PDA

View Full Version : Go/No go for CPL at 30

A330_200
27th Oct 2011, 01:33
Hi guys,
I am software professional currently working in Canada and holding Indian nationality. Becoming a pilot has been a lifelong dream and finally i am in a position to do so. However i feel that i am running out of time as im already 30 now.
Even if i decide to go for it , since i am working full time i can only commit myself at a slower pace where it could take me up to 2 yrs for the CPL.
Would it be a wise move to go for it and have ur CPL in hand for the next opportunity when ur 30+?

What do you guys think.I need your much needed advice......thanks in advance for your replies.

aviatorzuckeberg
27th Oct 2011, 08:53
bro...with the present scenerio+ ur age....i very strongly urge u not to go for it.......there r plenty of teenage pilots out there with type rating and jobless......the situation is bad in most countries.......trust me.....dont let anybody tell u anythin diff..........dont mean to be so negative.....but this is real and present.....

mach5
27th Oct 2011, 09:59
I wont recommend this at your age , check the link you will get enough details

http://www.pprune.org/south-asia-far-east/465470-cpl-40-a.html

KAG
27th Oct 2011, 10:32
You live in Canada?

In Canada starting at 30 is very commun.

Jazbag
27th Oct 2011, 13:04
If you do wish to fly and get a CPL nobody can stop you.... however keep in mind that your path will be strewn with thorns and obstacles and unless you have very powerful contacts you may never be able to further your career as an airline pilot.....

JB

speedbird787
27th Oct 2011, 13:10
well if you really wan to be a pilot no body can stop you.......but yes just because you are of indian origin in canada wanting to become a airline pilot in india...i personally would say its a bad idea.....dont change your career at this age because....the path to an airline in india is full of thorns which will rob you of your finances.......you can still be a pilot in canada .accumulate some hours on a part time basis.may be in future you might get an oppurtunity.........but yes never leave your current job.......and ya dont tell you were not warned:ok:

ButterFly747
27th Oct 2011, 16:28
Ofcourse YES..go do it. live your dream. do your training in canada part time and in worst case scenario start working as a flight instructor post CPL in canada and also side by side keep a lookout in india and keep applying in companies here.

In canada, struggle period is about 2 years as an instructor..once you've accumulated even 1000 hrs, one of the regional airlines will hire you and then onwards there's no looking back.
I've done my flight training in canada too and seen people older to you training to be a pilot. So please just listen to your heart and go live your dream.

All the best

A330_200
27th Oct 2011, 16:32
One shouldnt shy away from reality and i am defiantly not planning on leaving my current job........ I just want to pursue the CPL on the side.
I also think at this very low point in Indian aviation maybe its a good idea to get your training done and be ready and hope that the industry picks up in a few years. I am not really after the money that this profession might bring. Its simply to realize a lifelong dream. Also as a resident here in Canada i will have the benefit of 2 hunting grounds.

A tough decision to make indeed...
Thanks again guys for the advice.......

A330_200
27th Oct 2011, 18:50
why would it be difficult to make it to the airlines.. is there a cut off for age that airlines apply. I think there are guidelines but no hard and fast rules to abide by.

fernandeztv
27th Oct 2011, 19:18
@A330-200 You asked if you can become a pilot at the age of 30. Perfectly possible for you get a PPL, then a CPL and become a pilot if you have the money and the required skills.

Whether you can become an "airline pilot" is another cup of tea.

Plus going by your post you have pretty much made up your mind by pointing all the pros (without the cons)...so why bother...just go ahead and do what you to! Atleast you wont have regrets later on when you are 40! You will have your wings irrespective of whether it is for flying a Cessna 172 or a light twin! :ok:

However as you are well informed by now...getting into an Indian airline with minimum hours is no longer a cake walk as it was 5 years back. If it might suit you...just do a part time PPL, CPL slowly as and when you can do it and enjoy the flying :)...and at the same time enjoy the moolah from your software job :ok: Who knows maybe you will fall in love with flying light aircraft. An airline job is not as glamorous as it looks or is being made out. Falling T&Cs ...quick turnaround flights with minmum rest in between...ain't exactly a bed of roses!

By the time you manage to convert your Canadian CPL to an Indian one and have all the required licenses (COP-RTR, FRTOL, Medical, CPL-ME-IR, ELP etc) at best you will be 33 or 34..and YES most airlines do have a max cut off age for zero timers at 33 to 35. (mine for sure does!)

A330_200
27th Oct 2011, 19:37
Thanks for your detailed response.
I think at my age, get the CPL and work as a FI until i have the hours is the way to go. Will the airlines age restirction apply lets say if u have around 1000+ as an instructor.

assanick
28th Oct 2011, 02:42
If you have time and money then go for it. But hard to get a job with CPL!!!!

A330_200
28th Oct 2011, 02:48
I think at my age, get the CPL and work as a FI until i have the hours is the way to go. Will the airlines age restirction apply lets say if u have around 1000+ as an instructor?

B737NG
28th Oct 2011, 07:16
Dear A330-200, You can have a dream, a desire, a wish and and and.

Becoming a Pilot with CPL/ME/IFR is a question of skills and money. It is rewarded with your self esteem and pride when you hold it in hands, no doubt. I still remember my first take off in a C152 on RWY 26.....

Today one thing counts and that is hours on Type or at least similar Type.

There is the problem: You can make it up to Instructor, having best skills and fast reactions as students teach you to fly/survive, but the time many serious companies look at is Turbine time above 20.000KG max TO-Weight. Below is there yes, to put you in the upper ranks, where you at least got invited for screening and interview, is difficult.

Many jobless 22-30 Year old licence holders out of job, or better saight, never had one since they finished. The real winners where the training institutions who lured the dream to make it into the Industry. A few did, no doubt. Not everyone who goes to Las Vegas winns.

Keep Your Job to pay the bills, listen to fellows who warn you, most of them just want your best, some might be jealous of your ambition. Keep up the good spirit but with open eyes and ears, canīt hurt.

Do not dream your life, live your Dream. Make it, part time maybe, have a look and if you are the winner of the draw: You can get it but do not put your expectation high and fall deep, it hurts.

Fly safe and land happy

NG

zer0_grav
31st Oct 2011, 01:52
Sent you a PM.