PDA

View Full Version : Near miss at Faro a couple of weeks back?

leslie_jones
25th Oct 2011, 15:43
I hope this is the right forum to post in! Did anyone see this one:
Algarve Resident - the REAL Algarve Resident - 1st for News, information and classifieds - 200 passengers narrowly avoid disaster at Faro airport (http://www.algarveresident.com/43167-0/algarve/200-passengers-narrowly-avoid-disaster-at-faro-airport)
"200 passengers narrowly avoid disaster at Faro airport
Updated: 21-Oct-2011
By DAISY SAMPSON
Some 200 passengers on board an easyJet flight from Faro to Gatwick narrowly avoided disaster on Monday evening as their pilot fought to halt the plane on takeoff after engine trouble.
According to a passenger on the flight, this was then followed by a near miss as an incoming plane swooped to avoid a collision with the troubled plane on the runway.
....."
I guess this would have been two weeks ago, Mon 10 Oct? A colleague was on the incoming (Ryanair) plane mentioned, which is how I heard about it yesterday (neither of us are pilots). The near miss sounded like it may have been very close indeed, the more dangerous of the two incidents...

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
25th Oct 2011, 16:17
If a runway is being used for take-off and landing and a departing aircraft aborts take-off (a bog standard manouevre) the next lander will have to carry out a go-around (another bog standard manoeuvre). No big deal.

Hamburt Spinkleman
25th Oct 2011, 16:18
Hyperbole and hysteria, the two main weapons of the press.

Someone heard something from someone who had been told by someone else. This then gets elevated to fact by Daisy.

Disaster, panicking, terrified, slammed, on fire, lucky, avert, huge. It's all there, even '"swooped" gets an honorary mention.

Just the facts Ma'am or is that too much to ask Daisy?

Topspotter
25th Oct 2011, 16:51
Great to see he also managed to avoid crashing into the nearby orphanage /school/convent/hospital/old folks home

leslie_jones
25th Oct 2011, 18:10
Thanks for the replies folks - makes sense. However what I wasn't sure of was whether the incoming plane actually made a go-around or at what point. As my colleague described it yesterday, it sounded like her incoming Ryanair flight made quite an avoidance manoeuvre, possibly even touching down and then swerving on the runway - but now I'm going to have to double-check with her (as I'm sure this would have been reported). If as the reporter said it was a "swoop" meaning a go-around, then clearly not so much of an issue (assuming it was made appropriately early).
If this was (or had been) genuinely a "near miss", is there somewhere that it would be reported officially that is available for public viewing, or would this be done behind the scenes, as it were?
Thanks, Leslie

Groundloop
26th Oct 2011, 08:44
The Ryanair aircraft would not have been given a landing clearance as the easy had not lifted off so the RYR crew would have already been preparing to carry out a go-around. Also they would have heard the easy call on the radio that they were aborting.

Both incidents no big deal.

TurboTomato
26th Oct 2011, 08:47
Darren Underdown = idiot. Missed the plane by about 10-12 feet? Yeah right.:rolleyes:

As HD and others have said, it's all standard stuff, apart from for the passengers. So it probably did feel a bit scary for the pax aboard the Easyjet flight with the Ryanair plane passing over on go around power but I wouldn't have thought there were any 'near misses' involved.

Out Of Trim
26th Oct 2011, 17:13
Anyone know what reg it was?

Capetonian
26th Oct 2011, 17:21
Anyone know what reg it was?

Oh, reg ... I thought for a moment you'd said 'rag' and was going to say that for once it wasn't the Daily Wail! But then it would have been 'a packed Airbus 737 Jumbo Jet full of terrified holidaymakers with one of its four engines blazing.......

leslie_jones
1st Nov 2011, 19:22
Okay, I checked again with my colleague yesterday as to what happened:
First I got the date wrong; my colleague was on the Ryanair flight arriving at Faro from Porto, late in the evening (9.50pm I think) on Mon 17 Oct. Apparently her incoming flight spent some time circling and then landed (and didn't go-around). On landing, she said, they braked unusually hard and came to an abrupt stop. She read the newspaper article the next day (and I think she inferred from it that the hard braking may have related to the EasyJet plane not being completely off the runway - not sure if it was foggy there at the time).
So this is clearly very speculative, and I don't know any more than that. My other question stands (apart from did anyone hear about this or have any more details): in the event of a (actual!) near-miss, is an official report made available to the public and, if so, where and when does this happen?
Cheers,
Leslie

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
1st Nov 2011, 19:38
Ever so slightly different from the first posting, eh? First of all the incoming "swooped" to avoid a collision, although how that would have worked I cannot imagine. Now we're told it landed and braked sharply..... nothing too unusual there. Ever landed on Jersey in a 757?

Telstar
2nd Nov 2011, 18:56
The Easy had and RTO due to a compressor stall or a compressor cough. There was a Ryanair on short final which had to go around. There were some outrageous reports in the local rags about swooping, plunging, disaster nearly avoided and the two coming within 10 feet. All a load of absolute bull$hit as usual. Much about nothing. Sorry to disappoint.

leslie_jones
2nd Nov 2011, 22:11
Thanks all for clarifying.
Best wishes,
Leslie