PDA

View Full Version : Remembering the aircrews of the Lancaster Bomber

Doering
3rd Nov 2011, 17:08
As Remembrance Day/Veterans Day approaches, this video puts many aspects of WWII into perspective.
"Lest we not forget"

Courage and Passion on Vimeo

allan907
4th Nov 2011, 16:00
Shame that the odd Halifax (03.05) and Stirling (03.57) turned up in the real footage. And the whole thing spoiled by the rather daggy simulator footage at the end.

Sorry to spoil somebody's party.

kevmusic
4th Nov 2011, 21:49
It's easy to pick. Really appreciated what you're doing - I though it was a sympathetic tribute....well done.:)

However, to be taken seriously, you've got to get it right. As allan907 says, the Halifaxes and Stirling were off-putting, and the CGI? - forget it. Also, Bomber Command tours were for 30 ops, not 50.

astir 8
5th Nov 2011, 04:01
Last year at Fairford I had the opportunity to spend half an hour inside the BBMF Lancaster. Absolutely fascinating but the improbability of making it to an exit in emergency conditions was all too apparent. Lancaster crews were most definitely heroes.

Tempsford
5th Nov 2011, 06:03
I can't understand the attitude of some people on here. The level of nit picking is quite frankly amazing. I looked at the figures, over 3000 Lancasters lost, the numbers of aircrew lost and their ages. I was brought up in an aviation background and have an awareness of what went on in Bomber Command, but to see so many pictures of so many young men in such a short space of time as in this video has reminded me again of their sacrifice.
I have just spent a few moments refelcting, not worrying about whether I have seen CGI, Halifaxes or Stirlings.

Bless em all

Temps

Topspotter
5th Nov 2011, 19:25
Well said Mike:ok:

John Farley
7th Nov 2011, 08:23
It was the best tribute I have seen. Very, very well done.

JF

WHBM
7th Nov 2011, 12:15
Shame that the odd Halifax (03.05) and Stirling (03.57) turned up in the real footage.
My father was on Halifaxes and was always dismayed post-war by the way they were just forgotten, so to the good that they managed to get included.

What the crews he was with had to say about Stirlings, though (which he caught just the tail end of right at the start of the tour) was decidedly less complimentary. What was it about them ? Not enough power ?

kevmusic
7th Nov 2011, 14:03
Apologies to Doering if my second paragraph appeared uber-picky. (I am one of those who gets upset by slapdash detail in supposedly 'professional' TV documentaries.) I really did think you did a great job - timely too, with Rememberance Week and the 70th anniversary of the Lanc's acceptance by the RAF.

Now, the Stirling. Being the first of the RAF's heavies, it suffered from having a wingspan that had to fit through pre-war hangar doors, and, as a result, a very low aspect ratio wing. This limited its operational ceiling to (IIRC) 12,000ft, making it much more vulnerable to searchlight detection and anti-aircraft fire. Furthermore, options for evasion and recovery manouevres were correspondingly more limited.

Doering
8th Nov 2011, 13:38
Thank you for watching and for your comments.
Some clarification: The videos on my Vimeo site are created as part of my interest in Flight Simulation. They are not documentaries. It is one of my hobbies. This one is a tribute video that expanded from a simple flight simulator clip. Hence the inclusion of CGI.
There is no slapdash information in the video. Dozens and dozens of hours were put into the research, photo collection and editing for the video. The video was previewed by "Lanc" enthusiasts and by some surviving members of Bomber Command and given the "go ahead". Yes, the vast majority of the tours consisted of 30 ops, but some did 50. The words and figures I used were to drive home the main point of the video. Yes, the odd Halifax and Stirling did not make it through the video editing cut. Sorry to the purists, but they were all part of the Bomber Command story.

You may be interested in watching this companion video that has been used by local groups in the UK to preserve abandoned airfields. Thanks again.

Critical Foundations on Vimeo

allan907
8th Nov 2011, 14:25
Don't be too downhearted Doering - you're keeping the tradition of the mainstream media alive with its rich history of swapping 707s for 747s and prop liners morphing into jets etc etc!

