PDA

View Full Version : Wires overlay - OS Maps

PPRuNeUser0211
25th Oct 2011, 21:35
Simple request time!

Anyone know of anywhere one can acquire copies of the OS maps with the purple wires overlay we all take for granted if one is a Civvy?

Cheers

Lima Juliet
25th Oct 2011, 22:03
https://www.aidu.mod.uk/Milflip/contacts.php

Speak to Customer Services at AIDU, they print OS maps with power line overlays. Might be expensive...

DaveyBoy
26th Oct 2011, 21:32
AIDU have nothing to do with OS maps.

The M726-AIR maps you will have used are produced by the Defence Geographic Centre. Unfortunately buying them as a private individual is pretty much a non-starter because:

- The OS data is given to the MOD under the Central-Government-funded Public Sector Mapping Agreement. This licence does not give the MOD the right to sell it on to private individuals. The MOD may only share it with other public sector organizations that are PSMA members, contractors to those organizations, etc.

- There is currently no mechanism through which the public can pay the MOD to buy products from DGC, while there is for AIDU.

Hence, the only way to see the MOD's powerline dataset at the moment is to buy a CAA VFR chart, which uses MOD data, although these only depict high-voltage lines (hence tall pylons), and not the low-voltage (approx 80ft agl average) lines that are now shown on all the M726-AIR charts.

Sorry!

Grabbers
26th Oct 2011, 21:40
PBA

Your best bet would be to find a friendly Mil pilot or flight planner and offer to donate to a charity of their choice for a couple of damaged or used examples of the map(s) you require.

Lima Juliet
26th Oct 2011, 22:00
Davey Boy

When I was at the AIDU printing works at Northolt a couple of years ago there were OS maps coming off the press with powerline info on them. They print all sorts of stuff there from BBMF Brochures, to RAF Sports magazines to Sqn Anniversary literature to maps of various shapes and sizes.

Don't forget that Feltham and AIDU come under the JAGO and ICG banner under Defence Intelligence.

LJ

DaveyBoy
26th Oct 2011, 22:18
Leon - I certainly won't forget that DGC is part of ICG since it's where I currently work and that's why I can give pba the most up-to-date and accurate information possible. You're wrong in thinking that it's part of JAGO, although AIDU is.

Anyone in the MOD -- including AIDU -- can ask for a soft copy of DGC's OS-based maps to print out for their own purposes or those of other defence users. Nobody, not even AIDU, can give or sell them to the public.

Lima Juliet
26th Oct 2011, 22:30
DB

Roger that. Thanks for filling in the gap in my knowledge. :ok:

LJ

Lima Juliet
26th Oct 2011, 22:36
PBA Target

I've just remembered another possibility, try these people who print aeronautical overlays for Hot Air Balloonists onto OS Landranger

Overprinted maps (http://www.aerostationery.co.uk/html/body_overprinted_maps.html)

Good luck :ok:

LJ