PDA

View Full Version : Solution for Gillard to save face re Qantas

MACH082
30th Oct 2011, 08:27
Buy it.

Sack the board. Sort out the issues with staff.

The money is in the bank to recoup the investment and the share price is bloody cheap.

Once it's all sorted out, refloat it.

Gillard wins and saves a public backlash. The union movement (labor) is not crushed and the board will leave for 'health reasons'

Simple.

1a sound asleep
30th Oct 2011, 08:29
One major problem. It is not for sale

MACH082
30th Oct 2011, 08:32
Wouldn't take much to launch a takeover bid.

APA did it.......

Or put an emergency bill in parliament for compulsory purchase.

Greens would support it as would the independents and it would take a brave Abbott to go against it if it's to 'save' staff and the traveling public.

FlexibleResponse
30th Oct 2011, 08:39
The Government as a 51% shareholder should be able to sack the Chairman of the board or CEO?

rh200
30th Oct 2011, 08:41
Don't know if there's much stomach in the government to purchase and run an airline.

Particular private companys don't like to compete against government funded entity's, not a fare playing field. Then you have to unload it again and the investors will still see the same old problems.

cart_elevator
30th Oct 2011, 08:44
Ah, flexible response:

The Australian government is not an investor in Qantas, you must be thinking of another airline that has government investors ;)

ALAEA Fed Sec
30th Oct 2011, 08:45
One major problem. It is not for sale

Ever heard of the stock exchange?

MACH082
30th Oct 2011, 08:48
Qantas compete against international airlines which are government owned and funded.

Whatever the outcome JB just got his 20% business traveller market share by default :p

I bet there are a few back slaps going on in the Virgin board room right now!

Shed Dog Tosser
30th Oct 2011, 08:51
Steve,

Well done !!!!, keep up the good work.

Slippery_Pete
30th Oct 2011, 08:55
I bet there are a few back slaps going on in the Virgin board room right now!

I'm not so sure. He might have a slight grin to himself in private, but I don't think Borghetti would condone that sort of behaviour.

He seems to concentrate more than AJ on engaging his staff and building a solid airline, and less on self-congratulatory board room m&asturbation.