PDA

View Full Version : Air Frontier Darwin

JustFlight
6th Nov 2011, 03:32
Hi all,
Anyone have any info on air frontier? Are they an alright mob to work for? Conditions and pay etc? Much twin work?
Cheers in advance.

mattyj
6th Nov 2011, 04:03
Join now, you'll be Chief pilot by March :}

chainsaw
6th Nov 2011, 04:23
Rep...shouldn't that have been 'Yes! No, no and no!' :ok:

MACH082
6th Nov 2011, 04:51
I would say if it were the only company that you received an offer from then take it.

However I would say get what you need and get out as quick as possible when something else came up.

Be prepared to take a well worn pineapple sideways. It's been used and abused.......:{

puff
8th Nov 2011, 01:00
Had a few mates work here in the past - few common comments about the place - ops manager apparently treated pilots poorly, and they could never operate under IFR, even when weather needed it in the wet as they didn't want to pay the fees or pay the pilots IFR allowance. Questionable maint. at times also.

No real long term pilots, all got out as quickly as possible. Pay was award, but with no IFR allowances/renewals as above. This was a while ago(but within the last year or so), so things may have changed as I hear the CP was a very short term job as well as eluded by the others here.

The Wawa Zone
9th Nov 2011, 21:16
Yo....

"Join now, you'll be Chief pilot by March"
Hey, thats called progression :)

Probably about right; I got offered the job after 3 months in DN :) ..but said no.

AF has been around for years while the others have come and gone. You'll get plenty of opportunity for work in the bush (at some place called Gobe, alongside other liked minded deviants), there is plenty of opportunity to get onto twins, and the Hunt who runs it is an engineer so he knows useful stuff.
The drivers know how to protect Geoff (and themselves) from Geoff, so go on - give the little fella a go !

Jack Ranga
9th Nov 2011, 21:39
Pilots always paid to the award and occasionally given the opportunity to take family up in their machines on the company purse.

Ahhh, seriously doubt that one.

And, when you go to an interview with a real employer be prepared that you have been thoroughly slagged. Some serious vindictiveness going on here.

bobthebowler
25th Apr 2016, 23:24
Is the place still functioning the same way in 2016?

velocityxl5rg
10th May 2016, 12:50
heard that the cp and a few other senior staff are leaving soon. They might advertise on afap soon. Apparantly owner of the busines is hard to get along with.

The Green Goblin
12th May 2016, 05:57
They've out survived just about everyone. They must be doing something right....

Ixixly
12th May 2016, 08:58
GG, "Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines", I believe that's the saying that suits this situation!

ejected
13th Jun 2016, 09:11
Anyone have any more recent updates on these guys?

Ixixly
27th Jun 2016, 09:20
Yeah, trust the guy who jumps on with 1 post to answer....

holdingagain
6th Jul 2016, 22:39
Are there any Caravans in Darwin doing charter

WannaBeBiggles
7th Jul 2016, 00:19
Are there any Caravans in Darwin doing charter

Only 2, 1 with Kakadu Air and another with BAS.

holdingagain
7th Jul 2016, 05:14
Only 2, I bet there is hot competition to get in the LHS

WannaBeBiggles
7th Jul 2016, 20:49
Only 2, I bet there is hot competition to get in the LHS

Why, when there are a heap of twins for the guys and girls to get on to? Darwin isn't like some airfields where "the van" is the top of pecking order with only 1 or 2 token twins around.

There are also many factors more twin turboprops around Darwin GA vs. turboprop singles.

PilotFeathers
10th Jul 2016, 16:06
Yeah mate, by the sounds they are an alright mob to work for nowadays.
Don't believe every old opinion you read :ok:

Ahh, I seriously doubt that being the case. Here's a fresh new opinion.

Have never worked for Air Frontier (or should I say "Scare Frontier"), but have had plenty of common comments that have been passed on about the place. Had a few mates doing hangar/office work there for weeks/months and they weren't paid a cent but were always promised they would be each time they brought it up. Eventually left and found jobs elsewhere.

Stick well clear of the Ops manager, been told to at least suck up to him to get by each day a little easier. Also, the owner is hard to get along with which is why most of the guys enjoy their time out remote to be away from all the politics back in Darwin.

If you do find yourself working for Air Frontier. Don't ask too many questions, mind your own business and keep your own nose clean. Be prepared to take a very large pineapple in all sizes, and orientations (yes even sideways). Pilots tend to get straight out of there once they crack the magic hours that they need. Progression is high only because these guys churn through so many pilots each and every year which pretty much sums up the kind of work culture that you'd expect working there.

Cannot confirm this but apparently the maintenance fairly good. Chief Engineer won't release aircraft until he is happy. But I've since heard conflicting stories of typical shortcuts being taken so any guess is as good as mine... take what you make of it. Remember, its GA.

Old CP has left already... Meanwhile the new CP that has been put forward lacks the experience CASA is after so a temporary CP is in place just for now. Also the new CP is quite a young pup, so it'll be interesting to see what he brings to the role and how long he'll last in the position. It could take a few more weeks or even months until he's officially sworn into the role.

All in all, stick well clear. You'll be messed around, given no communication and left feeling like you don't exist. If you've moved to Darwin looking for work then you are already a step ahead of everyone else down south. There are more avenues of opportunity to explore, in places where they actually treat their pilots like human beings. Remember, its all about right time... right place.