PDA

View Full Version : Lobby your Federal Parliamentarians now!

flyingfox
30th Oct 2011, 02:21
I am not a Qantas pilot, but many of the issues affecting Qantas apply to the whole aviation industry within Australia. The problems lie mainly in the 'open skies' policy of all Australian Federal Governments for many years, along with the high Australian Dollar, globalisation and Australia's unyielding commitment to free trade. From an industrial point of view, it is worth noting that some sectors of our community are of the view that globalisation of their own workplace, including efficiency gains and competitive pricing is not required of themselves. For them it should only apply to those working at the coalface in manufacturing or select service industries. In the modern Australia, company CEO's, company directors, dentists, lawyers, politicians, bankers, financiers and many others do not allow their own conditions to be subject to the pressures of these global financial forces. It seems that only employees at a certain level are required to be subject to the outcomes of free trade and international competition.
Australian tourists are happy to head off to overseas destinations with their high value Australian dollar but are increasingly choosing to fly with cheaper Asian and Middle Eastern airlines. None of this expenditure helps to increase our ownership of Australian domestic airline infrastructure or to encourage people to 'holiday at home'. This is all seemingly fair if we are willing to sacrifice our own airlines, manufacturing industries, local internal tourism and the conditions Australia should be able to afford all of its citizens without discrimination. Our unfettered focus on free trade has seen so much of our industry and endeavours exported to foreign lands. Countries like the UAE are able to carry passenger numbers way in excess of the numbers who would be travelling to their own cities and encourages them to use large aircraft with economies of scale which would not be justified for their own markets. They can operate without paying taxes to their state of origin. Is this really free trade?
The breathtaking front of Alan Joyce to increase his own salary by 70 percent at a time when he is requiring restraint from his lower order staff, only goes to show the hypocrisy of of his and other corporate leaders positions. The 'do as I say, not as I do' mentality is alive and well. He had any number of reasons to justify his own remuneration increase when interviewed this morning. Their was not the slightest doubt in his mind of his own financial worthiness! We presently have young people around the world gathering in big cities to protest the greed and self indulgence of the corporations and institutions which govern their lives. I believe that we need to undertake a fundamental review of the directions we are taking in Australia.
Corporate strategies match the determinations of government policy by attempting to drive down Australian conditions and pay rates to the 'Asian' floor price. Remember our electronics, textile and manufacturing industries? I've seen them vanish at an ever increasing rate since the early sixties. We can't continue to give everything away, including our technologies and know-how to the cheapest overseas cost base while still expecting Australians to have an 'Australian dream'. Such policies also play into the hands of the globalised corporate world which is based on ever expanding consumption rates in a resources stretched world. They want resources from those countries that have them, but only the labour of the cheapest bidder. We can be a 'mine site' under this system, but not a manufacturer unless we conceed to the lowest pay rates on offer world wide. Protectionism has become a dirty word, but in a world where even the great capatlist nation of the USA has protectionist policies, why are we so liberal with our markets?
If you have views on the current Qantas dispute and how aviation in Australia is being downgraded to the compete with the lowest foreign costings, now is the time to lobby your own Federal member and the Federal Ministers who determine our domestic policies. I urge you to get typing now!

4Greens
30th Oct 2011, 10:20
A good start would be to reinstate a Minister of Aviation.

Metro man
30th Oct 2011, 11:44
In other words you want everyone to go back to paying inflated airfares so you can maintain your lifestyle ?

Think of all the extra people who visit Australia each year because of affordable travel and all the Australians who can holiday overseas.

If you want to protect inefficient industries Aussies would only be able to drive $60 000 XF Falcons and be paying $6000 for an economy class Sydney -London return ticket.

Throwing up barriers to free trade has been tried in the communist world and look where that got them, East Germans driving Trabants while West Germans drove Mercs.

Qantas needs to deliver a quality product so that people CHOOSE to pay the premium it needs to charge because of its higher costs. At the moment that isn't happening. International is living beyond its means and just like Greece the party has to come to an end.

The cost of running the international business have to be less than what comes in unless someone is willing to make up the difference. Many other airlines are in the same boat, Air India and Alitalia are far worse off.

You work for a company that as a result of previous poor business decisions and a reluctance to change is now going down the drain, you have my sympathy but please don't expect any money from the rest of us.

flyingfox
30th Oct 2011, 12:23
There is no requirment to go back to the days of the two airline policy + Qantas. Nor is there any reason to pay excesive airfares. The point is to level the playing field in order to keep some capacity in aviation, manufacturing and skills within Australia. Our companies operate under heavy rates of taxation and in intense competition due to a lack of restraint on foreign 'dumping' in every area of our economy. The way to preserve Australian jobs, infrastucture and skills is to ease the cost burdens on Australian industry caused by government policy. As for aviation, if pilots and engineers want to see Australian routes being predominently crewed and maintained by locals, then the government needs to control both the capacity granted to foreign carriers and the cost burden imposed on the airlines by taxation. Airport charges from privatised airports, , company tax, regulatory costs, fuel taxes, the 'user pays' policy and payroll tax all compound to make a difficult operating environment for local carriers. Other countries provide infrastructure, capacity control and regulation costs appropriate to preserving their national airlines. We need our politicians to treat our airlines and other industries in a similar way.

Xcel
30th Oct 2011, 13:54
And you reckon increasing the cost of fuel through a carbon tax will make them more competitive? Don't see emirates or eti had paying for fuel. Don't see singapore or Cathay with a company tax rate above 15%. all of those airlines are ultra competitive on price and service. Pay premiums for employees. Oh and have governments with a keen interest in their success'...
But that's ok we will abolish cabotage and have free skies for everyone...
It's the governments FWA failing. Their qantas sales act legislation failing.
It's corporate terrorism holding Australia to ransom. And this is just the tip of the iceberg. The boundaries will shift and shift.
We should be lobbying our parliament. This is partly their mess. If everyone wants an outcome in the best interests of qantas - take a pay freeze... Starting with management. Then a national fuel hedge fund for Australian airlines based here. We're an island nation ffs, ships and planes are kinda important infrastructure to be outsourced...
Sure setup in Asia. Then cancel flying here. Then what? If it ail goes to hell in a hand basket and heaven forbid another war or catastrophe takes place which requires concentrated air travel do you think eti had will come to the rescue?
I'd outsource our government before outsourcing our flying!

Still can't get over pprunes auto edit of e t I h a d to etihad

gobbledock
30th Oct 2011, 22:24
The only lobbying I would do is to lob a handful of steaming **** into the faces of our Politicians. They are worthy of nothing more or nothing less.

chimbu warrior
30th Oct 2011, 23:49
Got an email address for your local member?

Know his mobile number?

Home address?

If not, you can always track them down at the Qantas Chairman's Lounge...............!

NIGELINOZ
31st Oct 2011, 01:27
Got an email address for your local member?

Know his mobile number?

Home address?

If not, you can always track them down at the Qantas Chairman's Lounge...............!

After his 'Breach of faith with the Government' comment on Saturday I suspect Mr Albanese may be waiting a little while before his next CL invitation !;)
Cheers
N'oz