PDA

View Full Version : Jetstar 330 diversion

Mud Skipper
26th Oct 2011, 00:12
It seems if a Qantas passenger farts it's news worthy but I didn't read a whisper of this (http://avherald.com/h?article=445032a1&opt=0) in the press.

Incident: Jetstar A332 over Pacific on Oct 24th 2011, engine shut down in flight
By Simon Hradecky, created Monday, Oct 24th 2011 16:22Z, last updated Monday, Oct 24th 2011 16:22Z

A Jetstar Airways Airbus A330-200, registration VH-EBJ performing flight JQ-26 from Tokyo Narita (Japan) to Cairns,QL (Australia) with 161 passengers, was enroute over the Pacific Ocean about one hour into the crossing towards Australia when the crew needed to shut the right hand engine down due to low pressure in the fuel pumps. The aircraft turned around and diverted to Osaka's Kansai Airport (Japan) for a safe landing about 2.5 hours after departure.

The flight was subsequently cancelled.

Anyone able to give anymore details?

BTW; Does anyone know how they are making such fantastic profits with 161 passengers? :rolleyes:

DJ737
26th Oct 2011, 00:29
So they shut down an engine and went back to Osaka, seems a pretty normal response, what would a QF SkyGod have done in the same circumstances?

161 pax on an A330 is better than some QF flights I have been on, LHR-BKK on a QF 744 with 68 pax (during the Iceland volcano saga) :rolleyes:

ejectx3
26th Oct 2011, 00:37
wait a minute, this isn't a Qantas bashing thread? What's it doing in here?

Dragun
26th Oct 2011, 01:22
I heard a C152 doing a diversion from Mudgee to Bathurst yesterday. Must've been a part of PPL training. Anyone have anymore details?

NewPiper
26th Oct 2011, 01:28
DJ737,

I think you are being overly kind and understating their self opinions (QF Pilots) by using the term 'Skygod'.

NP

chockchucker
26th Oct 2011, 01:29
So they shut down an engine and went back to Osaka, seems a pretty normal response, what would a QF SkyGod have done in the same circumstances?

Not sure anyone is questioning the actions taken by the tech crew in this instance. Far from it. Rather the fact if it were a QF A330 that suffered similar problems it would've been front page news is all...........

ANCDU
26th Oct 2011, 01:34
Wow some big chips on peoples shoulders here. I think the point is if it was Qantas it would have been front page news. Qantas is under a lot more scrutiny by ther general public here because of the belief (true or not) that its our national airline. Well done to the crew for doing their job.

Keg
26th Oct 2011, 02:24
..what would a QF SkyGod have done in the same circumstances?

I think you are being overly kind and understating their self opinions (QF Pilots) by using the term 'Skygod'.

FFS this 'skygod' stuff is getting very old- particularly when it's often levelled by people who don't have that much first hand experience with Qantas drivers. How about you lot grow up a bit because I bet you wouldn't have the guts to ever call me that to my face. Then again, if you actually knew a bunch of Qantas drivers you'd work out pretty quickly that you're being an ignorant douche using the label in the first instance.

(Apologies to the rest of the PPRUNE world who are familiar with the QF drivers on the forum. Too many early starts in a row mean that rants like this become more common! :O )

blueloo
26th Oct 2011, 02:25
what would a QF SkyGod have done in the same circumstances

DJ737.... did you fail the Penis measurement test - to be a Skygod, it has to be at least 3cm. No wonder you are so bitter. Small willy syndrome has a lot to answer for...... :}

FMU
26th Oct 2011, 02:28
Engine was NOT shutdown in flight. No1 engine power was reduced to idle due to a FADEC fault. The aircraft diverted to KIX without any further issues. The aircraft is still in KIX and rectification is in progress.

Mstr Caution
26th Oct 2011, 02:34
What time will the Qantas Aircraft on Ground Engineering team get there?

Mud Skipper
26th Oct 2011, 02:38
DJ737 and idiot co,

Why can't a simple question get an real answer, I was asking for more details before jumping to conclusions, you know - GRADE.

seems a pretty normal response, well I take it you have never flown the 330 if you think that's a normal response.

shut the right hand engine down due to low pressure in the fuel pumps.

