PDA

View Full Version : Skymark interview

skudrunner
3rd Nov 2011, 19:47
I am curious if anyone has ANY information about Skymark. I am heading out for an interview and was curious of the work environment, schedules and living conditions. Also if anyone has been through the interview lately any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx in advance for any info.

skudrunner
3rd Nov 2011, 19:49
I am curious if anyone has ANY information about Skymark. I am heading out for an interview and was curious of the work environment, schedules and living conditions. Also if anyone has been through the interview lately any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx in advance for any info.

bringbackthe80s
4th Nov 2011, 10:30
Hi skudrunner, sorry can't help you but I'd like to know what fleet are you going for, and how did you apply (i guess through an agency?).

They just ordered A380s, the outlook seems really interesting

best of luck

LindbergB767
4th Nov 2011, 11:59
Hi Skymark conditions are eroding like many Airlines
and with the 2 or 3 new low cost starting soon it will be worst
They lost about 20 to 25 expats pilots since January 2011.
Skymark is operating 23 or 24 B737NG but now there is a rumor
that they may change the fleet again for A320
D ont go to Skymark thinking that you will fly the A380
Maybe they bought some but they d ont have them yet and
I was told by the Chief Pilot that only Japanese pilots will fly the A380
Before I left the flying was 6 days ON 1 day OFF (6-1-6-1-6 OFF 9 or 10 days)
depending of your agency
By the way be ready for a 6 months course without going back home
and Skymark d ont have their own checker so you have to meet the idiots from
JCAB every year for your Sim Check and Route check
Interview should not be a problem
Usualy some Japanese manager and Peter the expat chief, mostly friendly talking
and probably a 30 minutes in the B737NG Sim to check if you can basically fly

FR8R H8R
5th Nov 2011, 01:04
There's a reason all the expats have fled the place.

Caution.

whale2guppy
8th Nov 2011, 21:22
Agree with all LindbergB767 had to say. The place is a mess! If you like staying in a motel 6 on layovers with NO place to eat,Skymark's your airline:ugh: If you want to go on course for 6 to 8 months without going home AND being treated like a school boy having to be there from 10 till six during ground school, Skymark's the place.:ugh: If you like being checked by an out of control government agency twice a year, come on down!:mad:
I could go on but won't, consider ALL other options before you sign on this dotted line. Good luck

captkirk3000
11th Nov 2011, 01:46
whale2guppy
Are currently working for Skymark?

LindbergB767
11th Nov 2011, 09:24
I dont know if Whale is still working for Skymark but 3 or 4 years ago about 15 guys from beautiful Hawaii came at Skymark and if I am correct only 2 are still there and about 30 expats came from Jal (B747 captains) and already half of them are gone
If you really need a job and you Think you can cope with the system then go for it
The aircraft are almost new, well maintain,and the peoples in the office are quite nice,and Japan is not a bad place to live as it is safe, and clean
The problem is JCAB, and also the owner who can reduce your contract without consulting anybody ,and d ont expect any help from your agency (any agency)
And also you fly often 2 captains together. When you are 2 expaxt it is nice but when you fly with an ex JAL B747 Captain you become a second class pilots

The Dominican
11th Nov 2011, 09:53
when you fly with an ex JAL B747 Captain you become a second class pilots

You mean they will try to place you for the first 10 minutes in a second class pilot status, related to that I use the same technic as the dog whisperer, you go pssst!!!!!! and snap your fingers getting them out of that state of mind into a submissive state, nobody places you in a second class pilot status, you allow it to happen.:=

babisiliop
11th Nov 2011, 11:09
Why Skymark lowering the requirements for DEC?
I saw that,they don't ask for any experience on type,zero.
I gathered that a lot of captains leaving because of the status in the company, as you say.
If they still can't find crews,they will raise the age limit in order to find people.

klunk49
12th Nov 2011, 04:09
They already hire over 60.

WTON
12th Nov 2011, 07:28
By the way be ready for a 6 months course without going back home Hi everyone,Hello,

I have been called too, for interview at the next session that will take place next January 2012.

You said six months training, do we have to pass a JCAB ATPL theoretical exam test, like in China?
Rgds.

LindbergB767
12th Nov 2011, 12:06
Dominican , I mean this is what the Japanese pilot Think about expat, I did not mean that the expat become a second class pilot or citizen or feel like one

Wton
Yes ,you have to do a 2 weeks course on Air Law, then a writing exam,.and a 3 days course on Radio plus 2 exam (to get the Japanese radio license) and a full B737-8 course even if you already have 5000 Hrs on type ,and a JCAB Sim check with 1 hour oral questions to get ATPL , as well as a route check with JCAB and 1 hours oral after the route check
If (as an example, like it did happen to some guys) you fail your route check then you maybe an FO for between 1 to 6 months before they give you another chance (with a reduced salary) If I recall well one pilot was checked after 18 months in the Cie
And because Skymark do not have approved Cie checker then you have to face JCAB every year for SIm check (once) and route check (once)

captjns
12th Nov 2011, 15:20
Does one need to make there way out to the west coast on their own nickel for the interview?

captkirk3000
16th Nov 2011, 23:35
What is the pay like for Expat FO's?

