PDA

View Full Version : Tallboy

26er
25th Oct 2011, 16:33
I was recently shown the logbook of Warrant Officer Hazell of 617 Squadron. He was a bomb aimer ( photos show him wearing an observer's brevet ) and joined the unit after the dam raids having already completed a full tour. He went to Russia ( Murmansk ? ) and took part in an abortive attempt to attack the Tirpitz. A few days later he was part of a combined 617 Sqn and another unit attack on the Tirpitz again. His logbook records "Tallboy - direct hit" for which he was awarded the DFC. He seems not to have any further logbook entries after the end of 1944 when he was posted from the squadron having flown a number of operations. ( I should have made a note but believe he had completed 47 ops )

I believe that Tirpitz was hit by three Tallboys in that attack and then turned turtle.

Groundloop
26th Oct 2011, 08:49
another unit attack on the Tirpitz again

9 squadron.

Hipper
26th Oct 2011, 13:06
A good book on the subject is Alan Cooper's 'Beyond the Dams to the Tirpitz':

Beyond the Dams to the "Tirpitz": Amazon.co.uk: Alan W. Cooper: Books (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beyond-Dams-Tirpitz-Alan-Cooper/dp/0907579159/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1319632516&sr=1-1)

The attack from Russia, in fact Yagodnik, Archangel and took place on the 15th September 1944. Kaafjord, where Tirpitz was moored, was too far to attack direct from the UK. One tallboy hit (of 17 dropped, plus 72 mines) and this passed through the ships bow and exploded beneath the keel. The resulting damage meant the end of Tirpitz's sea going career and she sailed gingerly to Tromso to act as a floating battery.

Two more attempts were made to sink her at Tromso by 9 and 617 squadrons. On the 29th October no hits were achieved but on the 12th of November she was hit by up to three tallboys and there were some near misses too. This led to some internal explosions resulting in some of her side being ripped away and eventually she capsized (source: Mike Whitley's 'German Capital Ships of WW2'.

Here is some RAF film of the final raid (held at the Imperial War Museum):

DAYLIGHT ATTACK ON 'TIRPITZ' - British Pathe (http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=56869)

antiphos
4th Mar 2012, 17:56
I would be curious, if you read this, to know where you saw the logbook. Warrant Officer Hazell was my uncle.

Grob Queen
7th Mar 2012, 11:05
Antiphos, Try contacting the RAF Museum on [email protected] They have a large collection of logbooks and may have your Uncle's.

Grob Queen
7th Mar 2012, 11:13
Sorry, typo, I meant [email protected] !

26er
7th Mar 2012, 15:13
Don't panic ! Antiphos has the info.