PDA

View Full Version : MS Visual Studio - do I need it

brockenspectre
27th Oct 2011, 10:02
Hi all

I have just been alerted to a couple of important Windows updates (the usual thing) but this time one of them is for Microsoft Visual Studio...I have in the past noticed that this is installed on my 'puter but I never use it and was just wondering if it is something I can uninstall safely?

Checking Wiki etc this seems to be a developer tool but I don't want to rush into uninstalling/deleting it without being sure!

Thank you in advance for answers!! :ok:

txdmy1
27th Oct 2011, 12:37
it is a developer tool, we build images/desktops without it, if you have it installed and don't use it just apply the updates and leave it

mixture
27th Oct 2011, 13:56
if you have it installed and don't use it just apply the updates and leave it

Huh ?

It's an IDE. If brockenspectre has no idea what an IDE is, let alone how to write C# etc. then it's a fairly pointless activity leaving it installed.

brockenspectre, uninstall it and save your disk space, unless there is a rare chance you may wish to take up programming later in life !

Gertrude the Wombat
27th Oct 2011, 19:31
something I can uninstall safely?
Probably.

There's a small risk that other installed applications use some RTEs that are part of VS, and that uninstalling VS will over-enthusiastically remove shared DLLs. My guess is that for this to be a real problem you would have had to have installed some really crap software, and done so after VS was installed.

txdmy1
28th Oct 2011, 08:25
if it's not broke don't fix it ;)