PDA

View Full Version : Am I too late to join airlines ?

VHHX
28th Oct 2011, 09:43
Hi Pilots,

I am 38 yrs old now and I have obtained my CPL/IR/ME but without any jet type rating, is there any chances to get a job from airlines or am I too late to join airlines ?

Shiny side down
28th Oct 2011, 09:45
Keep trying.
I knew a guy who was 44 when he got his first job on TurboProps, and then ended up on something much bigger.
I'm fairly sure he was NOT a high time instructor, either.

In fact, make that 2 fellas.
One was nearly 40ish, when he got his licence, and ended up as a SO somewhere in your neck of the woods, last I heard.

Aeronotix
29th Oct 2011, 05:52
Face reality. Supply is much more than the total demand. And all else being equal on the qualifications required, criteria & experience front, a younger guy would certainly win the race.

However, if you know someone up there in govt, airline, etc., then your chances would be bright. That's one way the pendulum swings. But under normal circumstances, in today's scenario it could be a long wait. Yes, I do think age wise you are a bit too late :suspect: but never lose hope, for there are cases in aviation when pilots in their 40s have made it on the right hand seat.:)

Aeronotix

KAG
29th Oct 2011, 06:02
38, that's not a problem most of the times.

However the market is not easy for pilot without experience.

B737NG
29th Oct 2011, 10:15
Today one thing counts and that is hours on Type or at least similar Type.

What Companies look at is Turbine time above 20.000KG max TO-Weight to put you in the upper ranks, where you at least got invited for screening and interview.

So with Your age and Licence you can put yourself ahead as determined. Some Younger Chaps find out after two three years within the Industry that the shiny big bucks are not coming and the lifestyle, especially in Commuters, sucks and they leave again.

Do not expect to get too much, luck is a big portion where you end up as well. I remember some of my Class mate, we started and we finished around the same time. Some where not as flexible as I was. One was ending up in Helicopters, the other has a dead end in Turboprop and another I seen in a Citation II now and then. Another one is Captain now on a A320 and I see myself lucky enough to fly B777´s since a while. We all where in our late 20´s early 30´s when we started. All possible, also some do not fly at all commercially.

Many jobless 22-30 Year old licence holders out of job, or better saight, never had one since they finished. The real winners where the training institutions who lured the dream to make it into the Industry. A few did, no doubt. Not everyone who goes to Las Vegas winns.

Fly safe and land happy

NG

Iron Duke
29th Oct 2011, 14:22
Certainly not too old ..

However working your way through a legacy carrier to senior long-haul Captain is probably not an option. The young players do have this opportunity ....

You probably still have the best part of 30 years to offer, so if you get yourself into a good regional/ low cost airline (or sign on early with a "to be" successful start up) you could still have a very rewarding career. Management in these types of companies may have the suspicion that their airlines may only be used by young pilots as a stepping stone to bigger things. If you can convince of your loyalty, you may even be seen as a better option than the young blow through ... ??

Current type ratings though do play a significant part in any success these days .... sadly ..

Good Luck.

I. Duke

MagicCarpet
30th Oct 2011, 08:36
I’m with the Duke.

At 38 you have 27 years left before mandatory retirement. That’s more than many people spend in any career. You’ve got your multi-instrument-commercial so you’re not some 50hr private pilot wannabe. If it’s what you really want to do, I say go for it.

P51mustang
30th Oct 2011, 09:28
Dear VHHX

Dont give up... but dont stop at your CPL ... work up the ladder ,try to gain as much of experience as you can , as alot of people think its the end after CPL .

B737NG
30th Oct 2011, 11:33
The CPL is the beginning and not the end. I had my first Commercial Job as well with a CPL/ME/IR on a Turboprop as F/O by pure luck. After that the run started and I kept going with the flow and tried to make the most out of it.

On my way I have seen many unlucky fellows who tried and tried and just had bad news every time. I also got setbacks when I got messages that 3.500 hrs total and 2.000 on Type where not enough to fly the Turboprop after Command as F/O again.... It either hurts you or it challenges you.

Fly safe and land happy

NG

wings of fire
30th Oct 2011, 16:37
Dear fellow aviator

One thing my parents have taught me is that - many times, life doesn't go the logical way, or the way man thinks logically. What may seem to be logical to you right now and if you are investing too much of time thinking about it, it may not happen at all in the future and future may have something better to offer you.

As pointed out by other fellow aviators, that people still got the jobs after crossing 35.

Wish u the best

prefly
31st Oct 2011, 01:47
I started my my cpl at 32 and I know 2 guys who are flying a regional turboprops at 40.

slayerdude
1st Nov 2011, 14:00
Know a guy join air Asia at 44 after cpl/ir as 2nd career ...

Sky Dancer
1st Nov 2011, 17:08
Er... sorry to burst your bubble but did you get any advice before you embarked on this career path ?:confused: