PDA

View Full Version : R44 Astros worth less!

alnic
24th Oct 2011, 23:32
RHC has now admitted that from end of first quarter of 2012, they will no longer produce main rotor blades and cyclic stick assemblies for non-hydraulic R44's.

Guess many owners will not be too impressed! Make sure you don't damage your blades from now on.:ugh:

Vertical Freedom
24th Oct 2011, 23:38
Make sure you don't damage your blades from now on.:ugh:
??????????????????????????????????

Unless they come off, :{ or delaminate on their own, :confused: as they a prone to do.
Live dangerously, fly a robo :eek:
Good Luck & Happy Landings.
VF

ascj
25th Oct 2011, 01:00
I thought there were laws that stated they have to. As what happened when Bell were going to stop producing parts for the 47..

alnic
25th Oct 2011, 03:52
Well, they are not saying that they will not support the Astro, just that you have to send them back to the factory and have hydraulics fitted for US$40,000 plus a set of new blades!:eek:

EMS R22
25th Oct 2011, 04:06
Noah might have some Astray blades on the arc....:ok:

jonwilson
25th Oct 2011, 09:30
If this information is true then it confirms my thoughts about the Robinson products. Cheap throw away items that devalue like a used Durex.

I still cannot understand why so many people are hooked by the product as being cheap but good helicopters. Worse still there are those that rate these on par if not better than the good ole Jetranger. Never.

If I want new blades for a 1978 B206 for example then Bell will sell me a set no problem! A 1978 B206 B3 is still worth £220 - £260k more than 30 years on. A 1998 Astro is no more than a gate guard!

Winnie
25th Oct 2011, 13:24
All it means is that there will be a mandatory upgrade to Raven I standards...

Has been that way for a few years if you sent your Astro to Robinson for the overhaul, you'd get back a Raven I, and obviously have to pay for the add ons as well..

Cheers
H.

jonwilson
25th Oct 2011, 21:02
Winnie,

I appreciate that point but I cannot think of another helicopter manufacturer that forces you to upgrade your helicopter at extra cost after only 12 years.

12 years in aircraft terms is nothing. For many a 12 year old helicopter is not far off new.

To be told that your Astro is un rebuildable unless upgraded to latest spec is crazy. A great money earner for Robinson granted but not good for the owner.

When you look at these Robinson cons it does make you wonder whether it was Frank Robinson's ploy all along to capture the inexperienced owner with a sales pitch about how cheap it is to run then kick them in the b***ocks after they bought one.

MLH
26th Oct 2011, 00:46
Owned two R44's over the years, things just keep getting worse. After the costly fuel tank SB and blade AD's won't own another.

PENNINE BOY
26th Oct 2011, 17:15
Emailed the factory last month re Blades, they stated that they would be supplying blades for the Astro for some time!

CRAN
26th Oct 2011, 20:13
Guys,

What are the prices of R22 and R44 blades these days?

CRAN

claudia
26th Oct 2011, 21:12
Cran, R44 main rotor blades - $25000 each including spindle !

CRAN
26th Oct 2011, 21:26
Given the high prices and the lack of customer satisfaction do people think there is a market for long life, high inertia, improved aerodynamic performance blades from an aftermarket supplier?

I'm thinking along the lines of what Carson did for the commercial Sikorsky S-61's.

Comments appriciated?

Cran

dusty crop
26th Oct 2011, 21:31
Oh dear...:ooh:

krypton_john
27th Oct 2011, 00:51
Claudia, I think that makes R44 blade costs roughly equate to B206 TT straps - assuming you can average 5 years a set!

Perra
27th Oct 2011, 09:43
Bell aparently give you a discount if the straps have not done 1200 hours within the 2 year limit. Don't know if that is something Robinson practice.

AdamFrisch
27th Oct 2011, 16:15
Why doesn't anyone come up with an STC for the TT straps and sell them for far less? It can't be that hard to get that done - external companies have STC's for blades and rotors and god knows what else..

FLY 7
27th Oct 2011, 16:25
TT Straps

Apple International Inc. - Buy T T Straps - 206Bell.com (http://www.206bell.com/buy-tension-torsion-straps)

jonwilson
27th Oct 2011, 19:18
Airwolf company supply straps for the 206.

krypton_john
27th Oct 2011, 22:18
A bit cheaper than Bell but still a lot of money throwing a way a barely used part every two years. Be interesting to see if their 36 month life comes to be. That extra 50% would be very nice.

Bell_Flyer
28th Oct 2011, 00:50
I used to feel cheated changing the TT straps to my factory new Bell 206 after only 100-150 hours usage, having to wait sometimes 2-4 days to order the straps - then I upgraded to an AS350. What the???? Parts can take up to 6 months to arrive. Crying AOG gets that period maybe down to half - maybe. And the arrogance of the dealing with the culture!!

Truth be told? They've collectively captured the market and however badly they treat the customers we'll be back for more... alas... It is only choosing between the lesser of a few evils.

Hell will freeze over before the 2 years TT straps extension is made - this topic has been done to death for 30 years or more. It ain't gonna happen soon, IMO.

krypton_john
28th Oct 2011, 02:23
I would have thought hell would freeze over before a 3rd party supplier would get an STC to manufacture the straps (to an improved design according to them). Having got that far, would have thought the extension would be the "easy" part.

206 jock
28th Oct 2011, 08:58
I'm having a set of Airwolf straps fitted in December.

Good that finally there is an alternative. The TT strap has been the Achilles heel of the 206 for far too long. So anything that moves the game on gets my vote.

I'll be interested to see if I can notice the difference.

jonwilson
28th Oct 2011, 12:51
206 Jock,

you will not notice any difference except a few quid extra in your pocket.
I flew a 206 with a set of these fitted the other week and it was as smooth as silk.

Still a lot of money for what they are though.