PDA

View Full Version : Qantas grounds entire fleet

three eighty
29th Oct 2011, 06:49
Those wishing to avail of staff travel on the Aussie routes might want to rethink their plans

Qantas GROUNDS ENTIRE FLEET indefinitely with IMMEDIATE EFFECT

BREAKING NEWS :Qantas has grounded fleetindefinitely with immediate effect and will lock out striking staff Monday

BREAKING NEWS: Qantas grounds entire fleet
news.com.au
October 29, 2011
5:27PM
QANTAS has grounded its entire domestic and international fleet of aircraft and will lock out staff from Monday night.
"We are grounding the Qantas fleet now," Qantas chief Alan Joyce has said, adding that planes currently in the air would continue to their destinations.

The lockout will begin at 8pm AEDT on Monday, but Mr Joyce has said to maintain safety standards meant the grounding had to be effective from "right now".

"We are locking out until the unions withdraw their extreme claim and reach agreement with us," Mr Joyce has told a press conference.

He has said he has informed the government of his decision.

He has said overseas staff would not be affected by the lockout and would continue to be paid.

MrMachfivepointfive
29th Oct 2011, 07:58
Oh? Did a volcano burp 20000 miles away? Oh no! This time it's a different excuse to act 'intellectually challenged'. Keep it on! The ME carriers are roaring with laughter all the way to the bank.

TineeTim
29th Oct 2011, 09:48
All of you who have been scratching your heads and thinking 'Why are these QF guys coming to interview with EK?' now have your answer......

woofer
29th Oct 2011, 10:34
This is unbelievable. Things never change

The $5 million man: Qantas boss Alan Joyce booed over sky-high payrise | News.com.au (http://www.news.com.au/business/crunch-time-qantas-ceo-faces-shareholders-and-unions-at-agm/story-e6frfm1i-1226179319256)

Iver
29th Oct 2011, 20:17
I am sure EK management are salivating over the potential numbers of ex-Qantas pilots who might apply IF Qantas does go under... Huge number of highly qualified pilots - perfect for the incoming A380s...

littlejet
29th Oct 2011, 20:25
What are the union's demands?

Bazzamundi
30th Oct 2011, 01:39
Do a youtube search for Hungry Beast Jetconnect. About a 2 minute clip prepared for the ABC channel current affairs here in Aust. Makes it clear.

Jetconnect (HUNGRY BEAST) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68f_JdPmvlM)

Bazzamundi
30th Oct 2011, 01:44
A certain manager in QF was recently telling us that we have to take a pay cut or have our jobs outsourced. She also gladly stated that QF could bankrupt the mainline entity tomorrow, start a new one soon thereafter, and have access to 1000's of eager Australian pilots working overseas on rates much cheaper than ours who would be happy to come home.

It all depends on how much you are willing to sacrifice in terms of pay and condtions to return to Australia.

Do a google search on our chairman and his role in union busting in Rio Tinto. Shows exactly what sort of egos are on the line here.

MosEisley
30th Oct 2011, 06:11
Hang tough and make them close the doors, there are plenty of jobs out there for qualified pilots. The sooner airline management realizes they need us more than we need them, we will all be better off. Airline management have enjoyed decades of union busting and heavy handed tactics and have decimated this profession compared to what it used to be. The looming shortage is completely their fault and they will soon have to pay dearly for the years they've had their hands in our pockets.

vfenext
30th Oct 2011, 07:33
The union demands are very reasonable. They only want to work on Tuesday's, but not EVERY Tuesday.

fatbus
30th Oct 2011, 08:07
I wish no harm comes to the QF crews but I would not be counting on a good outcome. The new QF at 50% of its current size and long haul wages in-line with VA/ Jet star, might be the new reality. Alot of people have said those working at QF were in need of a big reality check and I think this is upon them now.

Good Luck to all you guys/gals

woofer
30th Oct 2011, 09:16
Fatbus

I agree with your statement up to a certain degree.