captplaystation
17th Nov 2011, 00:08
Had a phone call tonight from an agency who assured me that the 5mth course "could " be completed in 6 wks. . . . . Oh really ? ? :hmm:
Wasn't interested in living in Japan, but it was nice to know how smoothly & easily the formalities would pass :rolleyes:

LindbergB767
17th Nov 2011, 10:20
First they d ont hire expats F/O

Agency are full of s..t
Even for Japanese ex B747 Captain it take 6 months

TRF4EVR
18th Nov 2011, 06:07
Not sure anything will evenuate of it, but received a mass-email after having applied, and responded to a personal email from the recruiter very shortly thereafter. With the understanding that it might not be a Career Job for a Yank expat, is it a reasonable place to hang one's hat for a few years? Anxious to hear any first-hand reports, and thanks.

PS. Should add, this is for a CA position.

captkirk3000
20th Nov 2011, 20:31
Heard they are really short on both Capts and FO's...apparently they sometimes have to pair 2 Capts to cover trips. Apart from that, they are a solid and stable company growing with a young B738 fleet!!
However alot of ppl are leaving for Korean, maybe it's a better contract!

Geebz
22nd Nov 2011, 08:53
QR or Skymark? Tough call.

If it were me I would go with SkyMark but you'll, 99.999%, never upgrade to anything bigger. By contrast at QR you'll eventually move on to the A330 or B777/ 787, and it will be a career airline

Living in the M.E. sucks anywhere you slice it with DXB is probably the only palatable place. Doha is far worse. But if you can get home once a month you might be able to tolerate it. Some of my friends love living and working in Doha, others hated it and bailed the first chance they got. Same goes for those working for EK in DXB. Sure you'll be a 777 Capt at 30 yrs of age but will you have a life? Working for a US major gets me 16-20 days off a month and flying with a pretty laid-back group of guys. Plus I'm home every night most of those days. Last month I bid reserve and flew one quick-turn trip. 76 hrs pay for 1 day of work all while living in my home country. That's far more important than the equipment I fly. 90 days after you check out it's all about days off and QOL (quality of life).

At least in Japan you won't be subject to searing heat, a lazy, arrogant and boring religious society. Nor will you feel like you're being treated like a second-class citizen (though some there feel they are treated that way but that exists everywhere, including your own country). At least in Japan you can have some resemblance of a normal life outside work (even though you will be working.. a lot!).

To each his own. I worked in the M.E. before and I know it's not for me. But some have no problem with it. For me, Japan would be a better fit.

Interview at both places and go with whomever hires you first!

You'll make money at either carrier. And both will drive you crazy but living in Japan in much easier than living in Doha. Then again, you'll layover a lot in Europe with QR, not so with SkyM.

pilotcpb
25th Nov 2011, 15:24
I follow the Japan contracts and the Skymark pay seems a bit low to me. Captain pay there is similar to FO pay at Qatar. IMHO, If you are single the money and allowances are enough to enjoy life and save some $$ too. If you are married and have kids its going to be expensive. I would go to QR if its money you want.

WASINC says the domicile is Tokyo but the other agencies are offering Kobe. If it is in fact Kobe, the Kansai (Osaka) area is quite nice and cheaper than Tokyo.

WASINC International (http://www.wasinc.aero/Jobs/ViewJob.aspx?id=729)

I commute to Tokyo every month and living here is far superior to Qatar, but stay tuned as I am moving to QR soon.....

The Dominican
25th Nov 2011, 15:40
Skymark seems to be a little on the crazy side with the shenanigans of the boss there, not really a lot of money for the hazel if you ask me, the money at Jetstar Japan and Peach is not any better really but the working environment and advancement prospects (they will eventually operate A330's) are a lot better than at Skymark. I don't think that there is any doubt that Japan is a LOT better than the M.E. in every aspect

whale2guppy
26th Nov 2011, 23:57
for those considering Sky, and to answer some of the questions on previous threads, you should know:
If you do not hold a JCAB license your training will be a MINIMUM of 6 months, plan on 8 months.
As said there are NO in house Checkers At SKY all checks are by the JCAB (can you say roll the dice, as the JCAB hates Skymark)
If you stumble and fail a check, you will sit in the right seat for at least 6 months! no rush from Sky on this as they are desperately short of F/O's
The management group at Sky are on their own planet, and your not invited to to visit
I hear that all expats have been given till Feb. to move to Kobe or as one other said "your contract is cancelled" That's how they roll at Sky
The ME may not be an ideal place to live, but at least you will fly for a "real airline" with associate benefits. At Sky you only fly Domestic Japan and stay in motels on layovers. They say they are getting A380's but last I heard only the Japan nationals will fly them.
As in my last post my advise,,,,"stay away" I got away like some many others and none are looking back

whale2guppy
27th Nov 2011, 00:18
No I left, had enough of the madness

captkirk3000
27th Nov 2011, 04:15
I spoke to a couple of expats at Sky and it seems to work for "them!"
The training is what it is in terms of getting a JCAB license but, you are paid during training to sit and learn. Not like alot of places out there where pilots are paying to learn or even worst paying to fly!
As for the checkers, I was told they are working on getting their own in house check trainers and examiners. NOW how long this will take to come to past is another story!
They are short on both Captains and FO's apparently. So hopefully they will start to hire both Captain and FO's soon!
As for the ME and flying for bigger and better companies is great but, to each is own. Some guys/gals wanna travel around the world in nice heavy equipment and not be home, then there is a place for them. As for family guys/gals who want to be home and not on the road for to long, then the domestic flying is for them.
All in all, to each is own!

