PDA

View Full Version : A few unrelated questions

Nicholas49
28th Oct 2011, 15:40
Hello everyone

I have a few unrelated questions and would as ever be grateful if you could help answer them.

1) I know that it is common practice for the captain to explain to passengers the reason for a go-around. But I wondered whether you would ever explain to the passengers of the next flight why you went around on the previous flight? The situation I have in mind is where the passengers waiting in the departure lounge have a good view of the runway and arriving aircraft (i.e. a small rural airport in France with little other traffic, not a busy airport like Heathrow where such a scenario would clearly not present itself), can clearly see you go around and the return flight is operated by the same crew.

2) My father flew out of London City Airport a few days ago. He thought that his flight levelled off after take-off, maintained its altitude and then started climbing again. I said I thought this was probably due to separation with Heathrow traffic rather than something specific about his flight (although the latter is clearly a possibility). Was I right?

3) To settle an argument that arose in the pub (where else?), could someone kindly tell me whether a four-engine aircraft (B747, A340 etc.) can fly on only one engine? I'm not going to say which answer I opted for. ;)

Thanks!
Nick

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
28th Oct 2011, 16:28
2. Quickly looked at the SID charts for London City and at least one levels at 3000 ft after departure.

BOAC
28th Oct 2011, 16:56
1) Probably not. If c/crew reported interest I might.

2) Most SIDS do that. It depends on traffic whether the level off is cancelled or not

3) Yes but depending on weight, probably not for very long. Vector would be downwards!

towser
29th Oct 2011, 17:11
1. Probably not.

2.All departures out of London city stop at 3000' due to Heathrow traffic and you can get held down for quite a while and almost always get a 'stepped' climb.

Blink182
29th Oct 2011, 18:38
3/ A 747 can easily fly with No engines operative.............it has been demostrated;).....I think your question should read "Can a 4 engine aircraft maintain level flight on 1 engine" ?

Avionker
2nd Nov 2011, 22:00
As for question 3, I was lead to believe that the Nimrod could actually maintain a positive rate of climb on one engine.... Could be an urban myth though.
And it's not an airliner... And it's no longer in service... :}