PDA

View Full Version : Supermarine Swift on eBay :)

John the Elderly
6th Nov 2011, 23:14
I've had the following pointed out to me by someone on facebook and thought I'd share it here just in case anyone fancies this on their front lawn ...

Details and several photos are at Supermarine Swift (F Mk.4/ wk275) Aircraft, Historic Piece. Restorers Dream! | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Supermarine-Swift-F-Mk-4-wk275-Aircraft-Historic-Piece-Restorers-Dream-/300608677166?pt=UK_Collectables_Militaria_LE&hash=item45fdac652e#ht_1766wt_906) (which is very long - a shortened version is Supermarine Swift (F Mk.4/ wk275) Aircraft, Historic Piece. Restorers Dream! | eBay (http://tinyurl.com/7hb9n9k) :)

Agaricus bisporus
7th Nov 2011, 08:43
I take it there's a misprint as the decimal point in the price is in the wrong place.

dixi188
7th Nov 2011, 11:33
I think the price is a bit optimistic.

I saw an F104G earlier this year in similar condition and the owner wanted about 8 to 10 thousand pounds for it.

Also, anyone know what happened to the Swift that Eric Hayward was restoring at Jet Heritage (Hurn) about 25 years ago?

Spit161
7th Nov 2011, 15:23
I've seen this Swift a few times at Sheppards. I wouldn't give him that for it. Ever.

cheers,
Jake.

CharlieOneSix
7th Nov 2011, 15:59
Also, anyone know what happened to the Swift that Eric Hayward was restoring at Jet Heritage (Hurn) about 25 years ago?
If that is XF114/G-SWIF I think it is stored out of public view at Solent Sky, Southampton.

goudie
7th Nov 2011, 16:27
Well, he's had 5 offers so far. 2 have expired and 3 have been declined.

It states 'restorers dream'. More nightmare methinks, (looking at the pics)
with a 1/4 million + spent before you start.

Croqueteer
7th Nov 2011, 17:23
:eek:Knock two noughts off and it would still be too expensive.

Herod
9th Nov 2011, 16:19
It's interesting that the only cockpit picture is of the air pressure gauges. Makes you wonder what the rest of it is like. As regards the price, on another thread there is a link to a FLYING B26 priced at $125,000.

Krystal n chips
10th Nov 2011, 05:50
The local Beeb news carried a piece about the Swift a couple of days ago... a fair amount of which was wishful thinking and total lack of understanding as to how complex, let alone feasible, a restoration to flight project would be.

The "thinking" seemed to be based on the fact the Vulcan is still flying and that at one point, a Spitfire was also on display at the scrapyard, but is now flying again.

The little matter of the scrapyard owner needing a few ££'s was also mentioned....

As nobody has shown, or so it would appear, any interest in the a/c for the last 40 odd years, it would be a surprise if they did so now.