PDA

View Full Version : Wires overlay - OS Maps

PPRuNeUser0211
26th Oct 2011, 21:24
Hey all, I tried a quick post in the mil-aircrew section, but seeing as rotary brethren tend to be more concerned with wires, I figured I'd try in rotorheads also.

So, wires overlay for OS maps. Military OS maps have a purple wires overlay which is particularly useful for CA's/low level. I'm chasing a civilian source for something similar. Electronic format (memory map or similar) would be ideal, but a paper map would be a starter for ten!

Any help much appreciated

Helinut
27th Oct 2011, 08:14
The only practical source of this I have found is to "tap in" to the MOD, one way or the other.

They presumably get their information from someone like the National Grid, but I suspect:

if you asked they would want to charge you;
they might not be happy to give you chapter and verse about their main asset

A.Agincourt
27th Oct 2011, 15:11
You might try to get the address/contact details for the military supplier. [the ADU I think] One of the military forum blokes should be able to help easily enough. I am pretty sure you would be able to buy an OS map/maps from them, they do sell other flight related reference material - or did. There is no 'security' issue with the over prints.

HTH

Best Wishes

Helinut
27th Oct 2011, 20:53
The current name/acronym is AIDU. They are based at Northolt and do sell to civvies these days. I get copies of their helicopter landing sites guides. Not sure if their lines include the OS maps with overlays. I don't know that you will get the electronic versions though, if that is what you want.

PPRuNeUser0211
28th Oct 2011, 12:17
Yes, this is turning into something that is substantially more difficult than it should be. It would appear that all the parts exist, and are in no way restricted, but there is no easy avenue to purchase them through the civvy route (AIDU I believe don't sell them.) Surely something that would be useful to a lot of civvy pilots (Air Ambulance in particular). Why, oh why, is this product not easily available?

My next port of call is OS themselves...

Floppy Link
28th Oct 2011, 13:59
Our OS maps in the ( Helimed ) map bag have the power line overprint, so it can be done.

PPRuNeUser0211
29th Oct 2011, 07:45
Floppy link - any chance of finding out where you guys source them from? I'm staunchly refusing to believe that this overlay is solely available to mil folk

switch_on_lofty
29th Oct 2011, 10:14
When you do get hold of them, make sure you also get a copy of the CHAD (Chart Amendment Document).

The maps are only updated every x years so the CHAD (available as PDF or something) gives you all the up to date obstructions inc new windfarms etc.

Enjoy and Good Luck!

Helinut
29th Oct 2011, 19:56
Most people who manage to acquire them have some sort of informal contact within the greater MOD. Within helicopter MOD there seemed to be lots of copies of the maps "lying around": perhaps less so these days?

I got the impression that within the MOD hele units the maps were effectively "use once only", so there was a need for a significant stock.

I agree it would be good to be able to get copies more formally.

freerideroj2
1st Nov 2011, 16:37
I'm an Observer in the electrical industry - we are all on moving OS maps with electrical and aviation overlays. You could always try that route with electrical companies (pass them a few quid?) and see if they'll reproduce the old way?

* Maps will have nearly ALL the powerlines on them also.