PDA

View Full Version : Any ideas, Windows live, page problem

dazdaz1
3rd Nov 2011, 15:13
Any ideas on this (W7) After boot up the windows live login page comes up. Last week I did a Google and found how to stop the page from showing.....control panel>system&security>admin tools>double click 'system config'> start up tab>scroll down and unclick windows live box.

All work fine for about a week until this morning, yes you've guessed it, the login page is back! so I went through the above again and found the windows live box still unticket. So I'm wondering why it's back again. Have not done any downloads.

Daz

Spurlash2
3rd Nov 2011, 19:55
1. Sign on to Windows Live Messenger
2. Menu/Tools/Options
3. Choose Sign In.
4. Under General, uncheck the box beside, "Automatically run Windows Live Messenger when I log on to Windows.
5. Click the 'Accept/OK' button.

Also;

In XP, you can also disable Messenger from "Services", which is found under Performance and Maintenance -> Administrative Tools..."

In Win 8 :-), wlidsvc can be stopped. It's the Windows live ID sign in assistant.

PS. Don't use Win Live so can't confirm. Usual caveats, etc...

dazdaz1
5th Nov 2011, 16:21
Spurlash2.. Thanks for your help but there is no "auto run" box option, in fact there are no options to un check any box.

Strange thing is, after going through my above instruction, I've just found that windows has created another ticked file for windows live so I've just un ticked it. Working fine now, no windows live login prompt after boot up. Now, I have two of the same files un ticked. It seems windows after a few days creates a new windows live file.:eek:

Will await the :rolleyes:creation of the third windows live file in a few days.

Daz

green granite
5th Nov 2011, 18:34
the Windows live ID sign in assistant is enabled on my PC's services page but I don't get the page at boot up. Do you
1) have the password stored on the PC? ( I do) and
2) Do you delete cookies regularly? (I don't delete cookies for stored password sites )

But then I don't use messenger only hotmail. I think but can't be sure that the messenger icon appeared in the task bar hidden icon area and I right clicked on it and told it to disappear and it did, but it was a while ago now.

Spurlash2
7th Nov 2011, 09:23
1. Open Internet Explorer browser.
2. Click on the Tools drop-down menu, and choose Manage add-ons.
3. On the Manage add-ons window, click on each of the following: Windows Live ID Sign-in Helper, Windows Live, Windows Live Sign-in Control, Windows Live Toolbar, and Windows Live Toolbar Helper and choose disable on the settings located at lower-right part of the window.
4. You may be prompted “Do you want to disable this add-on?”
5. Click Disable and then click Close.
6. Close the Internet Explorer window, and then, just for fun, to see if it has worked, reboot.
7. Let us know!

dazdaz1
7th Nov 2011, 13:32
GG..1) no 2) no, but thanks for your help. Like yourself I've not used messenger for a couple of years, only hotmail.

Spurlash2 It's all working fine at the moment, no windows live page on startup since my #2 post. However, if the problem returns I'll follow your latest advice and report back.

Daz

dazdaz1
9th Nov 2011, 13:33
Update.....Windows Live window back this morning, went through the procedure in my #1 post. This time a third (was expecting) had NOT been created, but the second created file from a few days ago, the box had been ticked so un ticked it and all going fine again. Spurlash2 I will follow your last advice and see what happens.

Just bugging me what is is re ticking the box after a couple of days:ugh:

Daz

dazdaz1
22nd Nov 2011, 17:25
Spurlash2

Sorry for delayed reply.....Sorted!! Thanks very much.

Daz