PDA

View Full Version : SMS loosing characters

Rwy in Sight
1st Nov 2011, 14:49
I am trying texting someone and the counter on my Nokia mobile drops from 160 (available characters for the message) to just 60 or somenthing. I think that instead of sending one message of 100 charcters I may be sending two one with 60 and one with 50 characters.

Anyone know how I can correct it?

Rwy in Sight

mixture
1st Nov 2011, 16:12
Sounds like your Nokia is a rather old-school model ?

If that's the case, then it's expected functionality. Older models always split out the message, newer models still split the message, but the concatenation happens behind the scenes and so is not noticeable to either sender or recipient.

Message concatenation gives you a maximum message length of roughly 40800 chars (255 x 160) due to the hex tracking having an upper bound of FF.

SpringHeeledJack
1st Nov 2011, 18:25
concatenation

Bravo mr mixture for delivering to me (at least) a word never before seen, nor heard :8

SHJ

Spurlash2
1st Nov 2011, 19:36
...have a thing for spreadsheets and formulas; and so I give you: CONCATENATE (http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel-help/concatenate-HP005209020.aspx)

mixture
1st Nov 2011, 19:55
SpringHeeledJack,

Pleasure. Although I've yet to decide if I will attempt to continue to try to sneak in words that you've not seen or heard in future posts.... :E

If you're Linux inclined, the concatenation (cat) command line tool is one that's handy to know about.

Rwy in Sight
1st Nov 2011, 20:44
mixture,

Thanks for your answer. My mobile it is a two year old 5230. I can't believe it is that old.
I am concerned if for a message of 100 characters I am charged for one or two messages.

Maybe Time for a shop visit.

Rwy in Sight

mixture
1st Nov 2011, 22:05
Hi,

The 5320 should be fine at only two years old I would have thought, so it's probably just a setting of some description that got changed somehow.

Rwy in Sight
9th Nov 2011, 20:34
I visited the shop where I bought my mobile and the problem rapidly corrected.

On NOKIA mobiles there is a setting regarding character encoding which should be set to limited rather than full. In full the number goes down very fast but in "limited" the full 160 characters are usable.

Rwy in Sight

Ancient Observer
10th Nov 2011, 14:55
Mr Mixture.

Please - no more long words. I can deal with long words in Philosophy and Sociology, but IT is difficult enough with plain words. Don't forget, many of us have only just learnt the difference between a kilobyte and a gigabyte. (and SWMBO still doesn't understand)

mixture
10th Nov 2011, 17:40
Ancient Observer,

No worries. Understood. :cool: