PDA

View Full Version : Domain Names

AlphaFoxtrot
30th Oct 2011, 11:38
Hello,

I'm just looking for some quick (and not too technical) advice on domain names.

Why is it a 'problem' to use a .uk.com domain name for a UK based company, rather than .co.uk or .com.

I know that .com is a gTLD (Generic Top-Level Domain), and .co.uk is a Country Code Top-Level Domain...
I also know that .com is a first-level domain, .uk is the second-level domain.
However, I don't know why it's not good to combine .uk & .com in the same domain - does it cause some kind of issues or something??

Thanks in advance,

AF :)

Saab Dastard
30th Oct 2011, 12:11
There is no technical problem with .uk.com - the only "problem" might be in terms of perception, as it's neither nnnnnn.com or nnnnnnn.co.uk, which are the domains most people associate with UK businesses (leaving .net and .org aside).

I think that the whole TLD structure has been a dog's breakfast from day one, with the USA not being country-specific like everyone else (OK, they built the original system!), then everyone else using non-country-specific TLDs anyway - and the introduction of all sorts of additional TLDs has just made it messier.

Embrace the free-for-all and good luck to you!

SD

Gertrude the Wombat
30th Oct 2011, 12:15
As said, it's just image.

To some (but not all) people ".uk.com" makes you look like a bit you don't know what you're doing, that's all. If you don't care about such people then no problem.

mixture
30th Oct 2011, 13:00
As said, it's just image.

No, it's not. See below.

Why is it a 'problem' to use a .uk.com domain name for a UK based company, rather than .co.uk or .com.

In a nutshell.

UK.COM is not a TLD.

UK.COM is a .COM domain name owned by Centralnic (amongst other similar ones). So when you acquire a UK.COM domain name, you are effectively obtaining rights to use a sub-domain of UK.COM.

In contrast, where you to obtain a .COM,.UK etc. domain name, then you are obtaining rights to use a name from an ICANN registry (other other similar independent establishment such as Nominet for the UK).

Doing the latter rather than the former, you'll likely find the terms & conditions are fairer (particularly in the case of .UK Nominet based names.... they do a great job of running the UK registry !).

AlphaFoxtrot
30th Oct 2011, 13:17
Firstly - many thanks to those who have replied, I really do appreciate it! :)

I do agree that .uk.com can affect image, however may not be the full reason as to the 'problems' presented.

Mixture:
When you mention effectively paying for the 'rights' between different levels of domain, what can the implications of this be?

If you have the rights to either a top-level (from the ICANN registry) or a sub-level...what are the differences? Is it something like if you buy a sub-level and there's an issue...can a site simply be wiped from existance rather than buying a .com/ .uk site where it cannot?

You can probably tell I have less than no idea about this, but I'm very interested to find out the basics.

Thanks again, much appreciated,

AF :)

Bushfiva
30th Oct 2011, 13:59
To be brutal, if you set up a website as something.uk.com, you will appear to be very Mickey Mouse. You simply shouldn't do it.

mixture
30th Oct 2011, 14:02
AlphaFoxtrot,

Well, with UK.COM, Centralnic's holding of UK.COM itself is subject to ICANN guidelines.

However the process of issuing subdomains under UK.COM is subject to whatever commercial and legal terms that Centralnic dreams up.

This means, for example, that you don't have access, for example, to ICANN's established dispute resolution policy (e.g. used if you fall into trademark rights issues on your choice of name).

Some might also argue that UK.COM names are somewhat overpriced given that for a predominantly automated process where no fees are due to higher level entities such as ICANN, the RRP is £32.50/year.

Is it something like if you buy a sub-level and there's an issue...can a site simply be wiped from existance rather than buying a .com/ .uk site where it cannot?

Well, I'm sure some investor would happily snap up what Centralnic left behind in the event that anything happen to them. I guess you could speculate it might not be as much of a tidy transition.

Mike-Bracknell
30th Oct 2011, 14:33
We own hundreds of domains, and would never buy a .uk.com

It's the same as registering your own domain and then hawking it around unsuspecting customers.