If you want to put your efforts on this website, particularly on this forum, and trumpet your own efforts then you are entering the lions den. Clips have to be absolutely up to spec to get past examination and CGI which is anything less than bloody perfect is going to get a roasting. The usual run of the mill flight sim just simply doesn't cut it - no matter what the sentiment is.

Probably would have been better for someone else to have put up your efforts. But don't stop - it can only get better.

John Farley
8th Nov 2011, 15:36
Doering

Well done. Not only did I think your first vid was the best on the topic I have yet seen I also feel the same about your second.

I do not share the opinions expressed in post 11.

JF

Tempsford
8th Nov 2011, 16:55
Doering

Another very good tribute.

Tempsford

Proof Reader
8th Nov 2011, 17:05
Dear Doering

I think that your two videos are absolutely lovely and thank you for sharing them with us. The hard work and talent which have gone into them is very obvious.

If I had one nit pick it would be for your initial post at the top of the thread. It should be "Lest we forget" not "lest we not forget" "Lest" loosely means "in case".

goudie
8th Nov 2011, 20:52
Very moving tribute I thought.

A friend of mine flew Halifaxes, he always thought it was never given it's full credit. Bit like the Hurricane v Spitfire I suppose. Though thankfully we do have a Hurricane flying still.

I'm off to Old Warden for the 'Aviation Lecture', this coming Sat. The subject is, 'An Audience with the BBMF'.
Most fitting at this time of the year.

With ref to preserving airfields this is a pretty decent job
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTNHB2-NqfJMiNLH1FZhp7yDOKLEOJDHHI9aF5rqjZ3wMgwHGMHFg
at Steeple Morden. Although the actual airfield is now farmland there are still a few buildings left from it's war years.

Doering
9th Nov 2011, 13:41
Well, I must say thank you! I am truly glad that I have kept (to quote in this thread) “the mainstream media alive” by inserting the glimpse of a Halifax and a Stirling in place of the Lancaster theme. It is clear that the inclusion of these 2 aircraft was a blessing in disguise as many have connected with these heavy bombers in similar ways to the Lancaster.
It is time to remember the sacrifices in all ways possible, regardless of the media format presented. The voices in this “lions den” are confirmatory and appreciative of real and computer generated images that convey a central message. To all those men and women associated with all the aircraft of Bomber Command, we remember and value their efforts that have contributed to our freedom today.

SPIT
11th Nov 2011, 17:04
Hi
The video was a superb tribute to Bomber Command, and as for the BBMF well why can't the call it the RAF Historical Flight as the Lanc paid no part in the BoB (I don't think). If they did rename the BBMF other RAF aircraft could and should be part of it by rights ???
Beside that once again I say it is a superb video. :ok::ok:

bingofuel
11th Nov 2011, 17:48
''Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it''

All tributes help us remember, lest we forget.....

GQ2
7th Dec 2011, 03:14
These were both atmospheric and well done. I've seen rubbish on the TV that wasn't as good. Ignore the anoraks who want to advertise their ATC aircraft-recognition skills.:ok:
On a more serious note;- Since the war, there has been a foul conspiracy, led by ignorant sandal-wearing goat-shaggers, to denigrate the work of Bomber Command, to which the establishment has kowtowed. The truth is, not only did Harris's Old Lags take the war to the enemy when we had no other effective way of doing so, Bomber Command sapped the ability of Germany to pursue it's huge campaigns in the East, enabled D-Day to take place with relatively few losses, and prevented Hitler developing thermonuclear weapons before we could finish him off. After all, the Germans had the worlds first and only working ballistic rocket to deliver it.... All this we owe to the sacrifices of Bomber Command. The hurt went very deep too. They quite justifiably felt betrayed. Friends of mine who did two tours on Lancs couldn't even bear to talk about it decades later and took their bitterness to the grave. Now there's an issue to debate. :hmm: