PDA

View Full Version : Booking Qantas flights, but no QF planes/pilots

1a sound asleep
6th Nov 2011, 03:03
Sometimes its cheaper to buy a ticket than claim free/discounted flights. The $1000 taxes/charges on a flight you can buy all up for $1700:uhoh:

Anyway, my real rant. Next week I am going to Rome. Booked via Qantas the route is to HKG and then FCO with CX. Was about to go to Paris early next year - fastest/cheapest flight on the Qantas website is to SIN with JQ and then to CDG with AF. Not even a SINGLE sector on a Qantas plane. Whats the point?

QF94
6th Nov 2011, 03:29
Sometimes its cheaper to buy a ticket than claim free/discounted flights. The $1000 taxes/charges on a flight you can buy all up for $1700http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/worry.gif

Anyway, my real rant. Next week I am going to Rome. Booked via Qantas the route is to HKG and then FCO with CX. Was about to go to Paris early next year - fastest/cheapest flight on the Qantas website is to SIN with JQ and then to CDG with AF. Not even a SINGLE sector on a Qantas plane. Whats the point?

You did ask for cheapest and fastest flight. From SIN you won't get anything other than LHR or FRT. JQ is the cheapest to SIN and AF is the quickest to CDG. Basically you get what you ask for. Otherwise you would go QF to LHR and then BA or AF to CDG.

This is the whole point. Just like Frequent Flyers trying to get on a QANTAS flight of their choosing. You will get sent around the world before getting to your destination. But they'll gladly get you on a JQ flight and any other flight.

1a sound asleep
6th Nov 2011, 03:35
This is the whole point. Just like Frequent Flyers trying to get on a QANTAS flight of their choosing. You will get sent around the world before getting to your destination. But they'll gladly get you on a JQ flight and any other flight.

And they wonder why International isnt making money? Even if I am happy to accept AF to CDG. I DONT want to have to endure JQ to SIN. Theres not even an option to pay extra for a QF flight.

If all the investment in JQ had been spent on QF we might have had some fleet to operate SIN-FCO and SIN-CDG, and a heap of other places. If they can make FRA work I dont see the difference. Oh yes back to the 777s and we dont need those:{

Ka.Boom
6th Nov 2011, 03:45
Is Qantas still relevant?
Apart from the 30000 employees would anyone notice if QF disappeared?
If Joyce has his way it will.
It doesnt compete on price
It doesnt compete on network.
Take the 11 A380s out of the equation and the res of the fleet is older than my grandmother.
Air Australia out of BNE to HNL will make a killing.A 25 yr old 767 ith a 25yr old cabin to HNL with QF doesnt even come close to cutting the mustard.A lot of Qantas staff use interline and travel to HNL with Hawaiian.
When employees dont even use their own airline you know its stuffed

The Kelpie
6th Nov 2011, 04:10
I remember not so long ago that people bought flights with continental and tragically ended up on a continental flight operated by Colgan Air.

Things are not always as they seem.

QF94
6th Nov 2011, 07:14
Is Qantas still relevant?
Apart from the 30000 employees would anyone notice if QF disappeared?

Of course they will. Even more so than ever before. Why? If QF was to disappear, people will be asking for it. Once it's gone, it's gone.

If Joyce has his way it will.?

Hopefully the QANTAS Sales Act is ammended to stop him.

It doesnt compete on price
It doesnt compete on network.

Is it any wonder when management has been making very poor decisions on fleet selection. Not to mention the expenditure on fighting its workforce over the years, paying freight cartel fines and generally digging themselves out of very deep holes they put themselves into.

The network has been eroded over the years to make way for JQ.

Take the 11 A380s out of the equation and the res of the fleet is older than my grandmother.

Agreed. Take the 11 A380s out. Should have been 14 777s. Better breakeven points, much cheaper to operate, better passenger revenue per km, and the list goes on.

I won't involve your grandmother, as I'm sure she's a very lovely lady.

Air Australia out of BNE to HNL will make a killing.A 25 yr old 767 ith a 25yr old cabin to HNL with QF doesnt even come close to cutting the mustard.A lot of Qantas staff use interline and travel to HNL with Hawaiian.
When employees dont even use their own airline you know its stuffed

Maybe Air Australia won't make too much of a killing in its initial stages if at all. It has JQ, QANTAS and Hawaiian to compete with.

QANTAS are using the old 767s to HNL because it was decided that JQ should get the nice shiny new A330s whilst leaving QANTAS with the older 767s.

QANTAS staff book interline with Hawaiian, because the 3 flights weekly are heavily booked and it's near impossible to get a seat using staff travel, not because the airline is stuffed.

Hopefully this has addressed your statements and questions about QANTAS's relevance.

Qantas 787
6th Nov 2011, 09:00
QF out of HNL - it is a money spinner. It is one of the more profitable routes, even with the terrible product and lack of frequency. The loads are great, it is the worst route for staff travel and people are paying bit money compared to flying JQ.

And Air Australia - I wonder if they will make it to 2 years. I wouldn't have much faith in them beyond 12 months thats for sure.

flying-spike
6th Nov 2011, 10:10
I would say they have more chance of lasting the two years than you do of flying a QANTAS 787 in the same time frame. Maybe QANSTAR?

Eastwest Loco
6th Nov 2011, 11:40
Ka.Boom

I would like to throw in a little more on the "don't compete on price" bit of your post.

If you have a decent Travel professional, not a spotty little reseller living on base wage plus commission share the they (we I suppose) can go to QF via State Sales and request a price match.

Providing the availability on the given flight is good they will indeed match plus a few bucks which to a Frequent Flyer or a Club Rat member is more than attractive.

If you are dealing with a plastic captain or on the web - wellllllll - no cigar - BUT the system is in place and I use it on a regular basis.

Best all

EWL