PDA

View Full Version : Recovering data from a duff disk

vancouv
30th Oct 2011, 17:31
A colleague of mine has a laptop where the disk seems to have stopped working - at startup it says no disk found. I'm going to try accessing it with an external harness, just in case there's something wrong with the controller type bits in the laptop, but I suspect it won't play ball.

My question is are there people who might be able to repair the disk? In case the motor itself has failed, for example. And if not, what sort of cost is it likely to be to attempt to recover it? I apprecite that if the heads have crashed it may be impossible anyway.

And no he hasn't got a backup :ugh:

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

mixture
30th Oct 2011, 17:43
My question is are there people who might be able to repair the disk? In case the motor itself has failed, for example. And if not, what sort of cost is it likely to be to attempt to recover it?

Yes there are people who can recover data.

How big is the disk ? Do you know what volume data you're after and it's location in the directory structure, or do you just want a general fishing expedition to catch as much as you can ?

Sending it somewhere decent and trustworthy you will be looking at a minimum sum in four figure denomination.

If it's a business drive, your business insurance might cover the cost. But then they might not take to well to the idea that no attempt has been made to even do modest backups.

I apprecite that if the heads have crashed it may be impossible anyway.

Recoveries have been known from drives that have been wilfully put in a fire ... amongst other things.... so never say never until you've given it a go.

jimtherev
30th Oct 2011, 18:15
Similar crisis here with my desktop. Turned out that the hard disks (yes, two of 'em) were substantially undamaged, 'twas the power supply. Long story short, bought a new s/h computer and plugged them in via a USB caddy, and as far as I've discovered so far, no data lost.

Reinstalling the Sware on my new machine (where licences allow) is going to be a PITA, but phew!

WorstGW
31st Oct 2011, 07:50
Something that I remembered reading which worked when I had a HDD die on me 18 months ago with the same symptoms: sometimes cooling the HDD will let it be coaxed into working again for a limited time - it depends on the reason for the failure, obviously. So I put the laptop in a plastic bag and left it in the fridge (not the deepfreeze!) overnight. Rather to my surprise, the next day it booted and ran long enough to copy the important stuff to a USB stick before the HD went AWOL again, this time permanently.

Mike-Bracknell
31st Oct 2011, 14:22
One of the easiest things to do with hard drives (if you have 2 identical drives) is to swap the PCB from a working one to a failed one, as it's sometimes the circuitry that's fried rather than the drive mechanics itself. (at least i've had one instance of that working to an otherwise knackered drive).

As regards data recovery from drives... Hard Drive Data From Space Shuttle Columbia Recovered - Storage - Disaster recovery/business continuity - Informationweek (http://www.informationweek.com/news/storage/disaster_recovery/207602714)
:D

jimtherev
31st Oct 2011, 16:28
Unfortunately, not all of us (not even all Ppruners) have the resources of NASA or Kroll!

hellsbrink
31st Oct 2011, 17:46
Give us more info when you can.

Many people have a nasty habit of filling the disk up completely and then they wonder why it fails, that can be recoverable.

But, and this is a big BUT, if the drive is making "clicking" or "whining" noises when you stick it in the caddy then more drastic steps are needed as that means the drive is, or almost is, FUBAR'd. That is when you get an antistatic bag and stick the drive into your freezer for 15 mins. SOMETIMES, that is enough to get the drive working long enough to recover data from it. I don't agree with the "plastic bag and fridge overnight" method as that will introduce moisture to the drive and moisture can be as dangerous as static when you look at the circuit board on the drive. Plus, my method is faster. :E

Of course, decent data recovery software is a must and, if there is the slightest suspicion of there being a virus issue, so is a "clean" PC to connect to (as in, one that you can easily wipe out should a virus be passed from the dodgy drive to the main PC drive. I keep an old netbook for that purpose).

But I've never failed to get most of the data from a hard disk. It can take some time, as in days, but with the right software and patience (and, occasionally, a light "tap" from a hammer to free the heads. Rough as hell but that works too on a "dead" drive) you can recover the majority of things on the drive.

Oh, obviously, don't just select everything IF you get access to the drive. Windows and other programmes can be reinstalled on a new machine, you are looking at only getting stuff like the "documents and settings" folder and other data that is saved by programmes.

mixture
31st Oct 2011, 17:58
Unfortunately, not all of us (not even all Ppruners) have the resources of NASA or Kroll!

There was some chap who had a blog or YouTube channel who worked in the HD recovery business and put up a few ideas for people who want to try DIY stuff. If I can find the link, I'll post it.

No substitute for the professional jobs, of course, but if you like fiddling, it might keep you occupied even if chances of success are minimal if you've no prior experience.

Aah.. here we go.... Mr Scott Moulton from the aptly named MyHardDriveDied.com. Various presentations to be had on his website.

A A Gruntpuddock
1st Nov 2011, 16:21
I had a hard disk 'vanish' once. Checked with a partition managing program and it was 'inactive' (not sure if that is the correct term).

Set it back to 'active' and all was well. Never understood how that happened.

Might be worth booting with a partition manager on cd and checking the status of the drive.

vancouv
5th Nov 2011, 11:29
Tried the disk in a caddy and still no joy, also tried it in the freezer as per hellsbrink's suggestion. I've even tried tapping it with a hammer.

When the drive is powered up via the caddy, it makes a beeping noise - not clunks or graunches, it does this for about a minute, then stops, so it's obviously getting power OK.

Presumably the beeping is some sort of initialisation processing where it's internally detected that there's a problem.

Any other ideas?

hellsbrink
5th Nov 2011, 14:18
Last time I looked, there weren't any speakers on a hard disk so they don't "beep". Sounds more like something like a bearing has FUBAR'd so you're hearing that "squeak", though it sounds like a "beep".

Mr Optimistic
5th Nov 2011, 20:17
well I have just had to replace the hard drive on the son's HP envy after it was dropped. Annoyingly the c drive is 'corrupted and unreadable' and no amount of recovery disk attempts (windows, acronis, paragon) can shift it. Any ideas as the files must still be there. Isn't possible to get to a C: prompt for the recboot stuff.

hellsbrink
6th Nov 2011, 01:27
Tried using a Linux live cd, Mr Optimistic? You can boot directly from that into whatever Linux you opt for and then you MIGHT be able to see the drive properly. I'm sure others here can advise you better regarding Linux........

Guest 112233
6th Nov 2011, 22:18
I also have several HD's run from USB caddies, one of them a Seagate PATA 2.5" drive does bleep in distress, if it does not have an additional USB power connection plugged in.

Edit:[You will need a connector with one connection for the hard drive & power + data connector USB at the computer end, they are often supplied with the caddy.]

Could this be the cause of the bleeps ?

CAT III

vancouv
7th Nov 2011, 11:49
Fair point about the speakers, but this is definitely a beep and not any kind of mechanical noise - far too regular.

CATIII - I'm using a dual cable already, but as the drive stopped working when it was still in the laptop I think it's something internal.

Looks like taking it part to see if I can free the heads is about the last option left.

M.Mouse
7th Nov 2011, 18:08
Looks like taking it part to see if I can free the heads is about the last option left.

I am not sure if you have ever looked inside a hard drive but the internal head mechanism is a high precision piece of kit. I would be extremely surprised if you could make the heads read properly again assuming that is the problem in the first place.

Also you risk making the data totally irrecoverable should you decide to use a professional data recovery company.

mixture
7th Nov 2011, 19:04
To give you an idea.....

Ul97jWv2PKY