Low fuel pressure - GRVTY FUEL FEEDING - 1 hour into the flight should not in itself need an engine to be shut down using a gravity ceiling of 20,000'.
Therefore what else was going on - Fair question I would have thought.

Back Pressure
26th Oct 2011, 02:39
Yeah, I too find it odd that this incident didn't register on any Oz media radar.

Could I be forgiven for thinking that maybe QF mgmnt (larf) might just be surreptitiously alerting certain media outlets when an incident happens on a red-tailed aircraft ???

This would, of course, be deliberate "damaging the brand" (how dare I say such a thing) but would be consistent with previous garbage emanating from AJ etc., such as calling QF pilots "kamikazes"...and making extreme efforts to alienate QF workforce.

If I was a conspiracy theorist, I would strongly suspect that QF mgmnt & board are actively working to further the degradation of QF with the end-game being to finally get their hands on the entity at a bargain-basement price. If you want to buy a listed company, you want the share price to be low don't you ???

Should I believe in conspiracies ???

Mud Skipper
26th Oct 2011, 02:44
FMU,

Thanks for the sensible reply, sound more plausable.

ConcernedLAME
26th Oct 2011, 07:20
Sounds like someone put too much oil in her in NRT.....

Mud Skipper
26th Oct 2011, 19:29
ConcernedLAME,

Out of interest how does "too much oil" cause a FADEC unit fault?

rocket66
27th Oct 2011, 00:26
Is it possible that the low fuel pressure could be caused by the fuel in te lines beginning to freeze? Had heard something similar around the traps of a PC12 that had a problem as described

Mud Skipper
27th Oct 2011, 00:31
Rocket66

Short answer is NO, the fuel could not have got cold enough that short a time in flight.

FMU
27th Oct 2011, 02:26
There was no low fuel pressure. The fuel did not freeze. There was not too much oil. These suggestions are uninformed and amaturish. The fact is that there was a FADEC fault on the #1 engine which caused the aircraft to divert to KIX. The problem has now been fixed with a few component changes, and the aircraft is again serviceable. No news here. Move on.

Keg
27th Oct 2011, 02:48
Even if it had made the news, I'm sure much would have been made of the fact that the aircraft is maintained by Qantas engineers. It was probably dispatched from NRT by Qantas engineers too.

uick, where's Joe Hildebrand when you want a sensationalist headline about nothing? :ugh: :roll eyes: :E

happy clapper
27th Oct 2011, 07:42
Qf Engineering here in CNS was asked to help recover the aircraft.
Me and OL pal sniggih sprung to action and called the rest of our goons to an action plan meeting.
Well first off was,who will we send so we can grand stand our mates to management,This decided ,we were then left with the delemma,these two blokes have got no idea,so This decision could backfire.
Back to square one.
After 24 hours an no clear path to get the bird flying again,with utter amazement we had heard 2 Jetstar Lames from CNS had already arr in KIX and were well under way with getting the A/C servicable again.
We heard a FADEC and a VSV actuator did the trick,allthough I am Licenced on the 330,not sure where these parts live.:rolleyes:
Anyway last I heard they were sitting back having a couple of cold Saporo Golds.
Me OL pal and I still can't work out how they could send 2 of there 11 workforce away and still maintain normal ops in CNS,I mean we have 19 blokes,hardly any movements and we couldn't really let 2 guys go(that's what we told old GH)
Got to go got knives to put in peoples back:ok:

sniggiH
27th Oct 2011, 08:07
Yes Mark, sorry i mean happy clapper. I concur. We have had the wool pulled over gavin Harris' eyes for a long time and Mark Thompson is just as easy to deceive. We just tell them whatever we want and they believe it. Thats why our campaign of victimisation and harassment keeps going unabated. Or maybee its because they don't care about there employees. Either way we have made over 14 people leave, hopefully we get a few more people to go before the axe falls on Cairns next year.:D

ConcernedLAME
27th Oct 2011, 10:25
FMU.....as an A330 LAME myself I suggest you check your info... Last time I checked an oil level above 25 quarts will initiate a FADEC Fault on the EWD.

FMU
27th Oct 2011, 12:18
Concerned...............I don't recall that about the oil qty. I checked the course notes and can't find anything. You got a reference?