Airlines today tend to want a healthy Profit & Loss account by reducing cost. Although correct, the question is where do you stop? Reducing costs tend to be a dangerous game as one has to keep in mind when to stop. It's the easiest form of management. Nowadays product differentiation doesn't exist in management's vocabulary. When was the last time that Qantas changed its product to attract better business? In my humble opinion years ago and thus many Aussies are choosing to fly with other airlines

Good management looks in the long term. People start to panic and thus look at greener pastures which I think is wrong as the decisions are taken in a rush. I think I know this from personal experience.

It's true that there are many pilots in the market but how many are experienced? I have friends in EK, EY and QR and they all state that all three are finding it difficult to find experienced pilots

givemewings
30th Oct 2011, 09:30
See What the unions want (http://www.afr.com/p/business/companies/what_the_unions_want_1XPzVNsdfoO8ijqgol4e1O)

See link for what the unions were asking for. Note that not only are they locking out ALAEA, TWU and AIPA members but the domestic crews as well, airport staff and cabin crew were being told in the early stages that if they are in a union they are locked out.

(I know that unions are illegal in the UAE but we are discussing an Australian carrier here)

Excluding an employee from work on the basis of membership is illegal. Qantas had no (current) beef with the CC or ground staff other than the bag chuckers, why are they then locking out everyone including the domestic operation? I get that Joyce is trying to show he's got big balls but I think this was a step too far.

Either way, good for ME carriers with Etihad being granted rights to do SYD/MEL shuttles for one week starting Monday!! :cool:

Voodoo 3
30th Oct 2011, 14:39
Looks like QF have just given their competitors full loads for the foreseeable future. If I had my travel plans as disrupted as QF has done then I wouldn't travel with that carrier again. There can't be many if any destinations where they are the sole carrier, (Fiji, Tahiti, etc maybe). Possibly their load factor in the future might show them that people have a choice and QF ain't it!!!

White Knight
30th Oct 2011, 16:54
Fiji

Heard of Air Pacific?

Voodoo 3
30th Oct 2011, 18:59
Nope .

t_cas
30th Oct 2011, 21:34
Air Tahiti Nui?

Fearless Leader
30th Oct 2011, 23:21
:ugh::ugh::ugh:

GMW.

[QUOTE](I know that unions are illegal in the UAE but we are discussing an Australian carrier here)/QUOTE]

Please…………!

Are you THAT paranoid, that you have preface your posts with something so obvious to everyone here?

Patty747400
31st Oct 2011, 00:42
"The sooner airline management realizes they need us more than we need them, we will all be better off."

I wish... but it's not true.

"Airline management" is usually a well paid CEO that if the airline goes down the drain will leave with a hefty compensation package and within a month or so end up in another well paid management job.
For the pilots of a major airline it's another story, they will have to move halfway around the world and/or start on the bottom of a seniority list with greatly reduced pay and benefits. Not to mention uprooting their family or live a hard life as a commuter.
When employees of a major airline say "I don't care, it's the company's problem" they fail to realize that THEY are the company, the CEO is not since he will only stay a couple of years regardless of the results.

Captain Dart
31st Oct 2011, 00:58
Management can stop salivating. It's all over for now, Australia's industrial umpire has ruled, and QF start flying again today. So no desperate, hungry pilots for EK, and no instant Australian bases for potential sc-bs.

Airline managements, not just QF's but that of my own Asian outfit, just keep 'expanding the envelope' when it comes to stupidity.

givemewings
31st Oct 2011, 08:02
Fearless Leader...

You might have the funds to pay legal bills but I do not. Were you even paying attention when all that business went on down the road in AUH? Better safe than sorry I say.

And just FYI, not all people reading here live in the UAE/GCC nor know that unions are illegal in these places. So yes I added that part for context. Out of that whole post that's the part you chose to focus on??? :ugh: