PDA

View Full Version : UK's first Airborne fire ranger

newfieboy
30th Oct 2011, 00:08
Just stumbled across this article, about the UK's first helicopter firefighter!.....looks like a 500E model to me. Having aprox 2000hrs on E's and Notar I think the 'ton of water a minute' quoted is a little on the highside. But hey what do I know I only do 250,000 hectare campaign fires with maybe 100+ aircraft and tanker groups in support...:ugh:

Nice idea though, but I am a little hesitant to be applying for an Initial Attack or Rap Attack job in Blighty.....daily mins would have to be 8hrs...:D and I think we could get rid of the Red alert status on Manup. What you figure Gordy......All tongue in cheek guys....Newfie....:D:ok:

Jeremy Paxton, owner of the Lower Mill Estate at Cotswold Water Park, has trained as the UK's first airborne fire ranger (http://www.wiltsglosstandard.co.uk/news/cotswolds/9332028.UK_s_first_airborne_fire_ranger_takes_to_the_skies/)

A LANDOWNER has taken his passion for the environment to the next level – by training as the UK’s first airborne fire ranger.

Jeremy Paxton owns the Lower Mill Estate at Cotswold Water Park and trained for the qualification after a devastating fire destroyed a £750,000 home at the Lakes by yoo development last year.

He is now qualified to pilot a helicopter equipped with fire fighting equipment to protect the estate’s 4,000 species of wildlife spread across 650 acres.

Mr Paxton said he was pleased to be able to put his interest in helicopters to good use.

“Tackling a wildfire with beaters and traditional fire-hoses is often not effective as, quite apart from anything else, getting close enough is impossible,” he said.

“The great advantage from the air is that it’s possible to drop a ton of water every minute with pinpoint accuracy and so it’s an unequalled tool in the battle against such habitat destroying fires.”

Mr Paxton has also offered his services as an airborne ranger to Gloucestershire Fire and Rescue Service (GFRS).

Derek Cross from GFRS said: "This is an interesting idea and we will be contacting Mr Paxton to find out more about his offer and how he could help the fire service."

Gordy
30th Oct 2011, 05:48
Tis kinda funny-----I saw pictures of them fighting a forest fire in full turnout gear.....

Bravo73
30th Oct 2011, 08:58
I thought that name sounded familiar:

http://www.pprune.org/rotorheads/281458-shirley-bassey-night-flying-uk.html

Agaricus bisporus
30th Oct 2011, 10:16
Of course, no one's ever had or used Bambi buckets in the UK before. How silly of me to think otherwise.
:ugh:

SilsoeSid
26th Nov 2012, 16:38
A year on, any news ?
:E

tigerfish
26th Nov 2012, 23:10
I thought that EurocopterUK said that they were going to sell between 6 and 8 EC145's to the Fire & Rescue services.

What happened there?

tigerfish:bored:

Art of flight
27th Nov 2012, 12:45
What happened?

The new govt found a note from the last one that there was no money left.