PDA

View Full Version : Easier way to tackle ATPL exams

CPL
4th Nov 2011, 10:58
My friend just did his atpl exams and got 95%+ on all his exams and he said the best way he found to do it, is too order the bristol groundschool pack and instead of studying all of the subjects over 6 months at home, do 2/3weeks of hard revision on three subject and then go sit that exam at CAA.

"As the brain is just focusing on that three subject not 8 different subjects"

Has anyone else found it easier to do it that way or is it just that brainbox? :ugh:

leyahl
4th Nov 2011, 11:09
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you can only complete the exams in 6 sittings including retakes. It may not be 6, but it's certainly a number that would prevent your method. Also, with Bristol, you have to attend the brush up course for each module which credits it as CAA recognised course. That could get a bit time consuming (and expensive) if you were to attend a 2 week brush up for each single exam.

The easiest way? Man up! If lazy people like me can do it the normal way, you can too!

mad_jock
4th Nov 2011, 11:11
Well apart from the fact you run out of sittings. Also as well the brush up course only deal with half at a time.

CPL
4th Nov 2011, 11:15
Sorrry guys i made an error there i ment to say 3 subjects, just rushing my thread

macflea
4th Nov 2011, 11:19
right i think max 6 sittings , i did mod 1 and 2 together and attended both brush up courses within 2 months of each other and then decided to do exams in 3 sittings choosing the ones i wanted to do at each sitting. if i failed any i was going to do them again at 4th sitting , i think you only have three attempts at each subject. 92 % average . i did this for work reasons as i could only take 3 days off at a time , and exams spread over 4 days , and also had to fly to uk , it worked cheaper as well instead of doing them in ireland .

mad_jock
4th Nov 2011, 11:20
Its still daft. They really arn't that hard to be honest. And if you have a resit you are knackard

CPL
4th Nov 2011, 11:21
So would anyone recommend me to revise all 8 subjects of mod 1 and then sit them that way or study 3/4 and go sit them ones and then do the others after them exams

Dan the weegie
4th Nov 2011, 11:23
Only you can answer that question, it's not that difficult to do 8 then 6 but you do have to work hard. The exams themselves are about work, not how clever you are.

leyahl
4th Nov 2011, 11:26
To be honest, if you go with Bristol, they split the modules in such a way that you have 2 or 3 "easy" subjects per module. With those ones, *cough* VFR/IFR Comms *cough* you only really need to look at them the night before which frees up plenty of time for the ones you may struggle with. I can't speak for other schools, but I can speak of my good experiences with Bristol.

CPL
4th Nov 2011, 11:57
98% pass mark for BGS is great yes but is that pass mark true because i have seen a lot of threads of people failing there exams, and MET is like learning how to speak chinese in a month.

mad_jock
4th Nov 2011, 12:07
If your thick you can fail them.

If you work through the material given and learn it properly you will have no problem.

There is nothing hard about the subject matter. It is barely aged 16 exam level. There are some facts to learn but thats about it.

To be honest the hardest bit is getting your exam head on and getting the right technique and making sure you read the question properly.

taff_lightning
5th Nov 2011, 16:03
CPL, from what I've seen of Bristol GS I'd say 98% is probably not that far off. Certainly all the guys a kept in touch with passed all the exams first time. And all the pilots I've met subsequently who went through BGS got all theirs first try too.

I reckon the guys down there in Cheddar have got things pretty well sorted and I'd recommend doing it their way. That is unless you know you have a particular mental block when it comes to exams, which kinda ties in with what Mad Jock is saying about getting your game head on. In that case you may need to do things a little different and only you know what works for you.

Halfwayback
5th Nov 2011, 17:31
CPL

I hate exams but took all mine in one sitting at the ripe old age of 45 - and a Type tech exam the next day.

Just make sure you learn the content and understand it rather than trying to just learn a database of answers. If you have even a mediocre understanding of the subject then you can usually rule out two of the multichoice with ease. The other major point is RTFQ.:rolleyes:

Anyway I think you have your answer from Mad Jock which is very sound advice. :ok:

I'll close the thread now.

HWB