The Dominican
28th Nov 2011, 00:14
They are short on both Captains and FO's apparently
Looks like they will be even shorter in the next few weeks, the whole stance that they have taken about the "move to Kobe or face termination" hasn't been taken very well by many pilots, I wonder why?:rolleyes:

captkirk3000
29th Nov 2011, 01:19
Is there anyone on here who has successfully completed Skymark interview assessment?
If so how is/was there interview/assessment program?

Markovich
30th Nov 2011, 01:57
Ive been asked to send a "no incident / accident report" along with my application... Anyone knows how to obtain this in Canada?

captkirk3000
30th Nov 2011, 04:28
Markovich
Did you interview already? Or are you gathering documentation for the application? If so, which agency?

Markovich
30th Nov 2011, 16:18
I haven't been called for an interview yet.. I was asked by WASINC to send no criminal record and no incident/accident report after I sent my application docs.

Oishi
1st Dec 2011, 01:41
Markovich, the aviation authority which provided the licence you are submitting to Skymark for conversion to a Japanese one should give you a "no incident/accident report" for a small fee. Your contract agency should guide you in the right direction if you ask them.
There is a reason so many foreign (gaijin) Captains have left recently and continue to leave. Skymark used to be a good little company to work for, but times have changed.

Tailwind2100
30th Dec 2011, 01:17
Anyone thinking about coming to Japan should really consider the Q400 job at ANA Wings. If you are on furlough or LOA from a jet job, there's no worry about stalling your career on a turboprop.

And for the same money as some jet contracts, working day-only domestic 70 hr blocks is a breeze. Our longest day is 9hr duty with 5 hrs stick time. 4 legs max (plus one DH). Compare that to 90+ hours at some outfits (although the money may be higher),

Overtime is avail above 70 hours and if you work hard for 3-4 months it's possible to string days off together and take a 30 day break. I just had the entire month of Dec off to be home for our newborn. My airline back home is great, but a month off over Christmas? Not possible for another 15 years, at least!

Take home this month just over $10,300 US, after tax, with no overtime (I flew 68 hours in Nov). I am an ex-pat of my home country - Americans, YMMV.

Oh, and we have our own checkers in-house. After your initial you may see JCAB rarely if ever.

Good luck and Happy New Year!

onthestreet
3rd Jan 2012, 12:18
Its true, I have been at Skidmark for almost 4 years and everything you hear is true. There have been countless expats leave for one reason or another and not one has ever come back. Here is the latest gem. It was never a problem before and I have been told that they just dont have the staff anymore so as the other posts allude to, take it or leave it. Depending on where you live it may cost you a day, maybe two of your precious days off. If you have the Kobe base and live a great distance from Japan, it may cost you 3 due to the limited international departure times. Enjoy.

Dear Captains,
Happy New Year all, I hope you had a great Xmas and New Year. I have received a notice from SKY Flight Crew Dept. regarding scheduling.
As the number of pilots have increased and will continue to increase and with their scheduling issues it has become very difficult to provide personal requests. Therefore I*would like*to bring your attention the decision has been made that*the scheduling will no longer be able to provide personal requests, by adjusting the last flight*so*that the pilot will be able to depart on the same day*after the last*flight.
Further to that and more importantly SKY have advised that*please do not request*scheduling to assign a flight on the same day of arrival*back from Vacation as this will go against the Company Rules and Policies as they believe the pilot is not under*a healthy condition for flight duty.
This of course is about avoiding any possibility of risking the safety of their customers and flight crews and I would suggest it* would be something that the JCAB would consider a requirement also.
I understand that there maybe some inconvenience, however SKY would appreciate your understanding and co-operation with this.

andthenagain
5th Jan 2012, 14:03
"Anyone thinking about coming to Japan should really consider the Q400 job at ANA Wings. If you are on furlough or LOA from a jet job, there's no worry about stalling your career on a turboprop."

TAILWIND,
take a closer look... Skymark pays Japanese Taxes so take home, after tax, is $13000. And all of the complaints about Skymark sound pretty similar to the complaints at ANA Wings (Q400 contract). If ANA Wings was any better, would there be an attrition rate of 50% in the last 12 months?

Tailwind2100
6th Jan 2012, 12:21
andthenagain,

Valid points. If Skymark had been an option when I was contract-hunting, I would probably be there. From time to time these gigs in Japan, although they sometimes drop the PIC on type requirement (as is currently the case at Skymark), like to throw in bizarre qualification requests. For example at the time I signed on here, Skymark required a Japanese passport(!). Another one is the FDA requirement for PIC-in-Japan experience.

For me the pay vs. QOL is important. I turned down a job in China for much more money ($12,000/mo at the time, now $14K). Yes, the pay is slightly higher at Skymark, but still low for a 73 compared to China. Out of curiosity, what are the momthly hours flown at Sky on average? I don't mind making less if I'm not working 90+ hours.

