PDA

View Full Version : Pilots in Germany

mouphasa
1st Nov 2011, 20:21
Hi everyone!

Heard rumours that there is a shortage of pilots in Germany, especially in the regional airlines. Is this true? What are the chances for low time pilots...expat low time pilots?!

Thanks

Denti
1st Nov 2011, 20:34
No real shortage at all. We hired around 90 FO's this year and have around 3000 more applications on file currently. That said, there might be a certain short time shortage in Lufthansa Cityline and Germanwings, both part of the lufthansa group and therefore subject to the dreaded DLR test which is the main problem.

In any case, most if not all airlines require applicants to be able to speak german.

Transsonic2000
1st Nov 2011, 23:30
So, the old fairy-tale about pilot shortage is still alive - and probably will be for ever :E

zondaracer
2nd Nov 2011, 21:18
I heard that only 4% of those who apply at Lufthansa make it through the whole selection process. I donīt know how true that is, but I canīt imagine that it is far off.

mouphasa
4th Nov 2011, 10:54
What about other airlines than lufthansa? Especially regional ones, flying within germany or neighbour countries. Any idea of how the present sitiuation is?

Transsonic2000
6th Nov 2011, 18:39
What about other airlines than lufthansa? Especially regional ones, flying within germany or neighbour countries. Talking about the German language area - how about your German language skills? If you are fluent, just go ahead and apply - no reason to wait! Otherwise, forget it! Anyway, good luck!

sahni
8th Nov 2011, 00:24
@Denti

How would you rate the option for a German citizen (fluent in both German and English) who lives overseas and has an ICAO license to get hired by a German airline? I am aware that I would have to pass all 14 JAA ATPL papers, but apart from that, any other issues regarding flight time credit etc to expect?

Cheers!

Denti
8th Nov 2011, 06:49
After you have your JAR-FCL license and a ME-rating on it the same as for any other german pilot. Which is to say a pretty slim chance.

sahni
8th Nov 2011, 21:35
Thanks Denti for your feedback! Although I didn't like the 'slim chance' phrase, but it was sort of expected ;-)

Would you mind publishing the entry (hours) requirements for the FO's you have hired recently?

Cheers!

Denti
9th Nov 2011, 11:24
Entry hours: none. Our own inhouse students do an MPL training and bring about 80 hours real flight time as well as around 300 to 400 hours simulator time into the company. External candidates are a mix from guys right out of flight school to pretty experienced regional pilots.

sahni
9th Nov 2011, 19:21
@Denti: Thanks again for this information!

Now I have to decide if I really want to go through the "painful" license conversion process in order to obtain a JAA fATPL. But the prospect of working for a German airline might be worth the effort.

Cheers!