PDA

View Full Version : Another Qantas engine shutdown Merged

MACH082
4th Nov 2011, 00:39
Diverting to Dubai now.

AJ crapping on in the senate enquiry about how Qantas always takes a conservative approach to safety ie the a twee ay tees and the volcanic ash etc etc.

Yet they are flying around RB211s with known problems and a known fix, yet have not fixed them and continue to fly passengers around in these aircraft.

I tink he is full of ****e....

Just found out its an A380

Engine trouble diverts Qantas flight | News.com.au (http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/engine-trouble-diverts-qantas-flight/story-e6frfku0-1226185613771)

DJ737
4th Nov 2011, 00:40
QF31 operated by A380 VH-OQC just landed at Dubai with reported engine trouble.

piston broke again
4th Nov 2011, 00:48
Anyone got any more info? They are reporting it was shutdown.

The Kelpie
4th Nov 2011, 00:52
Wonder if that was weitten on one of the pieces of paper that OW passed to AJ durin the senate hearing??

More to Follow

The Kelpie

Mr.Buzzy
4th Nov 2011, 01:00
Give that man another medal....
How's the cost cutting working out for you lot?

Bbbbbbbbzzzzzzzz

Eastwest Loco
4th Nov 2011, 01:09
Heard from a client who was on board that the crew advised the SLF that is was an oil leak.

No more to hand other than major confusion and passengers not getting much info.

To be expected as it is not a QF port and currently just past 0500.

Best all

EWL

MACH082
4th Nov 2011, 01:26
OWs media conference was an embarrassment.

The amount of times she said obviously was a joke.

Deboarded? You mean disembarked?

OQA a code for aircraft? You mean registration :ugh:

This nothing to do with QF32 last year? How can you draw that parallel? It has not even been investigated.

I believe that an oil problem was the cause of QF32 last year which caused the uncontained failure. This was an oil pressure issue today as well. Hmmmm

All airlines not just Qantas have these issues from time to time? Didn't I read that Qantas is suffering from 4 x the industry average engine shutdown in flight of late? Hmmmm

OW sounded like a news anchor reading the evening news. It was full of cliches and well worn statements that a brought out every time something like this happens.

Great timing :D

Well done to the crew.

Cookie7
4th Nov 2011, 01:31
about 90 minutes after takeoff

If so, why not turn back?

Although other reports are suggesting 4 hours, which might make more sense re: diverting to Dubai.

Capt Kremin
4th Nov 2011, 01:36
AJ

"Dead man walking on the Green mile!!"

One year to the DAY after the QF32 incident.

Not a major incident..... but watch the media frenzy as it happened precisely as our esteemed CEO was fronting a Senate enquiry claiming how his policies were going to save Qantas...

Epitaph for a CEO career.... "Karma is a bitch!"

Kalistan
4th Nov 2011, 02:00
A little desert rat whispered that most QF engines were constantly operated at Max Flat Rated Take Off thrust because the pilots wanted almost all takeoffs that way for " safety reasons ". Flame away!

Keg
4th Nov 2011, 02:01
Now where's the 'like' button so that I can click it regarding Kremin's post? :D :ok:

Keg
4th Nov 2011, 02:04
Kalistan, whoever told you that probably has a bridge they'd like to sell to you as well. Simply not true. :roll eyes: :ugh:

That said, given the hauls that QF aircraft do (SYD-LAX-SYD, MEL-LAX-MEL, SYD-JNB-SYD, etc) then you'll find our fleet probably does more max takeoff thrust takeoffs than other airlines fleets but only because the performance is required.

ejectx3
4th Nov 2011, 02:10
Is Ms wirth a wind up doll?

Conductor
4th Nov 2011, 02:15
Is there a link to OWs press conference?

piston broke again
4th Nov 2011, 02:22
Another excuse for Joyce to ground the fleet again??

TIMA9X
4th Nov 2011, 02:31
Is Ms wirth a wind up doll? "code for" some of us on here would think she is....:E

Fb-OohrzKs8

Short_Circuit
4th Nov 2011, 02:36
258 passengers on an A380 SIN LHRSounds like a B777 would be a better long haul aircraft choice for that route.

ejectx3
4th Nov 2011, 02:41
Fb-OohrzKs8

MACH082
4th Nov 2011, 02:44
[QUOTE258 passengers on an A380 SIN LHR
Sounds like a B777 would be a better long haul aircraft for that route.

But de Ay twee ay tees economics beat de twipple seven hands down. We believe we have chosen de right aircraft for de right routes. It 'twas not my management team who chose not ter buy da twipple seven. But I stand by da decision that was made.