Every single guy who has bailed from ANA Wings is a career contractor with no jet time. At this time Qatar and Air Hong Kong are happy to take them and they are going while the getting is good. Can't say I blame them.

For now living in Osaka works for me and my family. The job is far from perfect and we have more than our fair share of BS, but it mostly goes away once training is complete. It becomes tough for guys with families here with the weak dollar/strong yen. Ideally this is for single guys who are happy to live in-country. Quality of life is good and the job is fun and easy. That said, I would not say no to a raise.

Yoroshiku onegaishimasu!

LindbergB767
7th Jan 2012, 07:41
Tailwind
Skymark is operating since 1998 and a Japanese passport NEVER been a requirement
As for a rating it is not important in Japan because you have to do an ATPL and a Type rating to obtain the Japanese license ( 5 to 6 months some time longer)
Flying times in Skymark is about 70 to 95 hours a month
Expect to work 6 days ON and 1 day OFF X 3 and you go on leave 9 days including your travelling time (use to be 10 days OFF a month and 24 days of annual leave on the first contract but they reduce it to 9 and 20)

LindbergB767
7th Jan 2012, 07:50
and then again
No way you can take home 13000 in Skymark
Basic salary is around 8250 a month for first contract (3 years) plus 150000Yen of Per diem
So take home is 8250 a month if no overtime (110 US per hour)
If you sell your days OFF they pay you $1000 US a day
on the second contract basic is 10000 US plus 150000 Yen Per Diem

Tailwind2100
7th Jan 2012, 11:43
Lindberg,

There was a brief window previously where Skymark dropped the 737 experience requirement, but they did indeed require a Japanese passport (at least according to WASINC). I believe they were trying to sign as many JAL guys as possible. The passport issue was dropped shortly thereafter, but the time on type was reinstated until recently.

Capt. Awesome
11th Jan 2012, 16:52
How much of the monthly pay do you actually end up with after living expenses? I'm looking at the Skymark DEC with an interview in Feb. I'll be over there by myself so living should be fairly cheap, considering. I
m looking to work the contract and bank as much money as possible.
How do you manage the stateside taxes, if any? Bona fide resident?
Thanks

lear60fellow
13th Jan 2012, 23:58
So for an european guy with family and kids Skymark is not the place to go? I don´t care about moneybut more about days off with family if I have to get to europe so QR looks a better deal even if DOha is hot but closer to europe.

Treetopflyer
17th Jan 2012, 10:48
Anybody knows what the 6 months of JCAB exams involve? ATPL exams similar to a JAA ATPL?

prat985
21st Jan 2012, 14:39
Can anyone shed some light on the medical at skymark ?

Complete eye exam ?

Capt. Awesome
23rd Jan 2012, 00:22
I'm new here and new to contracting overseas so bear with me.

Are there any US pilots on here who can tell me their experiences with the IRS while working in Japan particularly with Skymark?

I've read IRS pub 54 and Form 2555 but practical always trumps theoretical.

I'm curious how you fill out the 2555 form and if you can truly take advantage of the foreign income exemptions.

PM if you feel like sharing your insights.

Thanks

taesapilot
23rd Jan 2012, 13:54
Im also waiting for confirmation of the interview at the end of January. Didi you go to the interview already? I have not been able to find any gouges or anything about the interview. Do you have any info on it?

Capt. Awesome
25th Jan 2012, 13:41
I was told by the recruiter to expect more info about the interview, what to expect, sim profile, etc., after my app gets approved by Skymark. I'm still waiting for that to happen. Good luck to you.

HPIC
25th Jan 2012, 21:14
I was told by the recruiter to expect more info about the interview, what to expect, sim profile, etc., after my app gets approved by Skymark. I'm still waiting for that to happen. Good luck to you.

I was told that my application is approved and asked if I could make an interview in Seattle on Jan 27th. I told them I was unable to make that interview date due to my work schedule overseas(and I advised them when I would be able to make it to one), and now I'm waiting to hear back with another interview date. I was told it will be Seattle or Tokyo.

Capt. Awesome
29th Jan 2012, 14:01
Good luck, HPIC. And congrats.

I was told via email yesterday that my app was rejected as they have only been looking at applicants with time in larger aircraft. They will be hiring the rest of the year so there will be other opportunities. No word on when or if I should reapply, the recruiter will keep my app in with them. I'm still attending the job fair, though.

Capt. Awesome
29th Jan 2012, 14:13
Apparently, they've gotten way too many applications from guys like me so they've changed their add:

Now hiring non-rated Captains! Upgrades available to the A380!
Minimum requirements are as follows:
 B737NG type rated candidates
o PIC experience on 737efis or NG
o 5000 hours total time
 Non-rated Captains accepted as follows:
o 1500 hours Jet PIC hours (glass cockpit…maximum takeoff weight (MTOW) above 40,000 LBs (18,145 kg)
o 5000 hours total time
 Valid ATP license with no limitations, valid passport, Class A Medical, radio license
 Maximum age 60 (NEW!)
 ICAO level 4
 Must have previous commercial airline experience

The MTOW >40,000 was not in their original add.

dalflyer
30th Jan 2012, 09:05
If you think you're going to get an upgrade to the A380 you're either smoking Crack or just naive enough to believe what they are advertising. :ugh:

The A380 is going to turn in to a JALBoys Club....no gaijins allowed.

