PDA

View Full Version : Whats a good flashlite?

tonee88
30th Oct 2011, 13:16
Hi all,

I'm training on a C172 at the moment and will be starting night flying. I've had a look at some online stores and there's a lot of flashlights to choose from. However I would like to invest into something that will last through my training then GA jobs to airlines.

What are your recommendations?

Cheers
Tony

sycamore
30th Oct 2011, 13:25
Maglites...plus spare bulbs/batteries.

tonee88
30th Oct 2011, 13:28
I was going to get the XL200 then I found out it doesn't come with a lanyard nor holes/rings for a lanyard.

lochias
30th Oct 2011, 13:35
search on ebay for the following

1-TrustFire TR-801 Cree (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=trustfire%2Bcree%2B801&source=web&cd=1&sqi=2&ved=0CCcQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dealextreme.com%2Fp%2Ftrustfire-tr-801-cree-q5-wc-230-lumen-led-flashlight-1-18650-13095&ei=4k-tTsbNAsbu-gbRxoDdDw&usg=AFQjCNHkV-qxUOGO6vXpis0yfMC77ywTSw)
2-ultrafire 18650 4000mah 2 batteries black
3-ultrafire wf-139 charger
total about 45 euros

or the little bit expensive alternative
replace the flashhlight to
trustfire sst-80 which cost around 60GBP it self and 2 more batteries.

i have this 2 for me and well satisfied.

if you dont like my saggestions then go for maglight with led converion which will cost about 100 GBP

buying the 18650 batteries wil save you big dollars as you can recharge them over and over again

fleecy
30th Oct 2011, 13:42
Try this if you can get one:

Silverpoint - Extreme Pro EX2 LED Torch (http://www.netpcdirect.co.uk/professional-led-torches/silverpoint-extreme-pro-ex2-torch.html)

I bought one and would buy another. Compact and cannot be switched on accidentally. Incredible bright light.

supermoix
30th Oct 2011, 13:50
For a 172 and light airplane work get the Mini Maglite LED flashlight, the one that uses two AA batteries, no way you can go wrong with it. It's made from aluminum, weights a little more than the plastic ones but the durability is guaranteed.

It also have a "low power setting" that works wonders in a low lighted cockpit at night for chart reading.

gorter
30th Oct 2011, 14:11
Personally I bought a LED head torch from a camping shop with a flip up red filter. Great for night flying when I did my night rating (free hands) very bright for my walk around now I'm in the airlines (if I remember its in my bag and don't just use the a/c torch to the eternal chagrin of the engineers). Finally I have to read at night to go to sleep and the hands free red filter means mrs and baby g can sleep undisturbed.

Mine's a petzl tikka. But any should do as long as it has the red flip up filter.

FlyboyUK
30th Oct 2011, 14:12
I've had an LED Lenser since my maglight broke. Best torch I've ever had by far.

tonee88
30th Oct 2011, 14:22
The above suggestions are good, however the school requires a shockproof feature.
I actually have a head lamp that I use to work on my car at night, I could give that a try and see what my instructor says.

Trustfire $12.00 230lm is very good value, however wouldn't that amount of light affect your night vision?

dixi188
30th Oct 2011, 15:28
LED Lenser P7!

Best flashlight I've ever had.

About 40 GBP on Ebay.

STBYRUD
30th Oct 2011, 15:30
Fenix PD30. Compact, built like a tank, waterproof, awesome. Brighter than the 737 turnoff lights on the highest setting.

Daysleeper
30th Oct 2011, 15:34
Maplins do a 210 lumen led torch (flashlight) for about £25 (3 or 4 "c" cells) I think, other pilot had one last week, just about melted the paint off the aircraft on the walkround it was that bright.

Just got an LED Lenser, 4XAA cells in a cluster shape so short and fat (no jokes now!) V good, not tried it out flying yet.

I've just been using a hillwalking type 3 led headlamp for flying for the last year or so, not really enough light for airline walkround but perfect for GA and in-cockpit use. I just get the other guy to do the walkround :E

That said... the local bargain shop had some AAA battery 9LED ones for about £3. Probably more use in the flightdeck than the lenser which is better than most GA landing lights!

(this is all UK but I'm sure the same sorts of things are available elsewhere)

IFixPlanes
30th Oct 2011, 15:51
LED Lenser P7!

Best flashlight I've ever had.
I agree absolutly. :ok:
It is worth every penny.

Take a look at their website! (http://www.zweibrueder.com/ENG/produkte/html_highperformance/html_Pserie/p7.php?id=p7)

tonee88
30th Oct 2011, 16:00
I like the sound of LED LENSER P7 and Fenis PD30

Denti
30th Oct 2011, 16:33
A nice line maintenance engineer in stockholm once lent me his LED Lenser P7 for my walk around. Right after i returned home i bought my own one and it has been in my flight kit ever since. Great piece of equipment for an outside check, way too bright for use inside the flight deck though, even on the low setting. One downside though, it eats through batteries if you use it a lot.

tonker
30th Oct 2011, 16:40
LED Lenser P7. Can even see the top of the fin on a 737 clearly.

grounded27
30th Oct 2011, 18:04
If you want durability and rechargable, the standard streamlight stinger is a winner. Batteries tend to last 2 hrs and about 5 years duty time. Might be more light than you need. Though I just picked up a headlamp, single led allmost as bright but goes through a lot of aaa batteries on full power. Company pays for the batteries and I love it, only paid 10 bucks. These made in china light emitting diodes rock for the price.

Flightmech
30th Oct 2011, 18:13
LED Lenser P7 - (I'll raise tonker) clearly see top of the fin on both the MD-11and 777 with this beast:ok:

grounded27
30th Oct 2011, 20:01
I was looking at streamlight products and if you don't mind spending the cash, this light has excellent performance. It should last you a decade at least with minimal maintenance other than placing on a charger "probably once a week" on GA aircraft. Would even be sufficient to see the large purple tails flightmech and myself do.

Strion® Series - Strion® | Streamlight (http://www.streamlight.com/product/product.aspx?pid=3)

Morrisman1
30th Oct 2011, 21:05
Try find one which when you turn it on, it turns to its lowest setting. That way if you just need a little light you dont end up stuffing your night vision. A red filter is fantastic so try find some which have that available.

I prefer fenix lights, they are awesome quality and the model I got for night flying fits my personal requirement of:
~ push button
~ multiple brightness but always starting at lowest
~ AA battery
~ red filter available
~ lanyard hole so it doesnt go missing in the cockpit

remember you don't need a heap of power (50 lumen is plenty, most of the time I use mine on the 9 lumen setting), so buy one that works well for you rather than what is brighter

HPbleed
31st Oct 2011, 10:24
I use a Tescos (supermarket here in the UK) own brand £3 LED torch. I had a lenser and left it in the flight deck and it disappeared. So I'll never use an expensive torch at work again. This Tescos one is actually very good value for money. If you need red-light you can colour the lens with an OHP pen or whiteboard pen.

Scallywag
31st Oct 2011, 10:49
LED Lenser P7 is superb for walk round/outdoor use. I got this blister pack which includes the smaller P3 which is good for cockpit use, checking ice probe etc and clips in shirt pocket. P7 is way too bright in cockpit even on low setting. May be cheaper elsewhere now but was discounted when I got it last year.

P7 Twin Pack with P3 by LED Lenser for £59.99 (http://www.ellis-brigham.com/torches-and-headlamps/led-lenser/223035/p7-twin-pack-with-p3)

Edit: Sorry, just saw you're from Oz, don't think they have a branch down under. Scally

A-3TWENTY
31st Oct 2011, 12:59
Chinatown.

Small, with led , 2 batteries , 5 euros.

The best.

A320

Desert185
31st Oct 2011, 16:59
I have used a Surefire E2D Defender for years. Bright enough to preflight a large aircraft, but way too bright for the cockpit. It's also good for walking around town on a layover.

For a 172, which is what the OP is flying, I have a Coleman MAX. LED, red, white and green light. I like the green for night flight in the cockpit/simulator and the white provides enough light for preflighting said 172. It also has a lanyard feature, which is handy.

Aynayda Pizaqvick
31st Oct 2011, 17:15
I have a streamlight ProTac and I am very pleased with it. It never leaves my flying suit pocket and is perfect for walk arounds. They have a lot of products on their website so I am sure you will find exactly what you are looking for on there. Having owned various brands of torches, including a couple of Surefires I now wouldn't buy anything else as they match the surefures on quality and light yet are a fraction of the price and the majority use 'normal' batteries rather than the rather expensive lithium batteries.
Definitely worth a look.

seneca50
31st Oct 2011, 23:58
I use a LED Lensor P7 as used by many people. Superb torch for walk around the Airbus with superb single handed beam adjustment and wrist strap. Quality is second to none, made in Germany and great compact size. Amazon doing it for £32 so add it to your christmas list.

tonee88
1st Nov 2011, 05:49
Thanks for all your valuable inputs. I decided to use something cheap for now as I'm still a student. Bought an imitation of the Fenix PD30 with 400Lm for 5AUD. I'll use that for my walk arounds and a small head torch for the cockpit.

:ok:

IFixPlanes
1st Nov 2011, 18:12
You ask for a "good flashlite". You want to "invest into something that will last through my training then GA jobs to airlines".
And than, after several good hints, you buy "something cheap for now as I'm still a student". :ugh:
Welcome to my ignore list... :mad:

gorter
1st Nov 2011, 22:28
Actually think he made a sensible decision. A top of the range powerful led torch is ott for a 172. A decent powerful torch may be more applicable later in career but not now. The correct tool for the job in hand.

Or as Oscar Wilde said

“The only thing to do with good advice is to pass it on. It is never of any use to oneself.”

tonee88
1st Nov 2011, 23:41
Correct, I came here for advise for a flashlight expecting everyone to tell me to buy branded expensive products. Besides from the LED Lenser P7 and other branded products, majority here use cheap Chinese alternatives. So I've learnt that nit everything in aviation has to be expensive and top of the range.

So I decided to get something cheap for now based on everyone's inputs thats more practical for my use. The P7 is a good quality product however I'm not really going to use it on a C172 unless I'm going to pretend to walk around the citation.

However do continue to list more products and recommendations for future flashlight hunters.

Thanks!

grounded27
2nd Nov 2011, 00:04
Ahh Chinese LED's will be very reliable, just cost more in the long run in batteries. Foolish decision as compared to a quality rechargeable over the long run as price goes.