And frankly we are who de manufactures turn ta when developing deir aircraft. Without de input of Qantas management, de Airbus NEO would never have happened.......:}

:hmm:

Perhaps Rolls Royce listened to management in their designs of late :eek:

flightfocus
4th Nov 2011, 03:05
OMG! Qantas has become such an embarrassment. None of the people that front the media do anything to inspire confidence in the brand or its future.

Notice the ABC desk jockey said the OW conference was outside parliament house. Wonder if she has had a catch up with her former employer Joe Hockey while there!!!!

Going Boeing
4th Nov 2011, 03:09
258 passengers on an A380 SIN LHR

Sounds like a B777 would be a better long haul aircraft for that route.

International travel is always seasonal. Currently, northbound loads are light but the aircraft are chockers southbound so you still have to send the high capacity aircraft up to Europe to accomodate that.

OW's performance doesn't justify her $1.3m salary - how much does the Virgin Australia PR person make? :ugh:

ejectx3
4th Nov 2011, 03:13
1.3 mill? And she's single? Hmmmm... I have a plan....

borescope
4th Nov 2011, 03:28
I would really like to know exactly what state this engine was in before this mishap - - as in :-

Was it an Engine that was modified to ensure this kind of Event wouldn't happen - -or was it an engine in "as delivered to Qantas state " - - or what exactly was its state?

After the last big A380 firework off Singapore there was a discussion about whether the Engines were Partially or fully Modified before those Events .

I find it curious that other operators don't seem to have quite the same A380 problems .( Perhaps other Operators are just better at keeping in quiet ) - - -

Incidentally Having flown a couple of Sectors on SIA A380's i find them a really great Aircraft to be a passenger in - - but I would love to know the rollers were less of a problem !

hadagutful
4th Nov 2011, 05:35
Are you sure the Q PR person is being paid $1.3 mil?

Hardly seems plausible but if that is the case, there's the root cause of the problems with Qantas, everyone is being paid FAR TOO MUCH, from the CEO down.

Anyone heard of the word p r o d u c t i v i t y?

Time for a reality check boy and girls. :ouch:

(Grounded passenger).

SimonBl
4th Nov 2011, 07:10
But de Ay twee ay tees economics beat de twipple seven hands down. We believe we have chosen de right aircraft for de right routes. It 'twas not my management team who chose not ter buy da twipple seven. But I stand by da decision that was made.

And frankly we are who de manufactures turn ta when developing deir aircraft. Without de input of Qantas management, de Airbus NEO would never have happened.......http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/badteeth.gifPriceless, MACH082, well done. I tink you've nailed it.

ejectx3
4th Nov 2011, 07:22
From news.fail.au

"It is not clear yet what triggered the engine oil quality defect indicator that forced pilots to shut down the engine, but passengers were not expected to reboard the flight. A spokeswoman for the airline said the timing of the incident was unfortunate"

Damn that bad quality oil!

Jethro Gibbs
4th Nov 2011, 07:49
A Free lunch Thanks for F%$k ALL Qantas.
Twitter (http://twitter.com/#!/stephenfry/status/132351782398607360/photo/1/large)

victor two
4th Nov 2011, 08:11
No big deal. Jet has a minor engine problem and diverts safely. Company makes normal public statement. End of story.................. unless of course, you are an angry and mindless union sheep who can easily draw pathetic links to this very common industry event to the IR dispute, outsourcing, management, politics, peoples salaries, peoples accents etc etc.

Isnt it you QF union twits who are paid a fortune to maintain these engines?? No wonder outsourcing looks attractive.

You guys have lost every last shred of rational thought. Seriously, you can laugh at QF management all day but most of you are a sad and lonely joke as humans!

bankrunner
4th Nov 2011, 08:13
Half surprised the company haven't blamed it on sabotage yet.

the rim
4th Nov 2011, 08:24
yes we would love to maintain them engines,but that little pleasure has been sold off to a cheaper mob,as it has been said before if Qantas still had the engine line it would of seen this problem and FIXED it and passed on that info to the rest of the world ....but no you mob of ar$eclowns know better....we will get the monkeys to fix our engines because it cheaper.....and when they fail we will put some girl on the spot who does not even know aviation jargon to make a statement which makes Qantas look like a bunch of fools....so f&ck off V2 and keep your thoughts to your self

Ultralights
4th Nov 2011, 08:25
OW's performance doesn't justify her $1.3m salary

i woud guess she has been doing quite a bit of overtime recently.. :}

peuce
4th Nov 2011, 08:49
Victor Two,
No big deal. Jet has a minor engine problem and diverts safely. Company makes normal public statement. End of story.................. unless of course, you are an angry and mindless union sheep who can easily draw pathetic links to this very common industry event to the IR dispute, outsourcing, management, politics, peoples salaries, peoples accents etc etc.