No_Speed_Restriction
24th Mar 2012, 13:45
Hi,

Does anyone have any recent info regarding the interview and sim day?

No_Speed_Restriction
26th Mar 2012, 06:18
Hi,

Does anyone have any info regarding Skymark's latest interview technique and/or sim session?

falcon10
8th Apr 2012, 22:04
What happens if one leaves before the contract is up?

galdian
9th Apr 2012, 00:46
3 months notice given then just walk away, of course no bonus (only $9,000 anyway so f**k all in the scheme of things).

flyheavy
9th Apr 2012, 19:03
Just finished the screening on last Sat, straight forward with about 30 minutes sim, normal T/OFF and ILS land, then another take off RAWDATA with visual circuit landing. That's all

cfibrad
22nd Apr 2012, 13:25
Any word yet? I was in Seattle 2 weeks ago as well. Still waiting.

SUPERDAVEMAN
28th Apr 2012, 06:19
A word of caution:

Skymark will invite almost everybody with a pulse to the interview but the word is that they will end up hiring only rated skippers.
The trip to Tokyo or the states is paid out of your own pocket.
It appears that they are building a pool so don't expect to be hired into the next class.
a brief description of the process:
The interview is conducted by a Japanese instructor pilot and a representative from HR.
The first does not speak or understand much of the English language and uses a translator provided by IASCO. the HR rep English is quite limited.
During the interview (about 5-7 minutes) you will be asked one and one question only : "why do you want to work for SKYMARK " what ever your answer is , it does not appear that they bother listening. the instructor pilot will be preoccupied with your papers and logbook so make sure those are in perfect order.
You will be given a form detailing a visual approach maneuver that you will need to demonstrate on the following day in the simulator .
The simulator evaluation includes a visual approach at RGAA , it will be modified and not flown according to the form you received on the previous day.:eek:
You will fly it raw data ( no AP no AT no FD) the instructor will run your heading bug and flaps without asking you or waiting for you to call for those. (CRM ? )
You will fly a normal ILS to a full stop. figure 10-12 minutes ride.
Although the IASCO rep will tell you on the previous day that you could ask for a few minutes warm up session , for most non is offered or given whether you flown the equipment before or not.
If you ask they will tell you that the results will be announced in a week , the actual results are given about three weeks later and according to the IASCO rep sometimes even months later.
Rumor is that due to high bust rate of the JCAB medical , you will be required to pass those at your home country prior to arriving in Japan where you will have to pass those again with a JCAB MD - you will be responsible to cover the cost for the "pre medical"

If you are hired there is no time off to visit home during the 6-8 months of training.

Out of approximately 25 applicant in a recent interview the word is that only 5 were offered employment and some for a possible September class.

Get you jeans and t shirts ready - these will be your uniform at SKYMARK:)

Good luck.

The Dominican
28th Apr 2012, 17:32
I know now of 8 pilots that are currently in class at SKY, none of them are rated.

SUPERDAVEMAN
28th Apr 2012, 18:23
that is unless you know more the SKY's chief pilot...:=

The Dominican
28th Apr 2012, 18:47
I'm sorry to contradict you, but 5 of our guys left for SKY recently and they are in class now, none of them are rated, three others that I know very well are also there and they weren't rated either, I know of two more guys that are already on the line for about a year now and they weren't rated either. Believe it or not, it makes no difference to me

esprit
29th Apr 2012, 00:36
Almost perfect...I flew at my previous carrier for 3 years in the left seat...so 1 out of 5 would be more accurate. 8 out of 13 in my class were rated...of those 5 had the jcab type. Two were previous Skymark who are returning.

The previous poster who claimed only Japanese would be chosen to fly the A380 was wrong to make that claim. They are cherry-picking pilots to attend the training. They could care less what color you are as long as are a good pilot. I know of one guy selected and hes caucasian.

SUPERDAVEMAN
3rd May 2012, 05:33
I have been doing a little research on this company.

SKYMARK aka SKIDMARK redefines : " cheap scumbags " they will treat you like diesel fuel... ( that would explain the large amount of skippers bailing ship in recent months)
DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME AND MONEY on the interview.
Last round , out of over 25 qualified to over qualified captains more than 20 were turned down - from all agencies - no explanation given.
out of the few who were offered employment at least one is turning the offer down.
They couldn't care less with the cost of your travel to the interview - they don't pay for it . they don't invest on the simulator assessments as those are only few minutes long.

I would strongly advise to avoid this airline.

work to live
3rd May 2012, 09:54
I was non-type rated and do not feel like diesel fuel but yes, I do have pulse....
Biggest part of working in Japan is the 7-8 mths of training to pass the JCAB checks. Even if "qualified or over qualified" if the company does not think you can do that,then why offer employment? Thats the idea of an interview surely?
Its not just basic flying skills, but also ability to listen,do what's required and not think you know everything ,having a "this is how I do it" attitude.
Passing the Initial JCAB medical is hard so am not surprised it may become a pre-requisite, as it is at most other Japanese airlines.
As to offering interviews to anyone. I see they have raised their requirements.
At least Skymark is being selective, if you want to work for airlines that "offer a job" to anyone with a pulse, then China is calling. I for one would much rather be in Japan than China any day.And to make it clear,I have worked in China.

