PDA

View Full Version : Belgium FTO?

flyingsystem
6th Nov 2011, 01:33
Hello Everyone,

As I finally decided to start a Professionnal pilot training (full time classes), I just want to know if anybody has any preferences or advices regarding Belgians FTOs?
Currently I'm leaning towards Hub'air, which seems to have a good reputation, but still affordable compared to Sabena Flight Academy. And It's located in Brussels, so very convenient for me. But I'm ready to move if there is something else which is better not too far.

Thanks in advance for help!

Da-20 monkey
6th Nov 2011, 17:16
SFA classes are in English, also on Zaventem airport. I know very little about Hub Air, but I do know SFA.
I just looked in a folder from Hub Air, and it seems that they split the theory in modules, to be completed after a VFR flying module in Florida? This is different from SFA.

On SFA you start with the theory, all exams are completed at the end of this course, after 8 months or so. During the theory, there is a basic flying course, which is given on a pc- based flight simulator device. Also some FNPT2 missions on a da-42 sim. Then to Arizona for most of the practical flying. Back in Belgium, about 10 hours in a da-42 which ends in a Commercial multi- engine instrument. Then for the MCC, you can choose between B737 or airbus.

Quality of instruction is quite good. You have to do a school Physics exam as part of the selection. You can do observation flights at some of the local airlines, which is a big bonus!!

Job prospects: Most people who DO get hired after SFA go to Ryanair. Brussels Airlines or one of the other Belgian airlines hire very little I must say.

SFA is part of CAE, which means that the MCC course is recognised by Ryanair. So if you ever want to apply to Ryanair, it is probably better to go SFA. (It is possible that Ryan does't recognise other MCC courses, then you would have to do the MCC again at Ryanair to apply... Please do a good search on pprune about Ryanair before spending money.)

again, I know nothing about Hub Air, they might be just as good. :confused:

There are a number of people out there who are waiting to get a job after completing training... so think before you spend all the money.

Anyway, ask me anything about SFA if you want.

flyingsystem
10th Nov 2011, 01:59
Thanks DA-20 for your reply!
Indeed the market is unfortunately crowded with pilots without a job, but the thing is if you really know what you wanna do, and it is the only thing you really wanna do (it is the case for me), the best thing is to do it and do eveything to get a job and fulfill your dream. Professionnal Pilot is not a "normal" job, where you apply because you have to work, but mostly this profession is filled with passionated people, and I'm sure this will help me to get a job in the future. Also who knows in two years time, maybe companies will start to hire again massively?

Thanks again for your feedback on SFA :D
If anybody else have any other feedback on other belgian schools, it will be greatly apreciated. Thanks!

slr737
11th Nov 2011, 21:26
BFS in Charleroi is quite good. They have a modular and an integrated ATPL.

A bunch of their instructors are already pilot for either TNT, brussels airlines, ...

quality is quite good.