You obviously know more about aviation than I do .... I would have thought a brummy donk on a brand new aircraft to be pretty abnormal occurrence ... at least outside Qantas!

Aim Point
4th Nov 2011, 09:03
Engine shutdown 90 mins out of SIN, crew diverted direct to DXB for EK interviews! :}:D:}

ejectx3
4th Nov 2011, 09:13
Too true! Sadly......

SOPS
4th Nov 2011, 09:39
Problems with the Oil Quantity Pressure. That is one that keeps me awake at night 'what if we ever get a problem with our Oil Qantity Pressure?":E

BP2197
4th Nov 2011, 09:45
'monkeys' sounds like a decidedly racist term - you might consider refraining from that type of language.

Remember that similar derrogatory remarks were made of Toyota, Nissan etc in the early days before they transformed the automotive industry. People in glass houses anyone?

Taildragger67
4th Nov 2011, 10:31
BP2197, maybe it was meant as in "pay peanuts, get ... "??

aulglarse
4th Nov 2011, 10:49
Maybe the crew 'tapped' the oil pressure/quantity/ze oil monsuir guage ( like you would ) and being airbus it immediately triggered an ECAM warning!:8

MACH082
4th Nov 2011, 10:57
I think I know why the management at the rat didn't buy the 777.

They'd lose their ETOPS approval after all their engines keep going bang bang :}

They'd certainly have to spend more keeping them going. Hell they'd probably have to maintain them in house to keep an eye on quality control. Can't have that in Manila!

It's certainly not because they're old technology. I mean it's not like they fly jets which were designed in the 60s is it? Cough 747 cough 737 or the 70s cough 767 cough cough!

Or the fact the a330 was designed before the 777 cough idiot cough...

But hey Qantas management had a major input into the design of the 777, so by default, they are really the ones who are responsible for its success just like the NEO!

buttmonkey1
4th Nov 2011, 11:38
oh, oh, olivia's left eyebrow spasm again...

http://www.gifbin.com/bin/052009/1242749315_bull****_amplifier-detector.gif

Cactusjack
4th Nov 2011, 11:58
I'm loving this. The more media coverage that is generated means the more that my hot mamacita Olivia fronts the TV, and the more she is on TV the more she excites me!
Seriously, my opinions have changed, she is one cute little potato pie. Beautiful figure, snappy dresser, adorable eyebrows and feminine yet intriguing facial features. Clean straight hair with a tinge of red (maybe a little mediteranean?).
Sorry guys and girls, she is starting to awaken my inner man!!

the rim
4th Nov 2011, 12:16
bp2197...maybe the use of monkey could sound a little racist...but as taildragger67 indicated I used it in the term of "paying peanuts...."as I have worked in Asia and most that I have worked along side with are as good if not better that the Lame's back home.....its just that Victor 2's post got me a little pis$ed off....I would think that the engine line in Asia may not have the experance and knowledge that the old QF ROS had...the rim....:E

the rim
4th Nov 2011, 12:27
cactus mate get out of your primary school uniform,because thats what you see in her,you think she may be your strict school teacher about to smack your bottom for saying something bad about Qantas......mate wake up and go out into the real world......or get of the booze either way you need help...;)

blow.n.gasket
4th Nov 2011, 14:54
Hold the Press. There is now another Joyce dumber than Barnaby!
On Ya ALAN!:E

Take five
15th Nov 2011, 10:26
Heard a rumour of another 747-400 RB211 engine failure on the way to Narita this week with sparks out the back on takeoff.

It didn't make the news on any TV station in Australia, or am I just imagining it.

Do they really have that much control of the media, or are the media just not keeping their eye on the ball.

That would be the 6th for the year, wouldn't it, with 2 months to go.

So much for outsourcing the product.

Flight crews are getting a little gun shy.

One plane had 2 engine failures on the same wing in a 3 week period.

Let's just keep negotiating the political implications of all of this while the sky falls around us.

What are CASA doing.

What is the government doing.

When is this ridiculous state of affairs going to end.

Deadly game they are playing.

Keg
15th Nov 2011, 10:31
Not sure if it was on take off but within the last couple of days a 744 5th podded an engine to NRT for an AOG that has reportedly been there since 12 Nov.

ALAEA Fed Sec
15th Nov 2011, 18:37
It was reported to me just after takeoff in Syd as Qf21. Aircraft continued to Nrt after the engine indications stabilised. Arrival check of engine showed that she was knackered, appears to be same problem as the other engine failures.

