PDA

View Full Version : J31 Type Rating

Dan the weegie
1st Nov 2011, 21:27
Got an email today saying that OAA are decommissioning their J31/32 Sim in Jan 2012 - so no more courses from the end of this year.
Hardly a big deal for anyone that is rated or is never going to be rated :)

I on the other hand have a job which requires me to be rated and need to get on a rating course. Been trying lots of places and getting nowhere :).

Where else does a J31 rating either in Europe or RoTW? Any contact details via PM :)

Thanks in advance.

taxi_driver
2nd Nov 2011, 17:46
You might want to try a pm to Linton Chilcott on these boards, I believe he was/is involved in J31 training.

Flight Safety I think have a J31 sim in either Seattle or St. Louis.

Dan the weegie
2nd Nov 2011, 18:06
Yep, thanks the flight safety one would be great but sadly I need a JAR one for my JAR licence :(.

I'll get in touch with Linton soon to see what else can be done. I was half hoping there would be a rush for ratings from the existing J31 companies but thus far nothing. It's very frustrating having found that elusive first job only to trip up on the rating - I can't say I was expecting that. With no J31 sim in JAA/EASA it would leave it to the aircraft rating only which works except OAA want 4 people on the groundschool to make that worthwhile :ugh:

Incidentally, I'm not looking for a Partner here more trying to shoehorn myself on to a course with another company :) which ultimately amounts to the same thing but not entirely :).

No Country Members
2nd Nov 2011, 18:28
Is that a UK OAA sim? If so I have a feeling that their Arlanda Stockholm training facility has a Jetstream sim. I think I saw it on the booking board last time I was there. If you are already talking about this sim apologies and disregard.

taxi_driver
2nd Nov 2011, 18:35
Its a bit of a redundant type in some ways but there are still a fair few in service. It tends to be same old faces who fly them.

Blue Islands, Links Air, Jetstream Executive are a few operators that spring to mind.

In principle just because the sim is in the US doesnt mean that a JAA rating cannot be conducted, subject to correct personel and paperwork.

Dan the weegie
2nd Nov 2011, 19:37
It's the Stockholm one that's being retired, as far as I know it's the only one in active service in Europe. I'll email flightsafety and find out if they would be able to to a JAR rating, I doubt it.

Dan the weegie
2nd Nov 2011, 19:57
FlightSafety are FAA only.
Meet me at square 1 :|

madlandrover
2nd Nov 2011, 21:14
Isn't there a J31 TRTO in Greece? I don't know anything about it myself but know of a small J31 operator that uses a TRTO down south.

Luke SkyToddler
3rd Nov 2011, 07:34
Bugger! Mrs Skytoddler was also planning her J31 renewal sometime soon, I always thought the ex-woodford now-Swedish J31 sim was the last one on earth.

Alan Mossman, Linton Chilcott (ex Highland) have both got J31 TRE privileges, don't know who does them at Eastern but there must be a couple there, Paul Carter at INV I believe is one. Theres a complete madman called Nigel Harris, down in Essex last I heard, he had TRE on them at one stage. Mad-jock are you reading this, did you ever get the TRE on jetstream?

Dan the weegie
3rd Nov 2011, 09:54
I've been in discussion with the loony scot one for a wee while. There's a small flicker of hope for me at the moment. Still working on Flight Safety but it seems like their sim isn't rigged with the same avionics as the JAA aircraft and as such might not be possible to do a rating on. The lady at FSI has been quite helpful, OAA have, not stupidly, but somewhat irritatingly been protecting their profits and so wont let me do it solo as a special case. I'm told it's possible to do the rating on the actual plane but it's not as good although I don't know of any TRTO that could arrange this.

Dan the weegie
3rd Nov 2011, 10:15
And now the expensive option!
convert to FAA CPL/IR revalidate my JAA ME-IR at the same time and do the FAA J31 rating, go to the job and convert my licence again. Wow!

mad_jock
3rd Nov 2011, 11:30
Not JAR luke so it doesn't really count and its not quite the same thing.

And to be honest most operators will be in two minds about the closure.

It will make it a bigger pain to get folk rated but it will mean that they will be able to continue doing LPC's on the aircraft and not have get folk up to sweden with HOTAC etc.

Give me a PM and we shall see if we can get the good looking one in your marrage sorted out.

harriewillem
3rd Nov 2011, 12:30
AIS Airlines in the Netherlands is an TRTO on the J31/32.

AIS Airlines (http://www.aisairlines.nl)

Dan the weegie
3rd Nov 2011, 13:13
Thank you, I sent them an email :).

MIKECR
3rd Nov 2011, 22:02
Dan, maybe im stating the obvious but even if you find a sim to do the TR, you'll presumably still need to find an aircraft and TRI/E to do the circuits to complete the rating?

Luke SkyToddler
3rd Nov 2011, 22:17
There is no JAR approved sim remaining in Europe if the Swedish one goes, I'm 100% sure of that.

mad_jock
3rd Nov 2011, 22:34
The aircraft and base check TRE bit is easy in comparision to the rest.

MIKECR
3rd Nov 2011, 22:43
It is and it isnt MJ. You still need an operator willing to lend their aircraft for the day as well as a TRE to fly it. Could be just as big a challenge as getting a TR course.

mad_jock
3rd Nov 2011, 22:56
Trust me its not an issue at all getting an aircraft or a suitably qualified TRE.

Dan the weegie
3rd Nov 2011, 23:25
Like MJ says, getting the base check done is a piece of cake and is all pretty much organised by the employer :) it's the actual training which I need to try and get. I have to say how impressed I am with the effort Flight Safety are showing to try and fix me up, it may not work out with them but I'm very impressed.

AIS run Type ratings in Holland and have responded to let me know they'll be running a course when they get the people. So there's still options that don't involve multiple licence conversions :D

captain.weird
4th Nov 2011, 19:01
Yeah, AIS is a good one. I know the flight academy as well the airline. It is a big business over there. Positive people, really!

Some students of the flight academy are placed at the J32 fleet of the airline. They have just one plane so no big fleet at all haha! But I have heard that the J31 doesn't fly at all. Some students of the FA which have done the type rating with AIS went to Averse, because there were F/O job openings for pilots with a J31-2 type rating.

But the students of AIS, which are doing there J32 typerating, are going to OAA.. Maybe you can make a deal with the FA..