PDA

View Full Version : You could have this HD for 5 million quid.

Loose rivets
6th Nov 2011, 18:47
A quid a byte in the fifties.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v703/walnaze/IBMHD.jpg

mixture
6th Nov 2011, 19:07
Nowadays, your hard drive is a tiny speck in a carton of those dimensions filled with padding. :E

ZH875
6th Nov 2011, 19:27
The reduction in Hard Disk size on a Nimrod was balanced by a similar increase in food storage capability.

srobarts
6th Nov 2011, 20:36
In the seventies many harddisks were rented rather than bought. I came across one that when the customer wanted an upgrade to double the capacity, the engineer simply removed a screw so the head could access the whole disk area. Hey presto capacity doubled!
The same went for other features - I used to sell a typesetting system. One customer wanted a special feature and the engineer was sent to install - simples a small card that connected one part of the printed circuit board to another.
How times have changed.

Guest 112233
6th Nov 2011, 21:59
1)I'm sure that its "Lance Percival" operating the fork lift and.....

2) The two senior flight crew watching from above, are quietly saying to themselves "If he does manage to get that contraption through the hatch - We will have one hell of a Weight and Balance problem".

3) Where in the world has a 20,000' TORA, and can we be very politely towed there.

And finally....

Time for a bacon & egg sandwich, while the DC7 ? is placed back on its nose wheels.

CAT III

PS: Does anyone remember those MATOR HD's, big things that took 2 minutes to spin up to speed 10,20 and I think 40 MB drives about the size of a chest freezer.

seacue
7th Nov 2011, 01:09
The place where I worked had a Univac 1108 as its main computer. Money got tight and they wanted to decrease costs. They asked Univac to install an 1106 instead. The serviceman came out and reduced the clock speed. Voila ... 1106.

P.Pilcher
7th Nov 2011, 09:38
Oh and wasn't there the story of the IBM daisy wheel printer (if you remember those) which ran at about 10 characters per second. By paying a huge fee to IBM the printer could be upgraded so that the print rate could be doubled. The fee was paid, the IBM engineer turned up and was instructed to ensure that nobody else was to be present in the room when he carried out the upgrade. When this condition was met, he removed a cover, moved a drive belt to the other step of a pair of stepped pullys, replaced the cover and bingo - print rate doubled!

P.P.

vulcanised
7th Nov 2011, 11:35
Remember them?!

Hell, I've still got some daisywheels (and some golfballs).

GrumpyOldFart
7th Nov 2011, 13:00
I've got an 8" floppy tucked away somewhere.

mixture
7th Nov 2011, 13:18
I've got an 8" floppy tucked away somewhere.

Ooh err Jerry... :\

I believe the doctor can prescribe pills for that.