PDA

View Full Version : Private GA at Wellington NZ

mostlytossas
6th Nov 2011, 05:52
Aussie pilot and aircraft owner will be visiting Wellington for a few days next month. Am interested in going for a flight over your fair land while there. In particular a hop over to Nelson for the day would be good.
Is there any Kiwi private pilots interested in helping out? Can be cost sharing (if legal over there) or I can return the favour if you should visit Adelaide some day. PM me if interested. Thanks.

remoak
6th Nov 2011, 08:28
You may have more luck at NZPP (30 miles up the coast, Kapiti Coast Airport Ltd - Flight Information (http://www.kapiticoastairport.co.nz/Flight-Information.html) ).

GA is alive at Wellington, but only just...

Weekend_Warrior
6th Nov 2011, 17:07
Forget Wellington, they are really anti-GA- just getting parking will be hard and expensive.
PP is the go - I was out there weekend before last and 2 OZ registered aitcraft were on frequency - a Lance transitting south to north and a Malibu departed VFR to Mallory Park, Melbourne.
Flight Service are helpfull which could be a bit of a shock.
Heaps of parking, fuel, etc. Weather is also much better than NZWN, particularly wind.

MetGirl
8th Nov 2011, 04:25
Bit harsh on Welly guys. Pop in and see us at the aero club. I'm sure one of our members would love to do a cost sharing flight. Or grab an instructor. Nelson is cool, but what I'd really recommend is a trip over to the aviation museum in Omaka. Its a really great day out, have lunch at the cafe there.
If the wx is crap, then yeah, try PP, but come in and say hello anyway. If you're around on a Friday or Sunday, the bar is open from 5pm.
No dramas with ATC, many of them fly and know what its like for us, easy access from the city.
There's an old cliche "you can't beat Wellington on a good day", and it really is true.
PM me if you want more info/contact details.

remoak
8th Nov 2011, 07:29
Is this the Aero Club where the clubhouse is about a mile from the hangar where the planes live? ;)

Have to agree though Welly Aero Club a fine place (used to instruct there), but the airport is not really GA-friendly and you can sit on the Western Apron for a long time waiting for a gap in the traffic... or, if arriving, a long time at the Harbour Entrance waiting...

Weekend_Warrior
8th Nov 2011, 17:09
I was referring to the airport, not the Aeroclub. I started flying at the Aeroclub in late 70's and got my PPL at Associated at Wellington in 1981. Even then we were not really welcome.
As well as what Remoak says, there is the requirement to lodge IFIS info before flying in or out - a bit of a pain. And I won't mention the circuit other than to say that one circuit would count as a cross-country anywhere else in NZ. At least you would get a good view from 1500ft except you are too busy to appreciate it.
I think the aeroclub have moved to the hangar so are all in one place, anyway, that was not of their making, the airport needed the land the club was on to build an executive jet hangar.
Landing fees at NZPP are cheaper too.
Probably sounding like an anti-Wellington rant, sorrry, just giving the facts.

MetGirl
8th Nov 2011, 20:19
You might want to check your "facts". Landing and Airways fees at PP have increased. WAC a/c pay a discounted landing fee at WN.
IFIS - not hard, locals will help out with that.
Yes, we are operating out of our new premises, its working quite well.
Most overseas visitors that fly with us thoroughly enjoy it and get a real buzz out of fitting in with A320's, 737s and other commercial traffic.
"Too busy to appreciate it" - not really. Fly with a local or an instructor and there won't be any issues.
Yep, the circuit can be frustrating, but generally if you pick your time you can get a good run. Circuits weren't what the question was about though.
I'm not going to turn this into a WN vs PP argument, people fly where it suits them best. There just seems to be an awful lot of misinformation that gets spouted about Wellington.
Hope thats given you some options mostlytossas, and hopefully we'll see you round, either way, enjoy your visit and your flying :)

remoak
8th Nov 2011, 21:51
Should also add that Welly controllers are usually very helpful, so if the traffic is light and you want to do a quick scenic over the city or Eastern bays, they will often accommodate you, just pick your time. It's a lot of fun as cruising around over Wellington on a fine day, one of the world's better scenic experiences.

Hey Metgirl, does that mean that the old clubhouse is no longer in use? Or do you just drive round to the hangar when you want to fly? About time I visited again...

MetGirl
8th Nov 2011, 22:25
We've got offices, briefing rooms and a lounge set up off the side of the new hangar (not 100% complete yet, but getting there). Still have the old building, but not using it day to day. Actually we're having a bit of a do in the bar (in the old club house) in a couple of weeks, all past and present members are welcome. PM me if anyone wants details.

codenamejames
9th Nov 2011, 02:21
Give Wellington a go!

It is not hard, the controllers are friendly and helpful and as said above, on a good day it is superb.

I'd recommend doing your flying at a not so busy time if possible. I've had to wait at times (mornings 8-10am, afternoons 4-7pm) when there is lots of commercial traffic.

Having said that, flying across the harbour, seeing Oriental Bay then being cleared #1 to a 737 not that far behind was a good feeling. Especially after I landed (not far off the 110kt cruising speed of that Warrior due to controller's request to "keep your speed up") and cleared the runway.

Great place.
PP is good too, but don't be put off Wellington.

mostlytossas
9th Nov 2011, 06:49
Thanks all for your input and info,much appreciated.
Met Girl are you an instructor their or just a member by chance?
Will PM you soon for more details as I'm sure we can come to some arrangement thanks.