PDA

View Full Version : ADSL Modem and Windows7

Brewster Buffalo
1st Nov 2011, 21:48
Stopped using the wireless connection on my old laptop due to poor reception and so have been relying on a Speedtouch 330 modem instead. Just upgraded to a new Win 7 laptop but unfortunately the 330 modem isn't compatible with Win 7 (32 or 64 bit mode)

No non-wireless modems for sale at PC World. Maplins have one but again not Win 7 compatible. Any ideas whether I can get one?? Have they stopped making them??

jimtherev
1st Nov 2011, 22:03
Just about every wireless modem I've seen has a LAN (network) port - usually four of 'em. You don't have to use the wireless at all - you can indeed switch it off from the computer once you're connected.

I don't understand the W7 compatibility! If you've got a LAN connection, you've got a LAN connection. Or am I missing something?

mixture
1st Nov 2011, 22:09
Brewster Buffalo,

Speedtouch 330 is a USB modem, so a different kettle of fish as it needs a hardware driver.

I can absolutely guarantee you 100% that if you go to a shop and purchase a wired ADSL router, it will talk to any device that implements the TCP/IP protocol (Mac, Linux, Windows ... television, fridge etc) as long as it has an Ethernet port.

All you need to do is plug it in (power, phone line, ethernet cable) , point your web browser to the default web page, enter the default username and password, and configure your settings. No software to install on your computer (but don't forget to check for software updates for the router !).

So in summary, what you are looking to buy is an ADSL router not modem. In terms of brands, look for Netgear as they've been around since year dot and are widely deployed, and thus a very safe bet. Walk (or preferably run !) away from Billon, Belkin, D-Link and any white-label Chinese brands you haven't heard of (i.e. looking at the maplin website, stuff like "Sitecom") !

P.Pilcher
1st Nov 2011, 23:28
For information, my exchange was Broadband enabled in 2003. In 2004 I followed with a new computer, windoze XP and a D-link router/modem/radio LAN. It only had WEP security and I didn't manage to even enable that for quite a few years but it has been working H24 since then. About 6 months ago, my wife acquired a Win 7 computer. My ancient D-Link router interfaced with it immediately and continues to work perfectly.

P.P.

Brewster Buffalo
2nd Nov 2011, 20:12
At the moment the speedtouch sits beside the laptop and there is 10m or so telephone extension cable linking the modem to the telephone line socket in an adjoining room. So I suppose I would then have a router next to the laptop instead and connecting to the telephone socket the same way.

The new laptop has the n standard and is detecting many more networks than the current g standard laptop so I may try for a wireless connection again via BT Hub so no need for a router.