PDA

View Full Version : Personal value of aviation Masters degree.

BPSA
1st Nov 2011, 20:13
Hello guys,
I've seen and heard many discussion about the doubt of getting a Masters Degree in aviation.
Many people will talk about how it will impact the person's chances of getting a job and all that. However, I'd like to know from the ones that completed their Masters Degree how they feel about it in a personal way.
To be more specific, I am looking into the ERAU Master of Aeronautical Science with the Managment aerea of concentration. I am a Citation X pilot with a Bachelor degree from ERAU and will not be looking for a new job or anything, I just feel that after 8 years out of school it could be good to refresh and gain knowledge by getting that degree.
So, from you guys that have done that, what do you think?

Trolle
4th Nov 2011, 08:53
Many people will talk about how it will impact the person's chances of getting a job and all that.

How could furthering one's education negatively impact chances of a job? I think those people that are saying this may have taken a Master's degree and are annoyed that their airline did not recognize their achievement.

I have a Master and PhD within aviation and management; that is, no engineering stuff. No airline has ever regarded my further education negatively.

If you are already on the Citation and can do your flying without disturbance while studying at school then go for it. One day you may be able to take on additional responsibilities with your new education. If you are doing it simply to better yourself then don't worry what others may think.

I currently work at a university so I am a little biased when it comes to recommending higher education. Having another degree never hurt anyone, and you never know when it may come in handy in the future; that job in the front of the plane may not last forever...as I found out.

BPSA
5th Nov 2011, 23:52
Thank you Trolle.