View Full Version : CX saved by the impending demise of QF?

MrClaus
29th Oct 2011, 07:04
So much for a pilot shortage.

Qantas has just grounded its entire fleet due to industrial action and says it will shut down half the airline if the strikes continue into next year. Apart from this being exactly what Qantas management have wanted to do all along (CEO just got a 71% pay rise a week ago!); there will now be a considerable number of ex-QF guys looking for a job.

Saved by Oasis, now Qantas. I almost wonder if CX didn't have some inside information. My guess is they will offer them the wonderful new C scale based in HK. Those who can't get work with the likes of Emirates will take it too.

:{:{:{

PW4062
29th Oct 2011, 07:47
Of course CX had inside information. JS had a "confidential" meeting with AJ in Sydney 2 weeks ago..... go figure!!

Harbour Dweller
29th Oct 2011, 08:05
Just stated on the ABC News in Australia

QF Pilots Union Vice President, Captain Richard Woodward stated that the QF CEO had direct meetings with CX Management weeks ago discussing the grounding of Qantas.

SMOC
29th Oct 2011, 08:48
Crew control would need 'weeks' of notice just to put 747/777s on the Aussie flights, if it happens over the next few days we'll know CX management were in the loop. :=

Free Flight
29th Oct 2011, 09:52
More likely to increase frequencies to Australian ports using Airbus and put 777 on the Middle East and Indian flights where they have the infrastructure and resources. IMHO.

SMOC
29th Oct 2011, 11:26
Do we have the crews to increase frequency?

For the conspiracy theorists, perhaps the DEC & DEFO advertising on the CX website last week was a beta test for the possible collapse or partial demise of QF :E

29th Oct 2011, 14:01
It's a bluff. If they stand united tthe pilots will win this.If.

geh065
29th Oct 2011, 14:30
Aircraft are being ferried back at night from TPE instead of spending the night there because those same planes are needed back in HKG for the midnight wave of departures. We are that short of planes, what makes anyone think we have extras to help QF out? Unless of course that is more lucrative than some of our own services.

404 Titan
29th Oct 2011, 15:11
Funny thing if you look at the Qantas reservation site, there are no flights available until Tuesday morning. After that it is as if QF was operating normally. I thought foolishly that the grounding was until the unions caved in. Do they (QF management) really think it is going to be that fast when it is clear the government has been caught on the back foot and are seriously pissed and the greens who hold the balance of power, have called on the government to back the unions in this fight? Considering this has quite clearly been in the works for some time by QF management, and QF only had their AGM yesterday, I would think that there will be some serious question by the regulators as to why this wasn’t tabled at the AGM, an AGM where the board were re-elected and the Irishman was awarded a 71% pay rise. Funny that isn’t it? :yuk:

Hedo Rick
29th Oct 2011, 15:14
As if a 747 skipper or any sane minded person would join here

S/O expat deal

30,000 Basic Salary

10,000 Housing

= $4813.00 Total USD / per month

quadspeed
29th Oct 2011, 21:22
In order for CX to take advantage of the however unlikely demise of QF, one of two things must happen:

1) Aussie bases and taxation get sorted. Fast
2) C-scale is sweetened for DEJFOs and Rapid Commanders.

Current Second Officers should be paying close attention to how things unfold, because without rapid intervention by FWA any chance of seeing their tenures drop below 4 years of sandwich munching just disappeared along with their chance of a command before 2025.

Cpt. Underpants
29th Oct 2011, 22:11
It's the height of arrogance to assume that ANY QF pilot would quit to join this abysmal circus.

CX isn't 1/2 the airline it once was.

stillalbatross
29th Oct 2011, 22:26
PanAm isnt half the airline it once was. What exactly is your point? The entire industry is changing, up to you whether you accept it.

Iron Skillet
29th Oct 2011, 23:24
Finally, I believe that any future attempt to restart the insane career-destroying stupidity of disallowed DECs (by whatever nickname, such "freighter captain" or "rapid commander" schemes) will be met with fury and a costly response by the current generation of FOs and SOs not willing to take any more abuse. The recent list of career-destroying moves has obviously stretched their tolerance beyond the limit (e.g. RA65, AHK, ACC, BPP, on-shoring fiasco). Hopefully, some of the current generation of CNs will have the foresight to stand by them, too.

In the meantime, probably every loophole will continue to be twisted into legitimacy with more transfer of a/c and jobs to even worse conditions at AHK, ACC and whatever else CX invents as it destroys itself and its pilots' careers, regardless of what happens at QF.

Bob Hawke
30th Oct 2011, 03:33
Why is that I read everything about this debacle is in Irish?

SMOC
30th Oct 2011, 09:24
Cathay Pacific Airways has said it will help as much as possible through its One-World partnership with Qantas - provided that seats are available.

:D:D:D

Way to go CX, do absolutely nothing! :ugh:

AAIGUY
30th Oct 2011, 11:57
Doing something requires risk.

Doing nothing involves maximizing revenue
on flights currently operating.

CX was never accused of being a humanitarian company like ANZ have they

404 Titan
30th Oct 2011, 14:46
Yamma

For CX it would only be a headache,they would be mad to employ such crazy people, who would be willing to go to such lengths to dismember companies as they (QF pilots) have!
And what have these so called crazy QF pilots done you twit apart from wearing red ties and making PA’s?

Before you mouth off in the future I suggest you research the facts rather than believing everything you see on ACA, TTT, Today and Sunrise. Entertainment dressed up as news to entertain (sorry manipulate) the Bogan masses.

Just so you know this is the first time in 45 years QF pilots have taken any industrial action and if you call wearing a red tie and making PA’s dismembering a company then you are truly the most naive person in the world. :ugh:

Walk-Around Bitch
30th Oct 2011, 14:59
And we wear AOA lD lanyards and wore yellow ribbons and look how well it's working for us :E

404 Titan
30th Oct 2011, 15:09
Yamma

So you are one of those types that are content on letting your CoS slide and therefore your standard of living. Your ignorance of industrial relations is truly breathtaking.:ugh:

404 Titan
30th Oct 2011, 15:45
Yamma
I agree lets allow CX to hire DEC on any base they can hold, and whichever fleet they desire.
I have never said that. I have only pointed out the flaw in your one sided opinion regarding QF pilots pertaining to their industrial dispute with their company. I don’t care how much someone earns. We all have the right to try and improve our T&C’s when it is time to renegotiate with our employer. To say someone isn’t entitled to that right because you think they earn too much smacks of “Tall Poppy Syndrome” which unfortunately is endemic in Australia.

Captain Dart
30th Oct 2011, 21:49
Management can stop salivating. 'Fair Work Australia', the industrial umpire, has intervened and QF will be back in the air later today. It's all over...for now. Captain Toss teamed up with a QF sky god would have been interesting though!

And for management stooges etc going on about 'greedy pilots' etc, all the QF boys and girls want is for QF aircraft to be flown by QF pilots; they are not after a pay rise. Their campaign may only be PA's and billboards, but they are doing something about being undercut by cheap foreign pilots.

Meanwhile, we will go on training and flying with 'Cheap Charlie iCadet'...

Frogman1484
31st Oct 2011, 09:50
I recon they can join as long as they call me "skipper" when in the pub!

SMOC
31st Oct 2011, 12:09
Looks like Joyce got exactly what he wanted, no industrial action for the next 90 days, covers Nov, Dec & Jan, reminds me of CX tactics.

crwjerk
31st Oct 2011, 15:24
The Corporations win again.........
AND

I can't wait to be on a command loft 4 with a ex-QF dip s-**t telling me how QF knows the best way to fly a A330.

As if any direct entry fu*k would have to do ONE loft........:\:\:\

Dan Winterland
31st Oct 2011, 17:02
"I can't wait to be on a command loft 4 with a ex-QF dip s-**t telling me how QF knows the best way to fly a A330."

Ha ha! It was KA who tought QF how to fly 330's. What comes around goes around!: :ok:

crwjerk
11th Nov 2011, 11:53
Look who's been busy ............

Tony alder of Bribane Posted at 8:14 AM Today
Congratulations to Capt Crespigny. A brave man in saying what he felt was sensible and obvious to the outside world of International flying. I have been a pilot for 40 years and flown Internationally for some 25 of those years and agree totally that if Qantas pilots don't realize they live in a very competitive world, particularly within Asia they will eventually be naturally forced into unemployment. The aviation industry is one of the most difficult professions to be in and one can't rest on a "public service " type mentality in assuming that The world owes them the opportunity and security for a life time regardless of economic conditions. The Airline pilot is a professional, Qantas pilots need to set the example.

re: old mate taking sides with QF in the battle to keep jobs in Australia.

duyen
11th Nov 2011, 14:58
aussie pilots are idiots!