PDA

View Full Version : QR Supernumerary / Jump Seat hours

Dan cooper
8th Nov 2011, 11:04
With the latest notice to crew in QR, I've got 2 questions to ask:

1- Is it fair to roster freighter operating pilots deadheading most of their roster for free? no duty time paid?

2- Is it even legal NOT to log the Training captains hours while exercising their assigned duty from the jump seat?

Hopefully some colleagues from other airlines will enlighten us how is it done there?

Cheers.

flyforfood1
8th Nov 2011, 12:24
In response to number 1 - isn't that what the 320 drivers have been screaming about since year dot! :ugh:

kotakota
8th Nov 2011, 14:05
This whole chestnut is going to backfire spectacularly one day when a post-accident investigation kicks in if the aircraft spears in in a civilised country .
A certain airline near the UAE has been saying that 'cover' FOs on the jumpseat while ab-initios are line-trained need not log the hours as they are not at the controls . I enquired as to who was legally P2 , and who would take over command in the event that the Training Captain became incapacitated ? Blank gaze .
It will all come home to roost one fine day.

kotakota
8th Nov 2011, 16:21
Sorry Citation 10 , I was not asking any questions , just pointing out the tricks that certain ops/ crewing departments are stooping to in order to stop people running out of annual hours . I am aware what a Part A is .

gdukkoq
8th Nov 2011, 16:49
Bravo Citation ten:ok:

jibba_jabba
8th Nov 2011, 23:31
So will this situation get better as more pilots leave/they get more desparate for pilots?

So guys working at QR see a change for the better because these manipulation of hours are not good.

Capt Krunch
9th Nov 2011, 13:00
So guys working at QR see a change for the better because these manipulation of hours are not good.

LoL..
You obviously do not work for this airline or have been involved with a middle eastern operator.

That's not the way the ball bounces in this part of the world mate.
They do not care if their policy makes people resign.. This has been done and proven time and time again.. It will not change Never has and I think never will.

jibba_jabba
10th Nov 2011, 03:17
Yeah, I just trying to find out all I can about the idiosyncrasies and pains in the arse before i get a contract! as I know that after 12 months, things get very different after the shine wears off!

A330 man
13th Nov 2011, 03:24
I will not comment on the no pay policy for duty period in QR, as it is a company policy and has nothing to do with legality.

But, regarding the assigned examiners not allowed to log their "Flying Hours" on the log book !! sorry dudes, this is ILLEGAL.

To prove my point, let me demonstrate the following example:

An examiner is scheduled to fly a normal commercial flight,
e.g. DOH-CAI-DOH, can he perform a final line check on DOH-DEL-DOH just after landing from CAI? ( jump seat assignment to DEL....so NO flying hours logged).

Why not?....his logbook will not show the flying hours on DEL flight "according to the new rule" !

Because it is ILLEGAL not to log the flying hours of any crew member with a duty onboard !! he is not a supernumerary on the jump seat, he is examining!

EK, AA, GF, EY....and many other airlines are applying this for years.

But don't worry, once the FAA, CAA and other respectable entities of aviation will get the info about this practice, they will have a small "chat" with QCAA and the rule will be reversed later, the management will be happy they stole few hours form the pilots to let them work more.

AirbusMaster
13th Nov 2011, 14:00
IMHO, the reason for the new rule is as follows:

Imaging a TRE supervising a new Command Upgraded F/O while operating the last 10 sectors as a new PIC.

The TRE being on the jump seat will scrap at least 30-40 hrs from the TRE log book !!

What a gain for the airline, now the TRE can be used for more flying duty for the same month without exceeding the legal flying hrs. max limit.

Same rule apply for line checks, final checks, standardization check...etc.

What a cheap trick, and above all what a puppet local CAA to allow such a practice. :=

Dan cooper
13th Nov 2011, 17:24
Well said Big Neon Glitter, many of us still feel the pinch of bad leave allocation, scattered slots in unwanted periods !!

Back to the subject of the post, I am still hoping someone from neighboring airlines -or any airline in the world- would inform us how do they log the jump seat hours for Trainers/Examiners.

Cheers.