PDA

View Full Version : SQLDUMPER needs reloading

Headstone
30th Oct 2011, 16:48
A couple of days ago when I turned on my computer I got a message saying that SQLDUMPER library is corrupt and needs uninstalling and reloading. The only effect I noticed until today was that when I send anything to my external hard drive, such as a folder of photos, is that instead of overwriting the folder that is there it places a new folder with the same name plus the date I did it. Also I have just tried to upload more music to my I-pod thingy and it comes up with an install wizard which searches for a bit then says it can't recognise the device. On my tool bar I get a balloon saying new device installed but cant do anything with it.

As I'm a computer illiterate can I easily do what is required?

Mike-Bracknell
30th Oct 2011, 17:16
Probably not easily, no.

SQLDumper is basically a process that dumps SQL errors when Microsoft SQL Server crashes. As you're a computer illiterate I wouldn't know why you would need SQL Server installed on a desktop machine in the first place unless it was installed as part of some 3rd party software you have. The solution to this one is to uninstall and reinstall SQL Server, however I don't think this is the cause, it's more likely just a symptom.

More worrying is the inability to detect and install plug&play devices such as your iPod, and to write to your external hard drive.

I would suggest you take the PC to someone who knows what they're doing, as this is unlikely to be easily troubleshot in a forum unless someone else has come across this sequence of issues before and knows what to do straight away. Any amateur fumbling when trying to follow a disorganised set of replies from people here is likely to make things worse rather than better.

It might be something easy to fix, but then again it might be that you'd be better off with a format and rebuild. You won't know this until you get someone sat at it who knows what to look for and has enough time to troubleshoot.

HTH.
Mike.

green granite
30th Oct 2011, 17:20
Agreed, sounds as though you might have some interesting file corruptions.

Headstone
1st Nov 2011, 20:06
Thanks for the reply chaps and writing this reply on the wife's laptop.
Yesterday took the machine to the computer shop where it was originally put together for me. Expert there can shed no light on how on earth the SQL whatever got there or what it is doing apart from her saying it is a data logging thingy.
She can find nothing specifically wrong other than age - bit like me really - and is doing some work on it to improve speed and reload everything so hopefully all OK and will pick up Thursday. She did offer a relacement machine but will soldier on with the old one for a bit

H

cdtaylor_nats
1st Nov 2011, 22:10
Try reading this set of comments

SQL Dumper error (http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/sqldatabaseengine/thread/b1a5600c-8fd2-4f49-a3e7-8b058e2ce09b/)

It appears to be an effect caused by MS Office trial versions or by SOPHOS anti-virus.