PDA

View Full Version : Being a Cathay Pilot is just like being in the military

Adam Nams
27th Oct 2011, 03:05
I just had to put this on here. An article in this morning's Standard newspaper in Hong Kong:

According to a captain, pilots are assigned "field reserve" days, in which they have to show up at work ready to replace a colleague who cannot fly due to sickness, tardiness

"tardiness" :D

or other reasons.

There are also "home reserve" days when pilots are allowed to do their own thing, but should be prepared to answer a call to work when the "field reserve" pilots have been used up.

The captain told The Standard there have been complaints that "home reserve" pilots are being used excessively.
"It is like being a military pilot, where you can be called to fly on a moment's notice, leaving you with little personal time to relax and not think of work," he said.

Full article here (http://www.thestandard.com.hk/news_detail.asp?pp_cat=30&art_id=116466&sid=34221027&con_type=1)

Also on "Fragrant Harbour" forum.

Old-Duffer
27th Oct 2011, 05:52
Well my heart bleeds for them! It's no big deal with mobile 'phones carried everywhere and various types of standby or on-call duty in many industries. Just have to leave the booze alone.

Old Duffer

sitigeltfel
27th Oct 2011, 06:23
And just how much are Cathay captains paid?

TBM-Legend
27th Oct 2011, 07:11
I wish these people who whinge would leave and find another job like driving a taxi or something...

orgASMic
27th Oct 2011, 08:11
Should be no surprise - were a good number of Cathay pilots not recruited from the RAF (and the Reds, in particular) back in the day?

fincastle84
27th Oct 2011, 09:46
Do they get a hostie to bring them their food & drink while they're on standby? If not, that's why they're p*ssed off.:rolleyes:

Black Sheep One
27th Oct 2011, 15:11
Quite, bugger off you crusty old gits, and leave space for us (relatively) young 'uns to move up the chain! All said in jest!

sisemen
27th Oct 2011, 15:56
Used to be on the career path for 10 Sqn guys.