WYOMINGPILOT
3rd May 2012, 12:49
"if you want to work for airlines that "offer a job" to anyone with a pulse, then China is calling. I for one would much rather be in Japan than China any day."
Obviously you haven't been through a Chinese Interview and selection process as your ignorance is apparent. China vs. Japan is to each his/her own but China offers many contracts superior to Japan. You have to come and experience it to appreciate it but I have lived/worked in both places and each place has unique things to offer. The Chinese selection process is also hard and less than 50% make it through the myriad of hoops to jump through here. Medicals in China are difficult though not as extensive as Japan.

esprit
3rd May 2012, 13:45
I am in no position to speak of working in China. I can only repeat what has been told to me from friends who have worked there. And none of it is positive. Infact there seems to be a common theme. And that is, prepare to get f'ed.

I had my travel to Tokyo for the interview paid upfront. Everyone in my class had theirs paid too. I have no complaints as of yet. Other than my $2300 per diem paid a week late. I was told it was a mistake due to golden week. The training has been top- notch. The pay is good..ontime except for this hiccup. And I have been treated lightyears ahead of my previous japanese carrier. I will be the first to raise the bs flag when itneeds to be raised...but I havent seen a reason yet. People who know me, know that I am not afraid to speak up if theres something awry. I havent seen it yet.

SUPERDAVEMAN
3rd May 2012, 21:26
Not only have I been through an interview in China but the fact is that I completed two contract terms there.
I did not apply with Skidmark but recommended it based on adverts that I ran across to a friend who went through their B.S of a selection process: 3 minutes interview and a 10 minutes simulator assessment.
This is the first time In my entire 30 years of airline flying that I hear of such a selection process.
In addition ,I believe that what was said in this thread with regard to Skidmark paying for travel to the interview and simulator evaluation upfront just proves my point , this is the way to go and I am more than certain that the percentage of pilots who were selected was much greater than that of the previous run. ( 2 or 3 pilots out of 25 or so)
Why ? because Skidmark has invested in the process vs what they do these days and that is inviting a mass of pilots who have to pay for this fiasco themselves .
How many pilots do you think would embark on such an adventure if they knew that this is the ratio between those who are selected and those who are not ?
So I stand by my recommendation : do not spend / waste your time and money on a Skidmark interview , if they will pay for it than sure , by all means give it a go.
I also stand by my other statement that Skidmark redefine cheap !
An airline that is too cheap to pay for pilot's uniform and have their pilots fly passengers in whatever attire they choose...? what ever happen to pride in this profession ?
and lastly , even if flying in China was such a bad deal , two wrongs don't make a right...
At least in China the pay is greater , more appropriate and inline with the industry .

esprit
3rd May 2012, 22:04
Yep you are 100% right.. this place is much worse than any contract in China. This is really a miserable place to be. As soon as that Walmart position opens up back home I'm outta here!

captjns
4th May 2012, 00:37
Unless the interview is on way to the market, bar, restaurant, date, or whatever... no company is worth the time of the interview.

work to live
4th May 2012, 02:15
Maybe they want people who have done their research and looked into what is required and the lifestyle they will have as a contract pilot in Japan. So anyone that just comes along to "give it ago" may not be the right person. Thats the idea of these forums, to pass on information,usually from people who have least done the process or are working/have worked for the company. Luckily most pilots will read the forums and make their own intelligent decision, hopefully on the correct information. So:
Non-type rated pilots currently in training.
Do not have to be Japanese to upgrade to Airbus (at this stage anyway)
Uniform is Skymark polo shirt,windbreaker jacket,cap.
Skymark now has in house checkers so the random 6mth JCAB checks are no longer,you still have to do initial type rating and route check with JCAB, as with any Japanese airline.
The pay is what it is,paid on time(usually) and may be less than China, but there is always a reason for that and I standby my statement that "I would rather be in Japan than China any day"
Skymark is a LCC and Air Asia/Jetstar and other LCC's all require u to pay for airfare to interview. Your choice to do that or not.
Also as a new ppruner, with 30 yrs experience at age 37, makes one wonder what your motive is for your posts.

esprit
4th May 2012, 03:02
Yep thats what I was thinking. Obviously has an ax to grind. Has never worked/ interviewed at Skymark yet thinks he knows about the job. Fortunately prospective pilots will be able to see through his agenda and make an educated decision based on all the other FACTUAL posts. Too bad pprune can't filter out tools.

SUPERDAVEMAN
4th May 2012, 07:25
" Maybe they want people who have done their research and looked into what is required and the lifestyle they will have as a contract pilot in Japan. So anyone that just comes along to "give it ago" may not be the right person. Thats the idea of these forums, to pass on information,usually from people who have least done the process or are working/have worked for the company. Luckily most pilots will read the forums and make their own intelligent decision, hopefully on the correct information. So:
Non-type rated pilots currently in training. "

YOU ARE REFERRING TO THE PAST AND I AM REFERRING TO THE PRESENT.
THERE MAYBE FEW NON TYPE RATED PILOTS IN TRAINING AT THIS TIME AND I BELIEVE 1-5 WAS THE RATIO " ESPRIT" HAS INDICATED ?
Do not have to be Japanese to upgrade to Airbus (at this stage anyway)

THIS YOU DO NOT REALLY KNOW , RIGHT ?

Uniform is Skymark polo shirt,windbreaker jacket,cap.

CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG BUT YOU ONLY HAVE TO CHOOSE ONE OF THESE ITEMS AND THE REST IS UP TO YOU ?
THE CAP IS A BASEBALL TYPE OF CAP AM I CORRECT ?
DO YOU REALLY CALL THESE UNIFORM ?
DO YOU KNOW OF OTHER AIRLINES ANYWHERE ON THE PLANET WITH UNIFORM LIKE THAT ?

Skymark now has in house checkers so the random 6mth JCAB checks are no longer,you still have to do initial type rating and route check with JCAB, as with any Japanese airline.

The pay is what it is,paid on time(usually) and may be less than China, but there is always a reason for that and I standby my statement that "I would rather be in Japan than China any day"

WHAT IS THE REASON THAN SKIDMARK IS THE LOWEST PAY AIRLINES IN ASIA? ( CHEAP COME TO MIND? )

Skymark is a LCC and Air Asia/Jetstar and other LCC's all require u to pay for airfare to interview. Your choice to do that or not.

NOT TOO SURE ABOUT JETSTAR .

Also as a new ppruner, with 30 yrs experience at age 37, makes one wonder what your motive is for your posts.

MY AGE IS 57 IF YOU MUST KNOW AND I DON'T FEEL THAT MY BIRTH DATE IS RELEVANT TO ANY PUBLIC FORUM
IT DOESN'T REALLY SAY "work to live" OR " esprit " IN YOUR BIRTH CERTIFICATES NOW DOES IT ?

I BELIEVE I CLEARLY INDICATED THE MOTIVE OF MY POST AND THAT IS TO SHARE INFORMATION AND WARN FELLOW PILOTS FROM WHAT IS A HEAD WHEN CHOOSING TO EMBARK ON A SKIDMARK ADVENTURE .

I ALSO INDICATED IN MY INITIAL POST THAT WHAT i AM WRITING IS WHAT I HEAR AND I AM GLAD THAT SOME OF THE FACTS ARE BEING DISPUTED WHILST SOME ARE CONFIRMED.

AGAIN , MY INFORMATION IS RELEVANT TO RECENT TIMES AND NOT TO THE PAST WHERE THINGS MAY HAVE BEEN DIFFERENT
JUST AS AN EXAMPLE SKIDMARK WOULD PAY UPFRONT FOR YOUR JOURNEY TO AND FROM THE INTERVIEW.

THE BOTTOM LINE IS : GIVEN THE PRESENT SELECTION PROCESS . TRAINING AND THE REST OF THE WHOLE PACKAGE
WOULD YOU RECOMMEND IT TO A MATE ? A NON RATED PILOT ?

LindbergB767
4th May 2012, 10:20
Hi all of you
The reason that Skymark do not have uniform is not because they can t afford it
Until 4 years ago all pilots were going to work (in uniform) by taxi paid by Skymark
At that time Skymark were operating around 10 to 12 Aircrafts (around 80 pilots)
The cost of taxi were about $50 to $120 US for each pilots (depending of were they lived)
As the Cie grow (they were planning more than 25 Aircrafts) the CEO decided to stop this in order to save around $2,000,000 US per year
So the pilots told the Cie that they were not interested to travel by bus, subway, monorail while being dressed in uniform and carrying flying bag plus overnight bag
So the CEO came up with this Skywear clothes and provided full library in each aircrafts so we did not have to carry a flight bag, and most of the pilots were happy to wear jeans, nike shoe, and carry only a backpack to work
Passengers d ont really care. They want to fly modern aircrafts, well maintained, on time departure and safe
When you say that Skymark is the worst contract in Asia I thing you are wrong
If you add up the salary, per diem, ticket every month, apartment, and your Japanese income tax all paid by Skymark it is around $20000 US a month
All training, accommodation, salary, per diem, are paid by Skymark from day one
It is not the best contract, but it is not the worst either and for those who are looking for a commuting contract it is fine. People are polite, nice, honest and as far you do your job properly you w ont have any problems
And in a few months with the Cie Checker the life will be easier for every one of my friends who are still working there

Dream Land
4th May 2012, 10:44
How refreshing to view a post from someone that has real knowledge about an operation, versus worthless hear say, I wish people would just shut their pie hole unless they have real personal experience.

Cheers, DL:ok:

galdian
4th May 2012, 11:34
A most interesting thread, a few observations and facts:

- a few years ago the brainstrust then in control of recruiting decided no interviews required or assessments, I believe especially in relation to some European applicants; although the wisdom was questioned the attitude prevailed, TTBOMHK some may have arrived...but none got cleared;

- they are presently going through a LONG process of getting in-house C&T, allegedly 2 Sky checkers per month assessed by JCAB, some of these Sky checkers are approaching 65 so will have to be replaced in the immediate future AND if you're naive enough to believe there won't be a few problems along the way to slow down implementation a little (maybe a lot) then you are being a bit Forrest Gumpy.
The final kicker: NOT saying JCAB have any figure required to fail/have problems during recurrent SIM/LINE checks however people do fail, rightly or wrongly.
There is NO WAY ON THIS EARTH that Sky failures could go from X% (JCAB) to 0% (Sky in house C&T) overnight. Eventually YES will be better (or slightly less stressful depending on the CKR involved) however, as always, there can be NO GAIN without PAIN!!! (also make the JCAB look bad, can't have that!)

- upgrades...:D:D:D:eek::eek::eek::ugh::ugh::ugh:
Lots of talk - anyone who believes a contract agency that there are "assured" upgrades is indeed a very, very trusting individual.
Unknown is the number of Japanese Captains who are still arriving, how many (if any) achieve positions of authority and who could possibly change the direction of the company (maybe better, maybe worse).
Invitations issued can be withdrawn, ignored or altered ESPECIALLY by old, esteemed Japanese Captains in new management positions....maybe!

- of the uniform the cap is the ONLY required constant (strangely though most seem to find the wind too strong on walkarounds so do not wear the cap for safety reasons - miraculously on checkrides the wind always appears pretty calm!)
Either the polo shirt OR the windbreaker, one must be visible on the FD.
Totally a power/control game between Sky management and JCAB, apparently loads are ok or improved so maybe the plebs don't mind someone taking on the life-usurping bureaucracy that dominates Japan?? Just wondering.
As a final:any "uniform" Vs "pay arriving on time" aggro...give me pay every time, not perfect but pretty consistent;

- pay, greatest benefit can be that TAX liability is clearly laid out as opposed to some other countries - and all contract companies comply, EOFS.
How that translates to individuals is up to them to work out - tax in other countries/contracts can be less "clear" probably to the advantage of the contract company and the airline, would doubt any advantage to the contract pilot (just me being cynical no doubt!);

- "Skymark need 200 pilots..." apparently an early statement by Sky, IF it is finally realised the initial statement was incorrect it will NEVER BE CORRECTED: not the Japanese way.
It is possible the last lot going through were all aces of the bases - all complete knuckledraggers - or somewhere in between.
Wouldn't matter - slow down acceptance rate...but not loose face about number of pilots required.
Possibility...maybe yes...maybe no...maybe maybe...

- whomever it was "...training great..." oh please! :ugh: the classroom "training" is still classic rote (is it not??), hopefully a few things of sense and practicality have slipped into later training.

Cheers all
galdian:ok:

galdian
4th May 2012, 11:51
Hi Lindberg

Hope all going well in V.

Looks like our responses were being typed and entered at the same time, think your's very fair as you were screwed pretty hard in Sky; however much there was some minor error from the flight crew the whole problem came down to a "wrong place/wrong time/COMPLETELY wrong time in the JCAB Vs SKY non-drama that was being played out" situation.

All the best
Cheers
galdian

esprit
4th May 2012, 15:07
Look Grandpa, lay off the prune juice for a second. For starters your English/grammar is atrocious. (It helps if you are trying to come off as being educated). Yes its a LCC, so they will cut corners where they can. I'm not hearing too many complaints about the uniform. I know its not like the golden years when you flew for Braniff or Pan Am. The year is 2012. My guess is Skymark Pilots will have to wear the traditional uniform once they start flying International in order to make it through Customs. To say this is the worst contract in all of Asia just confirms what I already presumed..that you are an uneducated idiot. I brought in over $10000/ month while in training. (once I am online there is the potential to make over $20000) That was AFTER taxes. I can think of several contracts that come in below that figure. Plus its not in CHINA. The place doesn't even compare to Japan. 57 is a good age to get checked for dementia. Skymark isn't the be all or end all, thats for damn sure, but its not nearly half as bad as you make it out to be. Stick to things you know about, like whats on the menu at the Ole Country Buffet or the words to old Glen Miller Band tunes. Cuz your bs here doesn't really fly. Where do you work SuperDave?

work to live
5th May 2012, 02:05
If u look at the post from Lindbergh,you will see what a factual post actually is,instead of one based on a little research and a lot of hearsay. So you recommended the job to your friend,who did not get the job,then all of a sudden Skymark is a villain and you show your maturity by calling it school yard names.
You post on this forum with a new ID,stating your age as 37 then say you have 30 yrs experience. One lie usually means more,liars can't help themselves that way.Again you are making recommendations even though you did not interview,have worked for Skymark or even worked in Japan. You assertions about the uniform and Skymarks pay shows how little you do know.
Since you know the chief pilot so well. I am surprised your friend did not get the job, but please,let all of us here working at Skymark know the latest.
Yes, I do and am recommending Skymark to my friends.
I am happy here at Skymark,it works for me and will defend it against wrong statements and assumptions from those that have no knowledge.
Hope you are happy, who ever and where ever you are

esprit
5th May 2012, 03:36
I would be interested in where he is working. Must be a pretty nice outfit.