PDA

View Full Version : Exactly how do you use reverse thrust technique on the 737

A37575
31st Oct 2011, 11:17
The FCTM states:
Maintain reverse thrust as required, up to maximum, until the airspeed approaches 60 knots. At this point start reducing the reverse thrust so that the reverse thrust levers are moving down at a rate commensurate with the deceleration rate of the airplane. The thrust levers should be positioned to reverse idle by taxi speed, then full down after the engines have decelerated to idle....

A. Does that mean you very slowly move the reverse thrust levers down to the reverse idle detent watching the rate of airspeed decay as the aircraft itself is slowing down?

OR

B. Do you move the reverse thrust levers directly to idle reverse detent quickly so that by the time the N1 has rolled back from say 88 percent N1 (full reverse in some variants of 737) to idle reverse of 23 percent N1, the aircraft would have reached taxi speed.

Reason for the question is that some pilots move the reverse levers down so slowly after 60 knots that they are then forced to cancel reverse altogether as N1 passes say 50 percent when either the autobrakes or manual braking has reduced the airspeed so rapidly they are in danger of having significant high N1 as the aircraft stops.

It takes around 12 seconds for the engines to run down from 88 percent N1 in reverse to 23 percent N1 in reverse if the reverse levers are moved promptly (two seconds) to the reverse idle detent.

BOAC
31st Oct 2011, 13:08
The answer is 'A' (without the 'slowly) and the clue is in your post

reverse thrust levers are moving down at a rate commensurate with the deceleration rate of the airplaneie to achieve idle as taxi speed is reached (or before) and then cancelled when no longer needed. It is not difficult.

A37575
2nd Nov 2011, 11:26
Thanks BOAC. My post was too vague and poorly worded. I can visualise the described actions but found it difficult to put into words. It is quite surprising (to me, anyway) to see how long it takes for the N1 to roll back from full reverse to idle reverse. It is that observation in the simulator which leads me to think the reverse levers should be moved swiftly to the idle detent rather than 'inch' them downwards and ideally this should result in reaching idle reverse of 23 percent N1 by the time the aircraft has slowed to taxi speed.
All very trivial I guess.

BOAC
2nd Nov 2011, 11:30
The problem with moving 'swiftly' (and I have seen it happen) is that reverse can be cancelled prematurely by going through 'the gate'. In a measured, planned decel there is (should be!) no need to do anything 'quickly', especially if autobrake is in use.