live a little longer if we highlight potential danger points

I think safety is enhanced by making a list of potential errors and nibbling at them til they go away

It worked for me for 46 years

BOAC
19th Nov 2011, 12:38
http://www.pprune.org/aviation-history-nostalgia/307076-airshow-related-accidents.html Post#8 - I can 'substantiate' it - I was there, but cannot recall the unfortunate man's name. As far as I know a totally unrelated accident, however, caused I think by stepping on the un-pinned handle while exiting the cockpit.

EDIT to add: Steve Beckley,

Note to mods: Thanks!

BOAC
19th Nov 2011, 14:28
Guys/gals - can I please bid for a return to a little respect on this thread which is about a tragic accident? The 'post' has gone, your (and my) related posts are now irrelevant. End Ex?

I recommend the little red triangle bottom left if you need it.

Green Flash
19th Nov 2011, 14:49
Hear hear BOAC.

Tell you what, shall we all participate in a Pprune first?

Shall we all wait until a lot of wise people have considered these tragic events and published their findings and reccomendations?

Shall we?

Mmm?

Shall we all not let Seans passing be in vain?

Shall we all respect Sean and his family?

I think so.

dropintheoggin
19th Nov 2011, 18:36
That's a bloody good idea GF.

RIP Sean. Miss you buddy

Winco
20th Nov 2011, 00:56
Fair points and apologies if any offence taken, none meant I can assure you.
For Sean.............................

Winco

PPRuNe Pop
20th Nov 2011, 11:42
The thread IS beginning to go off at different tangents and it IS a good idea to stop it. The thread is now closed.