PDA

View Full Version : KG102A Gyro Repair

Dick Smith
25th Oct 2011, 04:04
I have just heard that the King Gyro for the KCS 55A compass system has become faulty in my Caravan – after about 1,500 hours of use. They are telling me an exchange gyro is $3,500 and to repair it will be $2,500 however I am going to replace it shortly with one of the new Garmin solid state gyros so I don’t want to waste too much money. Does anyone know where I can get a more reasonable repair on a KG102A gyro? I look forward to any advice or any suggestions.

Oliver Klozof
25th Oct 2011, 04:42
Dick,

If you're planning on going the Garmin solid-state route, why not just bite the bullet and do it now?

Or can you just use your KCS55A HSI as a DG for a while under an MEL or something? The KG102A just drives the 'slaving' but it can be done manually.

rioncentu
25th Oct 2011, 09:50
Just go glass Dick. You won't look back!

I think the aspen gets a lot of sales for folk in your exact predicament.

But yeah bite the bullet and go Garmin !

Cheers

27/09
25th Oct 2011, 10:01
I wouldn't bother repairing, I would go Aspen.

The Aspen is much more flexible with the gear it will interface with. The Garmin will not work with some older and not so old avionics, particularly non Garmin stuff.

For the price of the G600 you can buy two Aspen screens using one as an MFD that backs up as a standby gyro system if the other one ever fails.

Also you can display an NDB bearing pointer on the Aspen pretty sure you cannot do that with the Garmin. Aspen also have synthetic vision now.

If you really need to keep the old HSI a while longer have you considered the Sandel drop in replacement for the KG102. It will have a better resale value when you eventually upgrade to glass,