Mud Skipper
15th Nov 2011, 19:06
Keeping it very quiet, compliant press must have been told to back off.
Thinking the failure rate is finally reflecting on managements outsourcing policy blowing up in their faces forget to fact it's really on our wings.

In the past we pilots on the 747 were not overly concerned with the remote chance of an engine failure but now we are all like 'I hope only one fails'.
Interestingly if these unmoded engines had been on the 767 we would have probably lost our ETOPS (extended range whatever) approval by now, forget going to Honolulu etc.

At what stage will these managers be held to account?:\

SpannerTwister
16th Nov 2011, 00:00
At what stage will these managers be held to account?http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/wibble.gif

They're :mad: not.

Any more questions :ugh: ?

ST

standard
16th Nov 2011, 03:12
heard another Qantas 747 engine failed today???

Anyone heard this or know more?

Jet Jockey
16th Nov 2011, 03:25
The more I read and hear about QF engine failures on the 747 makes me sick considering that CASA grounded Ansett 767 a few years back over I believe an AD with respect to 767 engine pylon inspections and possible cracks. It just goes to show the amount of influence the "National Carrier" excert over CASA, the media , and the government. CASA and the government fast becomming a joke to anyone with half a brain. When there is finally a smoking hole in the ground it will be entertaining to see the fallout.:ugh:

K9P
16th Nov 2011, 04:25
These p:mad:ks will just go into denial mode.

carro
16th Nov 2011, 05:11
OW. Did somebody say sugar mummy?:D

neville_nobody
16th Nov 2011, 05:47
Often wondered what it would take for CASA to take action. What needs to happen? A double engine failure half way to JNB or LAX?

No to mention the dangerous precedent they are setting. Is it acceptable to have a airline flying around with a known defect in engines and for them to have 10(?) engine failures?

If I was Tiger I would be asking a few questions about the impartiality of CASA as it doesn't seem a awfully consistent approach in reality.

Ngineer
16th Nov 2011, 05:53
Not sure if it was on take off but within the last couple of days a 744 5th podded an engine to NRT for an AOG that has reportedly been there since 12 Nov.

The rumour I heard was #4 eng failed, and #2 engine getting very tired.

bandit2
16th Nov 2011, 07:24
VH-OJB,
#2 eng lost alot of oil from a drive pad on the gearbox, not sure which one. #4 had sparks out the tail pipe, after boro in NRT, turbine well f%#*ked. Eng change! Interesting to see how quite it's been isn't it.

gobbledock
16th Nov 2011, 21:32
Often wondered what it would take for CASA to take action. What needs to happen? A double engine failure half way to JNB or LAX?
No to mention the dangerous precedent they are setting. Is it acceptable to have a airline flying around with a known defect in engines and for them to have 10(?) engine failures?
Has the root cause being determined on each failure? Obviously each engine failure is investigated individualy, so what are some of the reports saying? Any systemic issues, or is each failure attributed to a different causal factor? 10 in 14 months is by far not a good look for starters, perhaps this issue alone will make it on to the ATSB table, or is it not deemed significant enough for them to investigate? After all, they only investigate 2% of all reports.

neville_nobody
16th Nov 2011, 21:55
Well Emirates came within a few feet of a fatal yet ATSB cannot organise a report on them so what hope do we have of getting one from a straight forward engine failure?

The fact alone there have been so many failures would suggest a problem with the system of maintenance and/or these engines.

CASA seem pretty quick to take action against smaller GA operators and Tiger, yet QF have a ever lengthening trend of engine failures and nothing is done.

airtags
17th Nov 2011, 07:40
seem to recall a very trustworthy (not) CEO releasing a statement after copping flak over the issue earlier this year .... might be time for an archive search

:E AT

teiemka
17th Nov 2011, 15:51

Nothing will be done until all four fail.

Yes, it is utterly disgusting how the commercial interests of engine manufacturers and operators are taking precedence over safety. From the last ATSB report on engine failure pages 9-10

http://www.atsb.gov.au/media/3422442/ab2011040.pdf#page=9

RR issued a service bulletin on the service bulletin that should have fixed the problem in February 2009.

The incident occurred when? :ugh:

Aircraft operator
Engine modification
The operator is continuing to embody SB RB211-72-G036, issued in 2009, at engine shop visits where the HPC module is removed. However, should the rate of failures increase significantly, a review of current modification policy will be undertaken.

Sunfish
17th Nov 2011, 18:15
The "Qantas Safety Culture" isn't. The airline is patently unsafe. End of story. Given the current failure rate, the chances of a double, or triple engine failure in flight are not zero, but management has seen fit to continue flying without fixing the engines.

RATpin
18th Nov 2011, 10:02
Aided by a compliant "Selective Regulator".